Courses and Uni (1 Viewer)

jenii14

HSC
N/A
Hi! I was thinking of doing law, but I'm unsure about what double degree would be the most. At this point I have these three as my options:
1. international studies
2. Commerce
3. Philosophy, politics and law
What do you guys think?
About the universities is it true that USYD and UNSW are the one's you should go for law. Especially with my family that believes those two universities are superior compared to the other. But I know that I would most probably be able to get into UOW and it's the one I like the most.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi! I was thinking of doing law, but I'm unsure about what double degree would be the most. At this point I have these three as my options:
1. international studies
2. Commerce
3. Philosophy, politics and law
What do you guys think?
About the universities is it true that USYD and UNSW are the one's you should go for law. Especially with my family that believes those two universities are superior compared to the other. But I know that I would most probably be able to get into UOW and it's the one I like the most.
Usyd's cutoff is 99.5. The alumni's are definitely going to have ego's of considerable size.

Usyd kid, "Pffft, UOW 92 Atar. I could have gotten that in yr 8. Lmfaooooo."

Keep in mind that the legal industry is pretty oversaturated, and that practicing law at an international law firm is a pretty small percentage of law graduates.

I could very well imagine that the top law firms wouldn't even bother looking at resumes from certain schools. And if it was based off schools, UOW law degree would be cut from the application pool sooner than USYD and UNSW.

quickoats

HSC
If you’re looking at “top tier” firms, they’ll probably start culling their applications by school, then marks - this is the quickest way to get a smaller amount of interviews.

However, if you’re looking into the more local side of things (assuming you’re from Wollongong), then as long as you have a law degree (LLB and JD are the same qualification) you should be fine.

Note that UNSW and USyd often have inflated cut-offs for most courses, so you shouldn’t rule them out based on that information alone, but if UOW is the one you like the most, then go for it!

Are you interested in any types of law? If you are, pick the double degree that suits it most e.g. Accounting if you like taxation law, Int St if you’re interested in international law etc.

Hope this helps :)

jenii14

HSC
N/A
If you’re looking at “top tier” firms, they’ll probably start culling their applications by school, then marks - this is the quickest way to get a smaller amount of interviews.

However, if you’re looking into the more local side of things (assuming you’re from Wollongong), then as long as you have a law degree (LLB and JD are the same qualification) you should be fine.

Note that UNSW and USyd often have inflated cut-offs for most courses, so you shouldn’t rule them out based on that information alone, but if UOW is the one you like the most, then go for it!

Are you interested in any types of law? If you are, pick the double degree that suits it most e.g. Accounting if you like taxation law, Int St if you’re interested in international law etc.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks! I'm not really looking for a big law firm and I'm not even sure if I want to be a lawyer. Like I might just jump somewhere in the legal industry. But I would rather do something to do with children's law or international law. Thanks! helped a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)