English how many quotes? (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
How many quotes do you actually need per paragraph and does more quotes = better mark?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
YOU MUST RECITE THE WHOLE BOOK IN THE ESSAY TO ACHIEVE A GREAT MARK. MY FRIEND HAS WRITTEN THE WHOLE DICTIONARY OUT AND HE IS GETTING A STATE RANK. 30 ESSAYS A DAY FOR A BAND 6 IF YOU FALL SHORT YOU WILL GET A BAND 1. THANK YOU!

More quotes do not directly correspond to a better mark. (iirc there's this guy that was spitting quotes left and right and he did really bad!)
It's more so the type of quotes as in how well to they support your given question or prove your point in a persuasive essay. You could spit out 10 quotes that have been rotely learned, but if it doesn't correspond to the question it won't strengthen your response. Also, the quality of the analysis is important, and how you can link textual evidence to your response is important.

I would say 2 quotes per paragraph, allowing room to explain their effect and purpose in one Body Paragraph since some can work hand-in-hand with each other and fuse to create a mega quote.

"I'm qualified, I got a couple of Zenkai Boosts from the time I bombed English."

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
More quotes doesn't really mean a better mark. The amount you should include also depends on the length of the quotes. I had around 4-6 quotes (roughly 5-10 words each) per paragraph for the essays, but these were short and selected in a way to only include the important parts.

Also, importantly the amount will also be dependent on the type of text you have. If you have a film then you should have other stuff like film techniques, so that will probably lower the quote amount. If you have things like a poem then you should also include analysis on the type of poem structure, tense and rhyming, which are sometimes as important as the quotes

Reactions: c8

dasfas

HSC
About 6-10 per paragraph. They don't have to be long, they can be one word. The biggest trap weaker students fall into is reciting a couple sentences of a quote ... takes time and usually only a couple words are actually useful for the analysis. Work on integrating your quotes into your analysis. It's a win win, more quotes, and smaller quotes are easier to remember

ie.

The poem's persona begins as a young female, drawing on biographical events of Plath as a child herself. The repetition the infantile “daddy's” coupled with “ooo" vowel sounds is reminiscent of a baby and conveys connotations of innocence. Plath deliberately constructs this persona as an uncorrupted child but then juxtaposes these attributes to jarring images of destructive Nazism. etc...

studiesofboard

HSC
2 examples per paragraph but up to 4 techniques. 1 example can have two techniques. You don't want to overwhelm them too much and not actually answering the question :)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
2 examples per paragraph but up to 4 techniques. 1 example can have two techniques. You don't want to overwhelm them too much and not actually answering the question :)
Your voice of reason came too late for me, I'm doing 8 per paragraph now because my teacher said so and this is the last day I have to prepare for it.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
8 techniques per paragraph what is your teacher on isn't that way too much 😂
That's what I thought, it seems like too much evidence to remember and analyse especially to go into depth. My bodies are basically a general statement + heaps of quotes and anal + link statement

dasfas

HSC
8 techniques per paragraph what is your teacher on isn't that way too much 😂
If you meant quotes, then nah, I don't believe so. My teacher taught several english state rankers, I have a hunch he knows his stuff. Note that these aren't big quotes, these can be a single word.

1592296972584.png

9 quotes right here. I think the question was something about Plath/Hughes' textual form.

studiesofboard

HSC
My teacher told us 3 techniques per paragraph max otherwise it is not going to be concise and it will just confuse the reader because there is too much information. Also, you only have 40 minutes in an exam so you have to use your time wisely and stick to answering the question :)

dasfas

HSC
My teacher told us 3 techniques per paragraph max otherwise it is not going to be concise and it will just confuse the reader because there is too much information. Also, you only have 40 minutes in an exam so you have to use your time wisely and stick to answering the question :)
yeah honestly there's more than one way to go about this so either works haha

beetree1

HSC
ive gotten 100 in all my english exams this year and i have always used 3-4 quotes in each para but please remember it is not the quantity of your quotes that will build your case, it is the quality of your analysis and how much it relates to the question you are asked!

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
If you meant quotes, then nah, I don't believe so. My teacher taught several english state rankers, I have a hunch he knows his stuff. Note that these aren't big quotes, these can be a single word.

View attachment 28421

9 quotes right here. I think the question was something about Plath/Hughes' textual form.
That's actually a question similar to what I will get, I'm also using Lady Lazarus and used almost all of the quotes you mentioned. This kinda puts me at ease then thanks.

dasfas

HSC
That's actually a question similar to what I will get, I'm also using Lady Lazarus and used almost all of the quotes you mentioned. This kinda puts me at ease then thanks.
ayy, good luck! lemme know if u want me to hook u up with my notes for plath/hughes, i'm selling my essays/poem notes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)