Still confused by the moderation (1 Viewer)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Say, five students
Internal:
A - 90
B - 85
C - 83
D - 80
E - 75

External:
B - 95
A - 85
C - 80
D - 85
E - 80

Internal mark of A becomes 95 since A is ranked first in the internals, but what happens to the internal marks to students like B?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
B gets 85 for their internal mark since they were second internally.

They take the second-highest result from the externals, and that becomes their internal mark.

So 85 internal, 95 external for student B which should get him a 90 overall which is a band 6.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
B gets 85 for their internal mark since they were second internally.

They take the second-highest result from the externals, and that becomes their internal mark.

So 85 internal, 95 external for student B which should get him a 90 overall which is a band 6.
So, say if you're the second and got an 70%+ for your internals, but the second highest external mark was like 40, you achieved an external mark of 90 but because of the moderation you can only get the forty. What's the point of studying hard for the externals then if you have a really bad cohort?

jojosiwa123

HSC
So, say if you're the second and got an 70%+ for your internals, but the second highest external mark was like 40, you achieved an external mark of 90 but because of the moderation you can only get the forty. What's the point of studying hard for the externals then if you have a really bad cohort?
welllll that's why selective schools do so well, their cohorts are really good and students are able to lift each others marks up, while at most other schools only 1-3 people get a band 6 in every subject. This is why ranks are so important especially for those w bad cohorts as the higher your rank is the less you'll be impacted by your year group's performance.
Your internal mark of 70% doesn't matter, as all schools mark papers differently. The moderation is to even out everyone in the state's school marks and hsc marks. For example the 70% at someone's school might just equal 40% in the HSC due to easier marking at school or easy assignments.

studying for externals is still really important bc they're worth 50%.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It’s not exactly a one-to-one allocation of external marks like that.

The gaps between the internal marks are largely preserved. So if there is a small gap between first and second in the internals then that gap remains small, regardless of what that gap looks like for externals.

This is achieved by fitting a curve through the internal marks such that the endpoints of the curve are similar to the top/bottom external marks and the cohort average for internals equals the cohort average for externals.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
It’s not exactly a one-to-one allocation of external marks like that.

The gaps between of the internal marks are largely preserved. So if there is a small gap between first and second in the internals then that gap remains small, regardless of what that gap looks like for externals.

This is achieved by fitting a curve through the internal marks such that the endpoints of the curve are similar to the top/bottom external marks and the cohort average for internals equals the cohort average for externals.
I've heard from the teacher who "taught" us about the moderation, saying that you only get the marks from the person who has the same rank of the externals as your rank for your internals, but I also see some people say that it also depends on the gaps between the one higher than you and the one lower than you, so I'm confused and just hope someone can clarify it for me.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've heard from the teacher who "taught" us about the moderation, saying that you only get the marks from the person who has the same rank of the externals as your rank for your internals, but I also see some people say that it also depends on the gaps between the one higher than you and the one lower than you, so I'm confused and just hope someone can clarify it for me.
There are a lot of myths out there. Suggest having a read of NESA’s official explanation, which is consistent with what I have said:

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
welllll that's why selective schools do so well, their cohorts are really good and students are able to lift each others marks up, while at most other schools only 1-3 people get a band 6 in every subject. This is why ranks are so important especially for those w bad cohorts as the higher your rank is the less you'll be impacted by your year group's performance.
Your internal mark of 70% doesn't matter, as all schools mark papers differently. The moderation is to even out everyone in the state's school marks and hsc marks. For example the 70% at someone's school might just equal 40% in the HSC due to easier marking at school or easy assignments.

studying for externals is still really important bc they're worth 50%.
I know that.. what I mean is that if you didn't get the best mark and if you have a really bad cohort, what is the point to do well in the hsc exam since your probably not going to get the marks you want? I'm just being negative so ye

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
Hey! So for internals, my final rank is first for a few subjects. Although I'm completely losing motivation to study for HSC. I've heard that whoever is first internally is given whatever the highest external mark is for that subject in your school. Is this true?

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey! So for internals, my final rank is first for a few subjects. Although I'm completely losing motivation to study for HSC. I've heard that whoever is first internally is given whatever the highest external mark is for that subject in your school. Is this true?
Yes. You still have hope

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Hell yes!
I swear COVID and online school is killing me. I just want this to be over.
I mean, you still have to come first for your HSC exam to get it. If you become first for both, both of your marks become the same. If you become last, both of your marks also become the same. If you're neither first or last on both internal and external than it's just normal alignments.

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
I mean, you still have to come first for your HSC exam to get it. If you become first for both, both of your marks become the same. If you become last, both of your marks also become the same. If you're neither first or last on both internal and external than it's just normal alignments.
Wait what? So I'm basically screwed hahahah. No way I can come first for my HSC.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait what? So I'm basically screwed hahahah. No way I can come first for my HSC.
You're not screwed, if you can get first internally then it's safe to think that you're not going to do badly in your externals. If you're starting to lose motivation, take a day or two off. It's less than a month for your HSC to end now.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry my fault, if you get first externally you get the same mark as the one who gets first internally. Just remembered that's what happened to me last year

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh damn. Someone else about to take my marks hahaha
Not really. For example, you get 93% internally and 95 externally, and you rank first on your internals and second for your externals, and the one who ranked first externally scored 85% internally and 96 externally. Since he got first externally, his mark is going to change to 93%, but remember your internal mark's barely going to change. Now his mark's going to be 93% internally and 96 externally, whilst your internal mark is barely going to change, so it's going to be near 93% internally (maybe a couple of percentages down, depends on the difference between you and the guy who scored second internally, in this case, is probably going to be roughly around 90%) and 95 externally (external marks doesn't get aligned).

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
Not really. For example, you get 93% internally and 95 externally, and you rank first on your internals and second for your externals, and the one who ranked first externally scored 85% internally and 96 externally. Since he got first externally, his mark is going to change to 93%, but remember your internal mark's barely going to change. Now his mark's going to be 93% internally and 96 externally, whilst your internal mark is barely going to change, so it's going to be near 93% internally (maybe a couple of percentages down, depends on the difference between you and the guy who scored second internally, in this case, is probably going to be roughly around 90%) and 95 externally (external marks doesn't get aligned).
Okay this makes sense! Thanks for the explanation! My teachers have kinda been telling me the opposite and saying that my external mark will be matched to the person who got the highest externally. Hahah this is all very confusing.

Out of curiosity, what course are you studying at uni?

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay this makes sense! Thanks for the explanation! My teachers have kinda been telling me the opposite and saying that my external mark will be matched to the person who got the highest externally. Hahah this is all very confusing.

Out of curiosity, what course are you studying at uni?
Bachelor of Commerce. Go to the Moderation Example section on this this site for internal mark moderation https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/hsc/about-HSC/moderation. I'm pretty sure it's the same as last year, but just in case that it changed。

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)