Handwriting help to write neater AND faster (1 Viewer)

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi y'all!

Any useful tips that would aid me in writing faster and neater? I write quite fast, and my handwriting is literally illegible. My teachers are speaking to me regarding my handwriting in trials and they are not happy. Any help would be appreciated.

Much thanks!

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
my English teacher spoke to me for the same reason but the advice she gave is to just write less. it's a real tough job to write fast and neat, but you can make it work if you cut down your essays or responses from 1200 words to 900 words, for instance. an illegible 10-page response is definitely not better than a legible 7-page response

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
my English teacher spoke to me for the same reason but the advice she gave is to just write less. it's a real tough job to write fast and neat, but you can make it work if you cut down your essays or responses from 1200 words to 900 words, for instance. an illegible 10-page response is definitely not better than a legible 7-page response
Thank you!

I definitely agree. However, the issue I'm battling is what if writing less would end up compromising my marks? Do you get me?

Edit: I also think messy handwriting comes with stress, and the need to put all my thoughts down on paper

quickoats

HSC
There’s a difference between neat writing and legible writing. As long as the teacher can read the writing it should be fine - it can be ugly af but make sure you can figure out what was written.

Try to seperate your letters and write each letter individually rather than squiggled cursive - this should help with legibility. Also space your letters so they don’t run into each other.

This might sound psychopathic but I used a few different handwritings in my trials/HSC - one of my teachers picked up that there were 2 sets of handwriting (one for each essay) :p. For subjects where I didn’t have to rush I used my normal handwriting (which is small and tidy) but for exams where I had to rush I wrote like a child with bigger strokes and bumpy slants.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
There’s a difference between neat writing and legible writing. As long as the teacher can read the writing it should be fine - it can be ugly af but make sure you can figure out what was written.

Try to seperate your letters and write each letter individually rather than squiggled cursive - this should help with legibility. Also space your letters so they don’t run into each other.

This might sound psychopathic but I used a few different handwritings in my trials/HSC - one of my teachers picked up that there were 2 sets of handwriting (one for each essay) :p. For subjects where I didn’t have to rush I used my normal handwriting (which is small and tidy) but for exams where I had to rush I wrote like a child with bigger strokes and bumpy slants.

This is great advice which I'll be sure to try out! Thank you so much!

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Thank you!

I definitely agree. However, the issue I'm battling is what if writing less would end up compromising my marks? Do you get me?

Edit: I also think messy handwriting comes with stress, and the need to put all my thoughts down on paper
yess I totally understand, that was my exact concern as well. however it's quality over quantity. it's totally possible to get full marks with less content and I can say this from personal experience. my marks improved drastically in English once I started shortening my essays and writing more legibly, and it surprised me because I've always thought more writing = more marks, but it's really not the case!!

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
yess I totally understand, that was my exact concern as well. however it's quality over quantity. it's totally possible to get full marks with less content and I can say this from personal experience. my marks improved drastically in English once I started shortening my essays and writing more legibly, and it surprised me because I've always thought more writing = more marks, but it's really not the case!!
Okay perfect! Thank you so much- I'll definitely implement it!

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Although I have neat writing, if my hand was getting sore or I was in a time crunch I was definitely prone to messy, barely legible writing. My teacher told me to start writing bigger when that started to happen. Therefore I'm not slowing down by trying to write neater, but generally the bigger your letters the more legible they should be... even if messy. That's just my tip.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I suspect your hand gets sore because you are not holding your pen the right way. From my observation, maybe 3 out of 4 people nowadays have the wrong grip.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
I suspect your hand gets sore because you are not holding your pen the right way. From my observation, maybe 3 out of 4 people nowadays have the wrong grip.
It doesn't get sore tbh. I think it's fair to say I've gotten used to all this writing lol. And yes, that's a correct observation, I've also seen quite a lot of students have an incorrect grip.

idkkdi

HSC
So how do you not kill your thumb while writing fast in the triangle death grip? Pretty sure that gripping hard is needed for the control to write faster.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Although I have neat writing, if my hand was getting sore or I was in a time crunch I was definitely prone to messy, barely legible writing. My teacher told me to start writing bigger when that started to happen. Therefore I'm not slowing down by trying to write neater, but generally the bigger your letters the more legible they should be... even if messy. That's just my tip.
I agree! I'm definitely going to try writing bigger- hoping that although it may be a little messy, it may still be legible.

Thank you, much appreciated!

Nikolerak

HSC
Wouldn't writing bigger take more time?

Auzendriel

HSC
Oh my god you're a whovian

hscstudnet

HSC
Everyone used to tell me attach battery to the back of pens but apparently it doesnt work not sure

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone used to tell me attach battery to the back of pens but apparently it doesnt work not sure
I tried that through attaching a weight to my pen just a few months before trials. It worked for me by allowing me to write faster, but my handwriting became really messy and illegible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)