Engineers Australia (1 Viewer)

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
Can an engineering student join Engineers Australia? If so, how do you sign up?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, they usually visit campuses and encourage first years to sign up. As would Professionals Australia.

You can sign up here, you get a membership card and can technically use the postnominal "StudIEAust": https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/Membership/Membership-Benefits/Student-Membership-Benefits

What I will warn you about though is that after graduation, membership isn't free and they will try to contact you about becoming a member. Professionals Australia on the other hand charge a small fee for students, but this automatically ramps up as you graduate and (while tax deductible etc.) a few years after graduation it's a non-trivial amount of money.

With the low fees or free membership for students, and while hunting for internships/grad positions, I think it can only help joining these types of associations but once in industry it's worth re-evaluating your membership based on what you're getting out of it.

Cujo10

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in my first year so would you recommend to join now or wait later?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm in my first year so would you recommend to join now or wait later?
First year would be when most people sign up i'd say, at least pre-COVID they would usually hit the subjects in first year that span multiple majors. E.g. Engineering Communications at UTS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)