Psychology USYD or Maq or UNSW or UWS (1 Viewer)

Amina

HSC
hello i really want to get into psychology at usyd. the atar is 96. i knew this girl who 2 years ago got into the course with a 93 atar so i was just wondering (if anyone has knowledge, or first hand experience) are they lenient with allowing people in with atar scores less than 96? thank you.
Also a psychologist i spoke to who studied at usyd and then studied post grad at uws recommended that the uws study environment is better than usyd and i should apply for uws. not that theres anything wrong with uws but i just have always wanted to go to usyd. does anyone have any thoughts/opinion on that statement?
finally, as the title suggests, psychology at usyd or maq or unsw or uws? thank you

meDAawesome

HSC
You can always start off by studying a Bachelor of Science (83 Atar) or Bachelor of Arts (Atar 82.5) at USYD majoring in psychology, and then transfer into the Bachelor of Psychology in your second year. You study the exact same psychology subjects in arts or science as the b.psychology students do. The only difference between the degrees is the Bachelor of Psychology includes an honours year, where in science or arts you have to apply and meet certain requirements to be accepted into psychology honours. Also another difference is if you wanna study stuff in science/arts other than psychology, like maths or politics etc.

Don't be put off going to USYD just because you might not get 96, if USYD is truly the university you want to study at, you can do psychology in arts or science.

sida1049

HSC
You can always start off by studying a Bachelor of Science (83 Atar) or Bachelor of Arts (Atar 82.5) at USYD majoring in psychology, and then transfer into the Bachelor of Psychology in your second year. You study the exact same psychology subjects in arts or science as the b.psychology students do. The only difference between the degrees is the Bachelor of Psychology includes an honours year, where in science or arts you have to apply and meet certain requirements to be accepted into psychology honours. Also another difference is if you wanna study stuff in science/arts other than psychology, like maths or politics etc.

Don't be put off going to USYD just because you might not get 96, if USYD is truly the university you want to study at, you can do psychology in arts or science.
^ This.

Also, I know people who have gotten the 96 cutoff, and still decided to do psychology under B Science instead.

Nonetheless, USYD does have a flexible entry scheme that accepts you if you are below cutoff.

Here's a useful website USYD's released recently that gives you some insight into the more realistic cutoffs needed, and for B Psychology, the lowest ATAR they've accepted last year was 91.00 (which is the maximum ATAR points gained through flexible entry).

Also, be aware that you can choose to study psychology under the Science stream or the Arts and Social Sciences stream. The Science stream allows you to major additionally in a Science major if you choose to, while the Arts and Social Sciences stream allows you to major in an additional Arts major if you choose to. Furthermore, the stream which you choose influences the electives you take. If you are considering to pick B Science or B Arts to be safe, choose the former if you want to enrol into the Science stream (note that there is a requirement of 4 compulsory junior mathematics courses [which I personally recommend; statistics is very {an understatement} useful for aspiring psychology students]), or the latter if you want to enrol into the Arts stream.

Good luck.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Since Comm/Sci is 5 years at USYD, is it possible to do 3 majors in that degree? (Finance/Fin. Mathematics/Psychology)

sida1049

HSC
Since Comm/Sci is 5 years at USYD, is it possible to do 3 majors in that degree? (Finance/Fin. Mathematics/Psychology)
Yes. I'm doing a 4 year degree at USYD and I'm still triple majoring.

quickoats

HSC
Psychology is a saturated field so the calibre of the University matters more.
I thought clinical/registered psychology was in high demand? The difficult part is getting all the hons/masters requirements in which it might be better to go to a smaller uni so you can develop a good rapport with the academics.

May i ask why? because i got early entry to wsu for Psy hons, but idk if i should accept
As you have psych hons it would be better to go to WSU than going to a different uni (e.g. USyd BSc Psych without hons) since it guarantees the honours pathway. That way you can fulfil the requirements to become a registered psych where hons is required.

mmmm.

HSC
As you have psych hons it would be better to go to WSU than going to a different uni (e.g. USyd BSc Psych without hons) since it guarantees the honours pathway. That way you can fulfil the requirements to become a registered psych where hons is required.
Even though i have psych hons, i would still need to meet the requirement to get into honors which i believe is a GPA above 5 (out of 7).

quickoats

HSC
Even though i have psych hons, i would still need to meet the requirement to get into honors which i believe is a GPA above 5 (out of 7).
Unless you get into a similar Psych Hons program at a more prestigious University, it is better to go to WSU with a somewhat guarantee, rather than doing BA or BSc and having to fight to get a place in psychology based honours.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Psychology is a saturated field so the calibre of the University matters more.
But I thought on the QS it's ranked in 101-151?

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
i thought it was the opposite of this
I meant like in demand for shrink jobs. There’s an oversaturation of 4yr Psych students competing for spots in the necessary Masters degrees. I think spots are constrained in such programs so that the profession stays regulated idk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)