Russia and Soviet Union (1 Viewer)

mmmm.

HSC
Could someone please help me with this DP:
- Reasons for the emergence of Stalin as leader of the USSR by the late 1920s

Particularly with this reason -> Political Skills: manipulation and opportunism

Vitrecan

HSC
I vaguely remember that during Lenin's reign as Premier, he gave Stalin the weak office of General Secretary, who's role was to give out jobs to party members, but he eventually gave jobs to his friends and cronies. Although Lenin had no intentions of appointing Stalin as his successor, by then, when Lenin was detoriating, Stalin was already consolidated his power through his allies and made his office of General Secretary the de facto leader of union. But like I said, I don't remember it too well.

Also fun fact:

1602463774109.png

This was Joseph Styling during his youth.

Mememeist3r

HSC
Just going to write briefly here:
  • Stalin was given the role of General Secretary, which unassuming and unimportant at a glance, was actually very useful through Stalin's manipulation as he could use it to coordinate meetings between important Bolshevik party members and build up a reliable network of supporters and cadres.
    • Infamously he misled Trotsky (his primary rival) on the date of Lenin's funeral, smearing his image and degrading support for Trotsky
  • Stalin purposefully appeared passive and unenterprising to reduce his own perception as a threat by other communists gunning for the leadership role. No-one really expected Stalin to take over when he did, using surprise to his advantage.
  • Trotsky, Stalin's rival, was divisive. He was hated by many for being a Menshevik convert, raising concerns of being unfaithful to the cause and traitorous as well as being Jewish (anti-Semitism was pretty prevalent across Europe including the USSR). Further his image wasn't helped by his snobbish, intellectual and often elitist attitude that annoyed fellow Bolsheviks, who were often had more humble origins. Stalin on the other hand was born into a poor peasant family in rural Georgia and more "true as a Bolshevik" in that way.
  • Naturally Stalin exploited Trotsky's image and vilified him to an extensive degree, basically labelling him as a traitor to Bolshevism.
There are quite a few other reasons that you can read into; it's a really interesting topic.

jojosiwa123

HSC
I vaguely remember that during Lenin's reign as Premier, he gave Stalin the weak office of General Secretary, who's role was to give out jobs to party members, but he eventually gave jobs to his friends and cronies. Although Lenin had no intentions of appointing Stalin as his successor, by then, when Lenin was detoriating, Stalin was already consolidated his power through his allies and made his office of General Secretary the de facto leader of union. But like I said, I don't remember it too well.

Also fun fact:

View attachment 29139

This was Joseph Styling during his youth.
why does every modern class have that one kid obsessed with young stalin

jojosiwa123

HSC
2 main reasons:
-Trotsky was of superior intellect (and Lenin's own preference for successor) however had few allies.
-Stalin began to fill up the Party with entirely his own supporters so he was able to exile Trotsky with the support of the party.
other reasons: the development of Stalinism (although Stalin operated under the guise of "Marxist Leninism")--> a cult of personality was formed for Stalin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)