!!!!urgent help needed on moving schools (1 Viewer)

wzsmartypants

HSC
maybe not because when I turn yr 9 I will be at the top class for mainstream because the class is sorted by the top 30 kids at maths from mainstream

Kurrison

HSC
maybe not because when I turn yr 9 I will be at the top class for mainstream because the class is sorted by the top 30 kids at maths from mainstream
Go for it, I think selective high schools have big eyes on kids from Chatswood High School

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Yes, my comment about North Sydney Girls was directed at the OP, a girl... but I did not notice that it was an older thread.

To @wzsmartypants, I'd ask whether North Sydney Boys is an option. It is also a selective public school, and while I think NSGHS is better than NSBHS, they are both excellent schools.

wzsmartypants

HSC
Yes, my comment about North Sydney Girls was directed at the OP, a girl... but I did not notice that it was an older thread.

To @wzsmartypants, I'd ask whether North Sydney Boys is an option. It is also a selective public school, and while I think NSGHS is better than NSBHS, they are both excellent schools.
yes I was talking about non selective schools if you could provide some comments on Chatswood High that would be great

idkkdi

HSC

any particular reason for NSGHS being better? Pretty sure NSBHS ranks higher.

beetree1

HSC
yes I was talking about non selective schools if you could provide some comments on Chatswood High that would be great
I think if you're worried about the drugs etc in Chatswood, just keep in mind that most nonselective schools are pretty much all like that

Kurrison

HSC

He already tried out for it

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
My apologies.

I have no recent information / experience with Chatswood High, but I do know that it used to have the reputation for having some problems. If it is a better option than your current school, that's a positive. It's worth noting, though, that the importance of the school environment varies between students. As a simple example, I had a poor teacher in one year in junior science. Most of the class went down in performance as a consequence. I went up because it motivated me to learn the material independently in class. The year before I had an excellent teacher which lulled me into a false sense of security that I was learning all I needed, when actually I became complacent. If your style / tendency is to go with the general pattern then the school environment is more important. As another example, I have seen students who would be high performers at most schools but are more mid-range / average at a highly selective school. Some respond to the environment and are pushed to achieve... others are discouraged by not being near the top and withdraw.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
He already tried out for it
Sorry, I didn't realise that.
any particular reason for NSGHS being better? Pretty sure NSBHS ranks higher.
I have dealt with students from both schools over the years, so it's based on my experiences. NSBHS has certainly changed quite a bit over the years (I have a brother who went there), and certainly for the better.

Kurrison

HSC
I am genuinely agreed with you that NSBHS has changed a lot, mostly there was a petition that they wanted Latin to return to NSBHS and nicknames for the jerseys fully. (I had a cousin who went there as well).
It seemed you know a lot about selective, then can you tell me what is good about Normanhurst Boys, Sydney Boys, Baulkham Hills and Sydney Grammar since I got offered for all four schools that I applied.

wzsmartypants

HSC
I am genuinely agreed with you that NSBHS has changed a lot, mostly there was a petition that they wanted Latin to return to NSBHS and nicknames for the jerseys fully. (I had a cousin who went there as well).
It seemed you know a lot about selective, then can you tell me what is good about Normanhurst Boys, Sydney Boys, Baulkham Hills and Sydney Grammar since I got offered for all four schools that I applied.
bruh go grammar ur so insane getting scholarship at grammar. Full scholarship?

idkkdi

HSC
go grammar if you can comfortably pay it.

beetree1

HSC
  • Normanhurst: I have a few friends there. They are not amazing academically but if you yourself are a strong student, you will have high chances at getting a good atar - one of my friends came around top 10 for everything and landed himself a 99 atar! Environment is chill and everyone is super kind
  • Sydney Boys: My brother is also year 2022 and goes there. Their cohort is really strong that year, especially in maths and science so if you are interested in those subjects, I would recommend (although their english is quite weak). School is chill, but their sport is a commitment.
  • Baulkham Hills: Needless to say, but amazing school. I would apply for Baulkham over the others.
  • Grammar: Has had really high rankings lately (but mostly from languages and random subjects ugh). But as iddkdi said, go if you can comfortably pay their school fees. But I have also heard that their work environment is not as good due to the nature of priv schools haha

idkkdi

HSC
  • Normanhurst: I have a few friends there. They are not amazing academically but if you yourself are a strong student, you will have high chances at getting a good atar - one of my friends came around top 10 for everything and landed himself a 99 atar! Environment is chill and everyone is super kind
  • Sydney Boys: My brother is also year 2022 and goes there. Their cohort is really strong that year, especially in maths and science so if you are interested in those subjects, I would recommend (although their english is quite weak). School is chill, but their sport is a commitment.
  • Baulkham Hills: Needless to say, but amazing school. I would apply for Baulkham over the others.
  • Grammar: Has had really high rankings lately (but mostly from languages and random subjects ugh). But as iddkdi said, go if you can comfortably pay their school fees. But I have also heard that their work environment is not as good due to the nature of priv schools haha
grammar's work environment is fine. they have more making olympiad training camps than all of the other aforementioned schools.

more importantly, their teachers are beasts. all our Cambridge maths books are written by grammar teachers.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
grammar's work environment is fine. they have more making olympiad training camps than all of the other aforementioned schools.

more importantly, their teachers are beasts. all our Cambridge maths books are written by grammar teachers.
I second this.

While the top selective schools like ruse and baulko have better students on average, their teachers I would say are no match for grammar.

There was a time when grammar used to be 1st in the state until Ruse’s streak started.

beetree1

HSC
I second this.

While the top selective schools like ruse and baulko have better students on average, their teachers I would say are no match for grammar.

There was a time when grammar used to be 1st in the state until Ruse’s streak started.
Never mind :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)