Can you see what is wrong with this question? (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
There is something wrong with this example from New Senior Mathematics Advanced on pages 561-562. Can you see what it is?

(Hint 1: there is nothing wrong with the calculation.)

(Hint 2: you can fix it by replacing -3(x-1)2+2 with -6(x-0.5)2+1.5 in which case the answer is 0.784 - but can you see why?)

(Hint 3: without changing the function find P(X ≤ 0.1) instead.)

Last edited:

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Idk if I'm really dumb but I can't understand what you wrote, I have no clue what you're asking or what your hints are talking about. I don't see anything wrong in the working out.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Idk if I'm really dumb but I can't understand what you wrote, I have no clue what you're asking or what your hints are talking about. I don't see anything wrong in the working out.
OK. Here is hint 4:

Do you think these conditions are satisfied by the example above?

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Yes I found that f(x) was less than 0 from hint 3 but I don't think it mattered for the question since it asked for 0.7 and it's just an example question.
That means that the function is NOT a probability density function.

If you find P(X ≤ 0.1) then you get a negative answer. So it is NOT a probability.

You can turn it into a probability density function so that it satisfies both conditions by replacing -3(x-1)2+2 with -6(x-0.5)2+1.5.

大きい男

HSC
That means that the function is NOT a probability density function.

If you find P(X ≤ 0.1) then you get a negative answer. So it is NOT a probability.

You can turn it into a probability density function so that it satisfies both conditions by replacing -3(x-1)2+2 with -6(x-0.5)2+1.5.
Do you think it would be necessary, in an exam, to verify that f(x) is a pdf or do you just assume that it is?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Do you think it would be necessary, in an exam, to verify that f(x) is a pdf or do you just assume that it is?
If this was an exam question it would be completely invalid.

An exam might ask you to verify that a function qualifies as a probability density function, in which case you show that it satisfies both conditions.

The authors of this textbook thought that it was an example of a probability density function. But it is actually an example of a function which is NOT a probability density function.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Have a look at Example 4 too. That is also not a pdf.

I would of course like to replace this with 2 questions

Question 1.

Question 2 (a little more challenging).

What can you do to fix this question to make it a probability density function?

idkkdi

HSC
Have a look at Example 4 too. That is also not a pdf.

I would of course like to replace this with 2 questions

Question 1.

Question 2 (a little more challenging).

What can you do to fix this question to make it a probability density function?
integrate for q2, then stretch vertically by the factor required to make the area under the function 1.

idkkdi

HSC
There is something wrong with this example from New Senior Mathematics Advanced on pages 561-562. Can you see what it is?

(Hint 1: there is nothing wrong with the calculation.)

(Hint 2: you can fix it by replacing -3(x-1)2+2 with -6(x-0.5)2+1.5 in which case the answer is 0.784 - but can you see why?)

(Hint 3: without changing the function find P(X ≤ 0.1) instead.)
hint 2, subbing in the extreme values into the new equation yields 0 for f(x) at the extreme points.

However, how would you actually realise what to switch the equation to?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
For to be a PDF, we require

Assuming that it is otherwise suitable, and thus that , we can form a suitable PDF and find by requiring

and then checking that . In this case, the latter condition will be fine so long as

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)