Prelim Chem and Phys (1 Viewer)

hstb_

HSC
Hey guys, I want to do chem and phys in yr 11 and i was wondering if yr10 topics will be repeated again in prelim. Like would i need to have a very deep undertsanding of the chem and phys topics covered in yr10 to do well in prelim? Thank you

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I want to do chem and phys in yr 11 and i was wondering if yr10 topics will be repeated again in prelim. Like would i need to have a very deep undertsanding of the chem and phys topics covered in yr10 to do well in prelim? Thank you
No not necessarily, for Chemistry my Science teacher in Year 10 didn't teach us how to balance equations whereas other schools had already learnt it. In Year 11, although I was rusty at balancing equations from self teaching myself in Year 10, prelim stuff helped clarify my understanding and make me more fluent at balancing.
So no, you don't need to have a deep understanding of junior Chemistry and you could go in with almost no knowledge at all (at least in my opinion), although you may notice your teacher referencing concepts you did in Year 10 and in that case perhaps may be a good opportunity to brush up on your knowledge at that point.

Yes though, Year 10 topics are repeated in prelims (or HSC in some cases) but talked about obviously in heaps more depth.

hstb_

HSC
No not necessarily, for Chemistry my Science teacher in Year 10 didn't teach us how to balance equations whereas other schools had already learnt it. In Year 11, although I was rusty at balancing equations from self teaching myself in Year 10, prelim stuff helped clarify my understanding and make me more fluent at balancing.
So no, you don't need to have a deep understanding of junior Chemistry and you could go in with almost no knowledge at all (at least in my opinion), although you may notice your teacher referencing concepts you did in Year 10 and in that case perhaps may be a good opportunity to brush up on your knowledge at that point.

Yes though, Year 10 topics are repeated in prelims (or HSC in some cases) but talked about obviously in heaps more depth.
Thanks for the insight!

What about physics?

Vaibhav123456

HSC
For Physics it's quite helpful knowing Y10 content for Mod 1 and 2 but after that you dont really need it. For chem just know: how to balance, polyatomic ions, the structure of atoms and the types of compounds(ionic, molecular etc), and the basic types of reactions e.g. precipitation, decomposition etc. Don't worry about the acid base stuff because thats in Y12 and Y10 is really basic content.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the insight!

What about physics?
Only did physics in Year 11 but you learn a bit of Mod 1/2 in Year 10 and I think electricity stuff earlier on which might be useful for Mod 3/4

hstb_

HSC
For Physics it's quite helpful knowing Y10 content for Mod 1 and 2 but after that you dont really need it. For chem just know: how to balance, polyatomic ions, the structure of atoms and the types of compounds(ionic, molecular etc), and the basic types of reactions e.g. precipitation, decomposition etc. Don't worry about the acid base stuff because thats in Y12 and Y10 is really basic content.
thank you!

tito981

HSC
I didnt pay attention in science from yr 7-10 but just self studied mod 1 for phys and chem in the summer hols and it was enough to do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)