Anyone doing medicine in uni rn?šŸ§ (1 Viewer)

YonOra

HSC
I have no idea how they determine this, nor of its reliability:

But, seems like Melbourne takes home #1

vernburn

HSC
If you want to do med, the reputation of the uni shouldnā€™t matter and once you enter the workforce after med school, no one looks at which uni you went to (so someone from UMelb is same as someone from Bond).

I have heard that these rankings arenā€™t really that accurate.

glizzyseal

HSC

These rankings are (largely) bs. And UMelb actually has a really questionable undergrad program for medicine.

edds7575

HSC
Those rankings are mostly based on research output, which isn't really relevant to the quality of teaching at the uni. All unis in Australia are AMC accredited, and the uni you went to has no bearing on what you do later in medicine. And as said before, most people are lucky to even get a single offer, and for those who are fortunate enough to get multiple offers, prestige should be the last factor that you consider.

YonOra

HSC
Guess it's good that i don't want to do med then :)

YonOra

HSC
I don't think this is accurate lol UMelb is notoriuous for being way too academically focused rather than the actual clinical side. anyways tho medicine is the one degree where rankings don't matter, just get your degree in australia and u should be good. law on the other hand...
Yeah, think this was established

edds7575

HSC
I don't think this is accurate lol UMelb is notoriuous for being way too academically focused rather than the actual clinical side. anyways tho medicine is the one degree where rankings don't matter, just get your degree in australia and u should be good. law on the other hand...
eh unimelb was actually known for the opposite. It has 2.5 clinical years out of 4, which is much more than the 2 years other unis get. This was the main reason a lot of graduates preferenced unimelb first

idkkdi

HSC
If you want to do med, the reputation of the uni shouldnā€™t matter and once you enter the workforce after med school, no one looks at which uni you went to (so someone from UMelb is same as someone from Bond).

I have heard that these rankings arenā€™t really that accurate.
Nah, Bond students have some fat cash. Clearly a difference.

vernburn

HSC
Nah, Bond students have some fat cash. Clearly a difference.
Whilst this may be true, once you graduate you simply have a medical degree and that is all hospitals see. They donā€™t look at what University you have graduated from. Every domestic medical student is guaranteed an internship anyway. After that, any future places (resident, registrar etc.) are based on your effectiveness as a doctor (and possibly any research you have done). So the uni you go to really doesnā€™t matter.

idkkdi

HSC
Whilst this may be true, once you graduate you simply have a medical degree and that is all hospitals see. They donā€™t look at what University you have graduated from. Every domestic medical student is guaranteed an internship anyway. After that, any future places (resident, registrar etc.) are based on your effectiveness as a doctor (and possibly any research you have done). So the uni you go to really doesnā€™t matter.
I mean the students that go to bond uni have huge money lol.

2xq

HSC
Uni Grad
I mean the students that go to bond uni have huge money lol.
not necessarily. some students that go bond are those that are extremely passionate with parents that are willing to put blood sweat and tears into getting their child into their dream course. just cause bond is FFP doesnt mean that you can make the generalisation that students that go to bond have huge money.

YonOra

HSC
not necessarily. some students that go bond are those that are extremely passionate with parents that are willing to put blood sweat and tears into getting their child into their dream course. just cause bond is FFP doesnt mean that you can make the generalisation that students that go to bond have huge money.
Its a fairly safe educated guess imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)