How to get free sample or past Year 7 scholarship exams? (1 Viewer)

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
Hi all

does anyone know where i can get free sample or past Year 7 scholarship exams that are run by Academic Assessment Services?
they don't have any on their website so trying to get an idea what these exams are like

I've seen some online companies sell test papers but am looking for something free if possible?

thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited:
HSC
Hi all

does anyone know where i can get free sample or past Year 7 scholarship exams that are run by Academic Assessment Services?
they don't have any on their website so trying to get an idea what these exams are like

I've seen some online companies sell test papers but am looking for something free if possible?

thanks in advance for any advice
There aren't free stuff unless you pirate them from sites like libgen.is and zlibrary.org. Also, because I've done those type of tests before, I know from past experience that getting such books is basically useless. Most of the time, the actual tests are different from the ones you'll find in those books/practice test papers [well at least for Yr 7 scholarship stuff]. Instead, just get yourself practice papers and books from the grade above you [in this case yr 8] and practice the stuff you are looking for. In my opinion, those practice test stuff [in yr 7] are a bunch of crap where companies just try making profits advertising those 'practice tests'.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
There aren't free stuff unless you pirate them from sites like libgen.is and zlibrary.org. Also, because I've done those type of tests before, I know from past experience that getting such books is basically useless. Most of the time, the actual tests are different from the ones you'll find in those books/practice test papers [well at least for Yr 7 scholarship stuff]. Instead, just get yourself practice papers and books from the grade above you [in this case yr 8] and practice the stuff you are looking for. In my opinion, those practice test stuff [in yr 7] are a bunch of crap where companies just try making profits advertising those 'practice tests'.
Hope this helps.
thanks thats helpful
do you know what level you need to be academically to do well in the year 7 scholarship tests?
- the online info claims that you shouldn't try to prepare for the test as prep won't help - do you think thats BS?
- i've also read that you should be academically about 2 years ahead eg if you are in year 6, you should be able to get A-grades in year 8 tests - is that about right?

HSC
thanks thats helpful
do you know what level you need to be academically to do well in the year 7 scholarship tests?
- the online info claims that you shouldn't try to prepare for the test as prep won't help - do you think thats BS?
- i've also read that you should be academically about 2 years ahead eg if you are in year 6, you should be able to get A-grades in year 8 tests - is that about right?
yeah

idkkdi

HSC
thanks thats helpful
they only tell you to not prepare for the test if they're scared of people doing well by preparing LOL.
academically about 2 years ahead is unnecessary. But tbh with all the test preparation and the natural intelligence of people who get scholarships, we're looking at people who could indeed be chucked in yr 8 and survive well.

idkkdi

HSC
thanks thats helpful
depends on what school we're talking about and what gender the kid is lol. a decently good approximation is the selective test.

females ----> seems to be easier to get scholarships to good schools
males ----> 245 range to be somewhat able to compete for the lower tier schools. High-ranked independent schools, we're looking at 260 range selective kids, especially when considering full scholarships, right @black.mamba @vernburn ??? Do note, it seems that private school scholarship tests favour those good at English, because the majority is good at maths, if I recall correctly.

----> but this was like 6 yrs ago, so I would suppose with population increase, we're looking at an additional increase in difficulty.

black.mamba

HSC
depends on what school we're talking about and what gender the kid is lol. a decently good approximation is the selective test.

females ----> seems to be easier to get scholarships to good schools
males ----> 245 range to be somewhat able to compete for the lower tier schools. High-ranked independent schools, we're looking at 260 range selective kids, especially when considering full scholarships, right @black.mamba @vernburn ??? Do note, it seems that private school scholarship tests favour those good at English, because the majority is good at maths, if I recall correctly.

----> but this was like 6 yrs ago, so I would suppose with population increase, we're looking at an additional increase in difficulty.
~260 for most grammar scholars, but im pretty sure some got in with 220-240

idkkdi

HSC
~260 for most grammar scholars, but im pretty sure some got in with 220-240
220-240 damn. must have popped off or had some insane extracurriculars for a primary school kid lol.

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
i just read somewhere that you would have to be in the top 5% intelligence wise to get a year 7 scholarship - does that sound right to you?
I would've thought it would be a more like top 0.5 to 1% ??

also, can anyone do this year 7 scholarship question - I'm really struggling and its disheartening - the first question halfway down the page which says "examine the series and choose the number"

that looks like a tough question which i doubt more than 5% of kids would be able to do

what do you reckon? I think probably less than 2% of kids would be able to get that question correct?

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
they only tell you to not prepare for the test if they're scared of people doing well by preparing LOL.
academically about 2 years ahead is unnecessary. But tbh with all the test preparation and the natural intelligence of people who get scholarships, we're looking at people who could indeed be chucked in yr 8 and survive well.
I bet you learned trig when people learnt their alphabets

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
ok i take it back i worked it out in the end - probably wouldn't have got it quickly enough in exam situation though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)