Is it possible to get an 85+ ATAR? (2 Viewers)

anonymousdrop

HSC
Hey guys so I failed my maths test HARD. I got a 6% and my cohort is very large. I did pretty good in my previous assignment last term. I got 96% and top ten of 220 students. Not gonna make excuses for my actions, I messed up BAD and am just not in a good mental state. Could I possibly still do well ? Like if I get good in my last two assignments, will it be enough?

quickoats

HSC
Hey guys so I failed my maths test HARD. I got a 6% and my cohort is very large. I did pretty good in my previous assignment last term. I got 96% and top ten of 220 students. Not gonna make excuses for my actions, I messed up BAD and am just not in a good mental state. Could I possibly still do well ? Like if I get good in my last two assignments, will it be enough?

Try your best :) No point giving up now because you think it won't be enough.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In addition to the above, Maths isn't everything. Your marks and ranks in your other subjects are all important and you should be focusing on all your subjects to ensure you will get good marks in all of your subjects. This will have a much more positive effect on your ATAR than Maths alone.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A

It's one test, no need to worry. Unfortunately yes your rank will be affected substantially due to this HOWEVER as you ranked well in the first task it shouldn't be affected too badly. Just move on, really all you can do at the moment and also to figure out a way to work around it. As one like myself who also isn't in a great mental state particularly in school, I can relate as for a lot of my subjects last term I also messed up quite badly and not really getting the support I needed at the time was quite frustrating. I'm looking forward to trials though as it's the one test which really separates everyone, so as long as you are quite successful on trials and even AT3's there shouldn't be a problem.

idkkdi

HSC
Remember if your HSC exam mark is disproportionately higher than your internal mark your internal mark will get scaled up. Also 1 internal exam doesn't entirely define your total internal mark. YES, you can absolutely still achieve an 85+ atar.
wtf, your internal mark never gets scaled up, it gets moderated, and that has basically nothing to do with your HSC exam mark (actually, two exceptions or more maybe. simplified as the statement internal rank = external rank, where it could possibly have everything to do with your hsc exam mark. or small cohort)
@Trebla

Last edited:

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
wtf, your internal mark never gets scaled up, it gets moderated, and that has basically nothing to do with your HSC exam mark (actually, two exceptions or more maybe. simplified as the statement internal rank = external rank, where it could possibly have everything to do with your hsc exam mark. or small cohort)
@Trebla
Yeah I'll refrain from making assumptions in future. I guess I was partially correct, though. Some (clearly an idiot) grad explained that to me before but was clearly misinformed too. I'll be sure to @ you to any atar etc related posts in future :)

idkkdi

HSC
Yeah I'll refrain from making assumptions in future. I guess I was partially correct, though. Some (clearly an idiot) grad explained that to me before but was clearly misinformed too. I'll be sure to @ you to any atar etc related posts in future :)
no @Trebla.

idkkdi

HSC
Yes it does. Your assessment mark gets changed depending on your hsc mark.
They do this to make it fair, as some teachers may mark or give harder assessments than others.
its change is based mostly on your cohorts marks and your placing within that cohort.

you yourself aren't really going to change the amount of moderation your internal mark gets with only your hsc exam mark in a cohort of 220 for maths iirc that OP refers to.

but ye, your assessment mark does get changed "moderated" according to your internal rank and the external exam marks of your cohort.

generally you won't be able to have much effect on the moderation on your internal mark unless you absolutely pop off and pull the bell curve upwards.

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
its change is based mostly on your cohorts marks and your placing within that cohort.

you yourself aren't really going to change the amount of moderation your internal mark gets with only your hsc exam mark in a cohort of 220 for maths iirc that OP refers to.

but ye, your assessment mark does get changed "moderated" according to your internal rank and the external exam marks of your cohort.

generally you won't be able to have much effect on the moderation on your internal mark unless you absolutely pop off and pull the bell curve upwards.
Oh dear... I pretty much said exactly this but in the simplistic form...

idkkdi

HSC
Oh dear... I pretty much said exactly this but in the simplistic form...
nah disproportionately higher isnt going to in most cases (in OP's case) enough to pull up the bell curve.

you need to first of all, be in a tiny cohort.

What you said by scaling (moderating) up was more so entire cohort performance in externals. Individual disproportionate performance isn't going to do much.

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
nah disproportionately higher isnt going to in most cases (in OP's case) enough to pull up the bell curve.

you need to first of all, be in a tiny cohort.

What you said by scaling (moderating) up was more so entire cohort performance in externals. Individual disproportionate performance isn't going to do much.
I left out a element that I was unaware of. But technically I was loosely correct. You've made it clearer. :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
sticking the middle finger at the ceo each time his face pops up
"Dear HSC community,

Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from my position as Chief Executive Officer of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).

You may believe my decision to be sudden, but I have, in fact, carefully considered my resignation for the past 2 months. Unfortunately, the pressure that has been put on me by the student community has become extremely overwhelming. I have become unable to sleep at night, as thoughts of how many of you stick your middle fingers at me every day have started to regularly haunt my mind (and dreams). Deep reflections have allowed me to see sense, to appreciate that it is only right for me to end what students perceive as hell and suffering, through terminating my engagement with NESA.

Yours sincerely,
David de Carvalho"

Ice-Cream-Man *wakes up*: "Wow what a good dream that was."

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
"Dear HSC community,

Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from my position as Chief Executive Officer of the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).

You may believe my decision to be sudden, but I have, in fact, carefully considered my resignation for the past 2 months. Unfortunately, the pressure that has been put on me by the student community has become extremely overwhelming. I have become unable to sleep at night, as thoughts of how many of you stick your middle fingers at me every day have started to regularly haunt my mind (and dreams). Deep reflections have allowed me to see sense, to appreciate that it is only right for me to end what students perceive as hell and suffering, through terminating my engagement with NESA.

Yours sincerely,
David de Carvalho"

That’s actually very structured, you really were thinking what I was thinking.

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
"Dear HSC community,

Yours sincerely,
David de Carvalho"

Concept: It should be made mandatory for the sitting CEO of NESA to partake in the HSC annually. That way, we can ensure no sadistic sentiment is being practiced and Mr. Perkins can rectify any crimes against humanity that may be actively perpetrated. Viola!

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Concept: It should be made mandatory for the sitting CEO of NESA to partake in the HSC annually. That way, we can ensure no sadistic sentiment is being practiced and Mr. Perkins can rectify any crimes against humanity that may be actively perpetrated. Wuala!
Spot on.

They should also be required to take extension subjects, that way they experience the luxurious nature of the HSC.

We also got ourselves a brilliant Mr Perkins? Voilà indeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)