Challenging word problems (equations) (1 Viewer)

kpad5991

HSC
c) A man is now 5 times as old as his son. In 8 years time, he will only be 3 times as old as his son. How old is the father now?

d) Dave is presently 20 years older than his daughter Alison. If Dave’s age 12 years from now is twice Alison’s age 12 years from now, find their present ages

e) I have some 20 cent coins and 5 cent coins in a box, totalling $2.55.. There are 6 more 5 cent coins than 20 cent coins. How many of each coin do I have?

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
a) When the digits of a two-digit number, neither digit zero, are reversed, the number formed is 36 less than the original number. The sum of the digits of the original number could be:

b) In triangle PQR, the length of each side is a whole number of centimetres. Also, PQ is 14 cm longer than PR, and QR is 30 cm longer than PR. Find the minimum possible perimeter of triangle PQR in centimetres.

c) A man is now 5 times as old as his son. In 8 years time, he will only be 3 times as old as his son. How old is the father now?

d) Dave is presently 20 years older than his daughter Alison. If Dave’s age 12 years from now is twice Alison’s age 12 years from now, find their present ages

e) I have some 20 cent coins and 5 cent coins in a box, totalling $2.55.. There are 6 more 5 cent coins than 20 cent coins. How many of each coin do I have?
Let the number be where X is the 10s digit and Y is the 1s digit. For example . We know that when the digits are reversed i.e. the number is 36 less than the original number. So:

note that . Now we can just start subbing some Y values in to get (X,Y) solutions:
Y=1 gives (5,1)
Y=2 gives (6,2)
Y=3 gives (7,3)
Y=4 gives (8,4)
Y=5 gives (9,5)

So all sums include:

b) and . Let: for simplicity. Then we get:
. Eliminating t gives: .Similar to a we want positive sols for y and x. Its pretty easy to see that the smallest positive sol is when hence and .This is true since x,y,t are all directly proportional so the smallest x value gives the smallest y and t values. So

someone else can do c,d,e.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)