• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i stuffed up my english exam (2 Viewers)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster:

so pretty much i used to be ranked excellently in a top 20 school and now i stuffed up.

to sum it up i had an anxiety attack and went into the exam with a blank mind. my essays were completed however not to the extent that i could have potentially. i could've aced the exams and i'm sure im going to get a horrid mark.

this was weighted at 35%. i still have 40% to go. do you think i can get up from this? i was aiming for ending up ranking top 3 or 1st for advanced but that isn't going to happen i guess.

i have an assignment for mod c and then trials - can i get back up?
40% is close to half, which still needs to be determined, so it’s not an insignifcant percentage.

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible, however we have to acknowledge that 60% has been completed, so achieving your goal will not be easy. But if you are able to ace the remaining 40%, you can definitely make a difference!

This seems more like a psychological issue than a performance/academic issue. You are obviously an academically capable person. However, stress and anxiety happen to be a bit of a problem. In addition to preparing well for your remaining assignment and trials, you should try to reduce your stress and anxiety levels, so that your performance isn’t affected.

Some ways to reduce anxiety include:
  • Getting some extra sleep.
  • Having an organised study method (including breaks, goals and subgoals).
  • Not thinking about an exam/assignment when you’re not supposed to (e.g. when not studying)
All the best with your remaining assessment and trials! If you believe in yourself, anything is possible! 😄

Leadmen4y

HSC
Jimmy summed it up pretty nicely, you can definitely still do well! However I think it depends a lot on your ATAR goal also.

Last edited:

Leadmen4y

HSC
Original Poster:

yep! i'm aiming mid 90's.
for advanced, being ranked 17th = a 92 eng adv hsc mark if that's a good indicator (this is according to my friend's rank and her estimate)
Considering you're in a top 20 school, your cohort is highly likely to bring your ATAR up in the HSC, ranking 17th is not bad at all too internally imo. but also keep in mind of your other 4 units too!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
People at my lower-ranked comprehensive school achieve a 99+ ATAR nearly every year. As Leadmen4y mentioned, your cohort is surely academically capable, meaning you are definitely able to get a mark in that range.

An HSC mark of 92 in English Advanced will definitely bring you closer to your desired ATAR goal! :D

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
People at my lower-ranked comprehensive school achieve a 99+ ATAR nearly every year. As Leadmen4y mentioned, your cohort is surely academically capable, meaning you are definitely able to get a mark in that range.

An HSC mark of 92 in English Advanced will definitely bring you closer to your desired ATAR goal! :D
It’s on the decline now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)