Hsc discussion (1 Viewer)

Diya Jain

HSC
Hi
I had a question regarding hsc- how does it work if you do 11 units as 10 of your best units are counted including English

and what is the difference between raw and hsc marks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing 11 units means you are most likely doing an Extension subject, which adds one unit. Your best 2 units of English always count towards your ATAR. When doing 11 units, if your final HSC mark in your Extension subject is high enough, it may allow one of your 2 unit subjects to count as only one unit, meaning it will have less of an effect on your ATAR. I'll give myself as an example because I did 11 units:
  • English Standard (2 units)
  • Mathematics (2 units)
  • Business Studies (2 units)
  • Information Processes and Technology (2 units)
  • French Continuers (2 units)
  • French Extension (1 unit)
All those subjects add up to 11 units. When I did my HSC, I did the worst in maths which is 2 units. What ended up happening is that French Extension counted and Mathematics counted as only 1 unit instead of 2, which I believe halves the effect maths has on my ATAR:
  • Mathematics (1 unit)
(Total of 10 units)

The difference between raw marks and HSC marks is that raw marks are the actual marks you get when the papers are first marked (without any scaling, alignment etc) and are marks that you have to pay to get access to. HSC marks are your final marks for your respective subjects after things like moderation and alignment etc are applied. HSC marks are the marks you receive after you complete your HSC.

I hope this helps! 😄

Diya Jain

HSC
Doing 11 units means you are most likely doing an Extension subject, which adds one unit. Your best 2 units of English always count towards your ATAR. When doing 11 units, if your final HSC mark in your Extension subject is high enough, it may allow one of your 2 unit subjects to count as only one unit, meaning it will have less of an effect on your ATAR. I'll give myself as an example because I did 11 units:
  • Mathematics (2 units)
All those subjects add up to 11 units. When I did my HSC, I did the worst in maths which is 2 units. What ended up happening is that French Extension counted and Mathematics counted as only 1 unit instead of 2, which I believe halves the effect maths has on my ATAR:
  • Mathematics (1 unit)
(Total of 10 units)

The difference between raw marks and HSC marks is that raw marks are the actual marks you get when the papers are first marked (without any scaling, alignment etc) and are marks that you have to pay to get access to. HSC marks are your final marks for your respective subjects after things like moderation and alignment etc are applied. HSC marks are the marks you receive after you complete your HSC.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks so much :D

Diya Jain

HSC
Also is internal ranking important in year 12 ?
like my school is ranked 97 at the moment
So what ranks should I be aiming for ?

the subjects I’m planing to do are
Business studies
Economics
Drama
Advanced English
3 u maths

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
like my school is ranked 80
So what ranks should you be aiming for ?
Internal ranking in year 12 is important, and it is more important than your school rank.

I believe your own aim in terms of internal ranks depends on your ATAR aim. If you're aiming for a pretty high ATAR, then you should focus your efforts on ranking as high as possible to maximise your chances of getting your desired ATAR.

Hiheyhello

HSC

Business studies
Economics
Drama
Advanced English
3 u maths
drama and eco are the best

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

Business studies
Economics
Drama
Advanced English
3 u maths
Just noticed your edit. I think Economics and Mathematics Extension will be your most challenging subjects, so you should make sure you allocate enough time towards those subjects.

The rest doesn't seem as difficult, but you should also ensure you regularly study and are up to date with content, so you can perform well and rank high.

In terms of specific internal ranks, you should be aiming to rank as high as possible (e.g. top 10/5/3) to maximise your chances of getting your desired ATAR. This is based on the assumption that you're aiming for at least a 90+ ATAR.

Diya Jain

HSC
Just noticed your edit. I think Economics and Mathematics Extension will be your most challenging subjects, so you should make sure you allocate enough time towards those subjects.

The rest doesn't seem as difficult, but you should also ensure you regularly study and are up to date with content, so you can perform well and rank high.

In terms of specific internal ranks, you should be aiming to rank as high as possible (e.g. top 10/5/3) to maximise your chances of getting your desired ATAR. This is based on the assumption that you're aiming for at least a 90+ ATAR.
Thanks youuu

Diya Jain

HSC

Thanksss also what’s the difference between internal and school ranks. ?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks youuu
Thanksss also what’s the difference between internal and school ranks. ?
No worries, the difference is that internal ranks are your own ranks compared to the rest of the students at your school. E.g. 15/100. This means that your rank is 15/100 (basically you came 15th in your cohort for a particular subject).

School ranks are the overall ranks of schools, which I believe is measured by the success rate, i.e. the percentage of students who achieve band 6/E4's relative to the number of students in the school's cohort).

Diya Jain

HSC
No worries, the difference is that internal ranks are your own ranks compared to the rest of the students at your school. E.g. 15/100. This means that your rank is 15/100 (basically you came 15th in your cohort for a particular subject).

School ranks are the overall ranks of schools, which I believe is measured by the success rate, i.e. the percentage of students who achieve band 6/E4's relative to the number of students in the school's cohort).
Thanks so much for the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)