How the hell do I prepare for module C (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi guys,
I have no idea how to even prepare for mod c as I just struggle when I try and attempt a practise question. How is everyone esle preparing?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Effectively preparing for Module C generally requires a few important things.

First, you should familiarise yourself with the rubric (if you haven’t already). Doing so involves highlighting and making notes of key terms as well as any aspects you don’t understand. While the rubric isn’t really as important for Module C as it is for the Common Module, having a thorough knowledge of the rubric is helpful as it will allow you to deconstruct exam questions more effectively.

The next step is to know your techniques and this is very important as techniques constitute a key element of your responses depending on the type of response you will need to write for the Module C question. It’s not only important to know how to use them (allowing you to write high quality responses) but to also identify and analyse them, particularly in the event where you are asked to provide a response beyond what you’d normally expect, such as the 2019 English Standard paper, where we were asked:

Explain how your study of the craft of writing has enabled you to create an engaging piece of writing. In your response, make detailed reference to your use of language in part (a).

Another important thing to remember when using techniques is to use them in a way that is genuine and natural within your writing. Using techniques only for the sake of using them will make your writing look forced and inauthentic, which is something markers can notice/determine. To determine whether or not a particular technique should be included in your response, you should consider the technique itself, how you will use it in your response (a particular example) as well as the effect that it will have on your response. If you find that using this technique will add further depth, complexity, meaning to your writing and/or if it will assist in establishing a better link between your ideas and your prescribed texts, then you should probably use it.

Once you have complemented your knowledge of the rubric and relevant techniques, you should attempt multiple Module C questions and try to apply your knowledge. If possible, you should also seek feedback from your teacher as they can provide guidance in terms of your writing, allowing you to effectively progress and improve the quality of your responses. Even if it is not specifically related to Module C, a habit of daily writing can not only improve your writing speed and writing quality, but it can also help to boost your confidence in developing sophisticated ideas and using sophisticated techniques.

Lastly, you should try reading texts beyond those prescribed (books, stories, novels etc). Doing a bit of extra reading on a daily basis can be quite beneficial as it gives you exposure to several perspectives, allowing you to obtain a wider range of ideas, which will definitely be beneficial when you’re attempting the Module C section in your exam as you will be able to not only think of sophisticated and relevant ideas, but you will also be able to do so faster.

I hope this helps! :D

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Hey
Effectively preparing for Module C generally requires a few important things.

First, you should familiarise yourself with the rubric (if you haven’t already). Doing so involves highlighting and making notes of key terms as well as any aspects you don’t understand. While the rubric isn’t really as important for Module C as it is for the Common Module, having a thorough knowledge of the rubric is helpful as it will allow you to deconstruct exam questions more effectively.

The next step is to know your techniques and this is very important as techniques constitute a key element of your responses depending on the type of response you will need to write for the Module C question. It’s not only important to know how to use them (allowing you to write high quality responses) but to also identify and analyse them, particularly in the event where you are asked to provide a response beyond what you’d normally expect, such as the 2019 English Standard paper, where we were asked:

Explain how your study of the craft of writing has enabled you to create an engaging piece of writing. In your response, make detailed reference to your use of language in part (a).

Another important thing to remember when using techniques is to use them in a way that is genuine and natural within your writing. Using techniques only for the sake of using them will make your writing look forced and inauthentic, which is something marks can notice/determine. To determine whether or not a particular technique should be included in your response, you should consider the technique itself, how you will use it in your response (a particular example) as well as the effect that it will have on your response. If you find that using this technique will add further depth, complexity, meaning to your writing and/or if it will assist in establishing a better link between your ideas and your prescribed texts, then you should probably use it.

Once you have complemented your knowledge of the rubric and relevant techniques, you should attempt multiple Module C questions and try to apply your knowledge. If possible, you should also seek feedback from your teacher as they can provide guidance in terms of your writing, allowing you to effectively progress and improve the quality of your responses. Even if it is not specifically related to Module C, a habit of daily writing can not only improve your writing speed and writing quality, but it can also help to boost your confidence in developing sophisticated ideas and using sophisticated techniques.

Lastly, you should try reading texts beyond those prescribed (books, stories, novels etc). Doing a bit of extra reading on a daily basis can be quite beneficial as it gives you exposure to several perspectives, allowing you to obtain a wider range of ideas, which will definitely be beneficial when you’re attempting the Module C section in your exam as you will be able to not only think of sophisticated and relevant ideas, but you will also be able to do so faster.

Hey jimmysmith560,
Just a quick question but do you think buying English textbooks like 'Excel Year 12 English Advanced' will be helpful if I don't do English tutoring, and my English teacher doesn't really teach? As in, she gives us a lot of resources but never actually goes through concepts on how to write discursive pieces, paragraphs, etc.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey

Hey jimmysmith560,
Just a quick question but do you think buying English textbooks like 'Excel Year 12 English Advanced' will be helpful if I don't do English tutoring, and my English teacher doesn't really teach? As in, she gives us a lot of resources but never actually goes through concepts on how to write discursive pieces, paragraphs, etc.
Hello! In principle, the more resources you have, the more things you can possibly learn, the better your analytical skills may become, and the better the quality of your responses. I haven't personally owned/used a textbook such as the one you mentioned, but as far as I know, they contain examples of band 6 responses that you can benefit from to improve your own writing.

I think a good way of mitigating the effect that a teacher who doesn't really teach has on your learning (provided you aren't doing English tutoring) is to actually ask her for feedback on your written pieces (discursive, essay etc). I'm sure this is something that your teacher will be happy to do, and you should consider and implement any suggestions your teacher gives you in order to improve the quality of your responses.

While you may have not gone through concepts on how to write those types of responses in class, having access to resources, as well as examples of band 6 responses will definitely give you an idea of what to include in your written pieces in terms of content and analysis, as well as what kind of structure you should adopt.

Leadmen4y

HSC
I think a good way of mitigating the effect that a teacher who doesn't really teach has on your learning (provided you aren't doing English tutoring) is to actually ask her for feedback on your written pieces (discursive, essay etc). I'm sure this is something that your teacher will be happy to do, and you should consider and implement any suggestions your teacher gives you in order to improve the quality of your responses.
100 percent agree with this, if ur bothered to nag ur teachers they usually do get back to you, especially before assessment tasks like trials. my teacher is about the same, with the posting bunch of resources without really going through them but I just email her directly about questions and stuff.

also, it'd REALLY help if you get a tutor on a subject ur uncertain about, my has helped heaps. resources don't get u far if u don't know where to begin, teachers are there for a reason as it's definitely challenging to learn without one especially for difficult subjects like English (for me personally at least).

Leadmen4y

HSC
Hi guys,
I have no idea how to even prepare for mod c as I just struggle when I try and attempt a practise question. How is everyone esle preparing?
my mod c is force discursive and reflection so I just jot down 2-3 ideas in no more than 5 minutes and write as much as I could about whatever the stimulus is asking for, I'm a relatively fast typer so I usually write 600-800 words fairly comfortably under 35-40 minutes, which gives me time to edit and perhaps add in some techniques that match with my text (so i can talk about them in my reflection).

idk what text type ur doing but its usually a two part question with some sort of reflection for part 2, so its good to know the techniques used to ur prescribed texts ig and implement them in part a). else u don't have anything to talk about in ur reflection, i actually got away with some fairly basic techniques for the mod c part of my exam with evaluative language, high modality and inclusive language and somehow got me a 9/10 so its probably not about how fancy ur techniques are but how u analyse them.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Hello! In principle, the more resources you have, the more things you can possibly learn, the better your analytical skills may become, and the better the quality of your responses. I haven't personally owned/used a textbook such as the one you mentioned, but as far as I know, they contain examples of band 6 responses that you can benefit from to improve your own writing.

While you may have not gone through concepts on how to write those types of responses in class, having access to resources, as well as examples of band 6 responses will definitely give you an idea of what to include in your written pieces in terms of content and analysis, as well as what kind of structure you should adopt.

AYEEE, ty ty.
Alright, I'm going to get into the 'nitty gritty' about my English circumstances... Forgive me lol but...
My English teacher is possibly one of the worst teachers you could have, no exaggeration. I had to write 3 different emails/paragraphs for her to mark my work, declined... and on the third one, she hasn't even responded/ignored me when she said she was going to. When we submit our in-class paragraphs she makes due for us, she rewrites it by copying and pasting work, from online resources, removes 70% of our response and does not provide any personal feedback on what we did, only what she did lol.

So now, what would you do if you were in my circumstances?
Kind Regards :)
(P.S. I'm planning on arguing to the Head Teacher if she still doesn't mark my work with proper feedback, when I'm in year 12).

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
100 percent agree with this, if ur bothered to nag ur teachers they usually do get back to you, especially before assessment tasks like trials. my teacher is about the same, with the posting bunch of resources without really going through them but I just email her directly about questions and stuff.

also, it'd REALLY help if you get a tutor on a subject ur uncertain about, my has helped heaps. resources don't get u far if u don't know where to begin, teachers are there for a reason as it's definitely challenging to learn without one especially for difficult subjects like English (for me personally at least).
I did do English tutoring for a LONG, long time. Unless it's private, there isn't really a point tbh, and it costs double from public for my expectations :D
I already do 3U math and physics tutoring so that's also why. If you didn't have a tutor and your teacher didn't really mark your work properly/fully, what would be the main ways of improving yourself for this subject? Also, what were the "questions and and stuff" you were explicitly asking? (If you don't mind...)

Anyways, thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
AYEEE, ty ty.
Alright, I'm going to get into the 'nitty gritty' about my English circumstances... Forgive me lol but...
My English teacher is possibly one of the worst teachers you could have, no exaggeration. I had to write 3 different emails/paragraphs for her to mark my work, declined... and on the third one, she hasn't even responded/ignored me when she said she was going to. When we submit our in-class paragraphs she makes due for us, she rewrites it by copying and pasting work, from online resources, removes 70% of our response and does not provide any personal feedback on what we did, only what she did lol.

So now, what would you do if you were in my circumstances?
Kind Regards :)
(P.S. I'm planning on arguing to the Head Teacher if she still doesn't mark my work with proper feedback, when I'm in year 12).
The situation seems a bit complicated, more than it should be. There is definitely a problem with what your teacher's doing and as you mentioned, it is a good idea to inform the head teacher of what has been going on as this is extremely important, i.e. you don't want your own teacher to become an obstacle and hinder your performance in English Advanced. As per your above reply, if you can't currently get a tutor for English due to cost reasons, then I would suggest maximising the use of the resources you currently have (as well as any resources you are planning to purchase) to build your analyses and essays and then seek feedback from people on here as there are people who are very good at English and can definitely provide advice regarding your writing. You can do so until your head teacher takes action, which will hopefully bring everything back to normal. :)

Leadmen4y

HSC
I did do English tutoring for a LONG, long time. Unless it's private, there isn't really a point tbh, and it costs double from public for my expectations :
Yeah I have a private tutor myself, for English I think you really need either a private tutor or a really dedicated teacher because it really has to tailor your needs like your weaknesses and understanding of your texts.
If you didn't have a tutor and your teacher didn't really mark your work properly/fully, what would be the main ways of improving yourself for this subject?
I feel like if you're struggling, you should seriously consider getting a private tutor for English, it always counts towards your ATAR and is the single most important subject, don't let it bottleneck your ATAR you know.

But anyways, when I didn't have a tutor I would nag my teacher but she wasn't the most responsive and was pretty "busy" most of the times so I had really go out my way like at recess and lunch just to ask her questions which was really a pain. I think the most important thing to improve is spending more time, read your texts early, analyse them YOURSELF and write a lot. But regardless the best I could do on my own was 16s and 17s if I'm lucky lmao

Also, what were the "questions and and stuff" you were explicitly asking? (If you don't mind...)
This will vary between people, I was struggling with paper 1 and essays (so basically everything LMAO) so that's what I asked about. My tutor was able to provide me with the exact steps I should follow like how to identify techniques, how to link t to the question, word choices, essay structure, what to include in your responses. It's all pretty basic but I had very weak fundamentals as I didn't care much in year 11.

And specifically for the modules, I would ask my tutor how do I cover every bits of the rubric and he would provide me with themes, quotes and how to analyse them, linking it back to context, it's all pretty straightforward. So basically he would guide me on what to do and I can effectively use my time rather than fumbling with a bunch of resources not knowing what to do, and of course marking my notes, essays, paper 1 responses which is probably just as if not more important than guiding your studies.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Yeah I have a private tutor myself, for English I think you really need either a private tutor or a really dedicated teacher because it really has to tailor your needs like your weaknesses and understanding of your texts.

I feel like if you're struggling, you should seriously consider getting a private tutor for English, it always counts towards your ATAR and is the single most important subject, don't let it bottleneck your ATAR you know.

But anyways, when I didn't have a tutor I would nag my teacher but she wasn't the most responsive and was pretty "busy" most of the times so I had really go out my way like at recess and lunch just to ask her questions which was really a pain. I think the most important thing to improve is spending more time, read your texts early, analyse them YOURSELF and write a lot. But regardless the best I could do on my own was 16s and 17s if I'm lucky lmao

This will vary between people, I was struggling with paper 1 and essays (so basically everything LMAO) so that's what I asked about. My tutor was able to provide me with the exact steps I should follow like how to identify techniques, how to link t to the question, word choices, essay structure, what to include in your responses. It's all pretty basic but I had very weak fundamentals as I didn't care much in year 11.

And specifically for the modules, I would ask my tutor how do I cover every bits of the rubric and he would provide me with themes, quotes and how to analyse them, linking it back to context, it's all pretty straightforward. So basically he would guide me on what to do and I can effectively use my time rather than fumbling with a bunch of resources not knowing what to do, and of course marking my notes, essays, paper 1 responses which is probably just as if not more important than guiding your studies.
Trueeee, thank you very much, this is actually quite relatable to what I was thinking. Tbh, I'll try and nag her more and if Plan A is unsuccessful, well... you know... :D

Anyways, appreciate you providing your advice and GOOD of the LUCK for HSC and trials.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
The situation seems a bit complicated, more than it should be. There is definitely a problem with what your teacher's doing and as you mentioned, it is a good idea to inform the head teacher of what has been going on as this is extremely important, i.e. you don't want your own teacher to become an obstacle and hinder your performance in English Advanced. As per your above reply, if you can't currently get a tutor for English due to cost reasons, then I would suggest maximising the use of the resources you currently have (as well as any resources you are planning to purchase) to build your analyses and essays and then seek feedback from people on here as there are people who are very good at English and can definitely provide advice regarding your writing. You can do so until your head teacher takes action, which will hopefully bring everything back to normal. :)
APPRECIATE YOUUUU my guy! Always ready to relate to any circumstances and provide your insight into every forum question. Have a great day jimmysmith560 :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)