Modern History or Extension Maths (1 Viewer)

Hahahah...ha

HSC
Hello,

I'm currently doing 12 units:

English Advanced
Mathematics Advanced
Mathematics Extension 1 (rank 8/17)
Japanese Continuers
Japanese Extension
Modern History (rank 1/10)
Korean Beginners

I really want to drop either Mathematics Extension 1 or Modern History. I like both subjects, however, am kind of scared to do Modern because it's essay based and I don't know if I can meet its requirements correctly. Also my rank may be first but my cohort is just bad so I do well. For Mathematics Extension 1, everyone is very smart and its likely at least half of them will get E4.

What should I do?? I'm so scared to make the wrong choice...

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It's good that you have an interest in both subjects as this suggests that your choice of dropping either subject will be made based on your potential in terms of performance in each subject. Based on this, it seems like you would be able to perform at a higher standard in Mathematics Extension 1 than you would in Modern History going forward. Also, the fact that your Mathematics Extension 1 cohort is academically capable may be beneficial in terms of your Assessment Mark, particularly if you are able to obtain a good rank relative to your cohort. This of course means that you must do your utmost in order to perform well in Mathematics Extension 1, which implies being determined and willing to put in the effort throughout year 12, regularly studying and staying up to date with content, allowing you to perform well in your school-based assessment tasks/exams. This will in turn allow you to obtain a favourable rank, putting you in a good position as you approach your HSC exam for this subject.

You will find that you will be subsequently completing several past exam papers (including trial and HSC papers). Doing so will allow you to apply your knowledge to exam questions and (in the case of the HSC past papers) will further familiarise you with the way the HSC exam is designed for Mathematics Advanced. It is important that, while you are completing papers, you are able to identify any weaknesses and address those as you go. Effectively doing so, while completing as many past exam papers as possible, constitutes a significant boost to your preparations, allowing you to become more confident and comfortable with manipulating the content, the closer you get to your HSC exam for this subject.

It seems like Mathematics Extension 1 has a more linear exam preparation process, as opposed to Modern History, which is an element you may likely be able to capitalise on (i.e. use to your advantage) to enhance your performance, meaning that avoiding the apparent ambiguity associated with keeping Modern History will likely be beneficial. Based on this, you should probably drop Modern History and keep Mathematics Extension 1.

I hope this helps! 😄

Hahahah...ha

HSC
It's good that you have an interest in both subjects as this suggests that your choice of dropping either subject will be made based on your potential in terms of performance in each subject. Based on this, it seems like you would be able to perform at a higher standard in Mathematics Extension 1 than you would in Modern History going forward. Also, the fact that your Mathematics Extension 1 cohort is academically capable may be beneficial in terms of your Assessment Mark, particularly if you are able to obtain a good rank relative to your cohort. This of course means that you must do your utmost in order to perform well in Mathematics Extension 1, which implies being determined and willing to put in the effort throughout year 12, regularly studying and staying up to date with content, allowing you to perform well in your school-based assessment tasks/exams. This will in turn allow you to obtain a favourable rank, putting you in a good position as you approach your HSC exam for this subject.

You will find that you will be subsequently completing several past exam papers (including trial and HSC papers). Doing so will allow you to apply your knowledge to exam questions and (in the case of the HSC past papers) will further familiarise you with the way the HSC exam is designed for Mathematics Advanced. It is important that, while you are completing papers, you are able to identify any weaknesses and address those as you go. Effectively doing so, while completing as many past exam papers as possible, constitutes a significant boost to your preparations, allowing you to become more confident and comfortable with manipulating the content, the closer you get to your HSC exam for this subject.

It seems like Mathematics Extension 1 has a more linear exam preparation process, as opposed to Modern History, which is an element you may likely be able to capitalise on (i.e. use to your advantage) to enhance your performance, meaning that avoiding the apparent ambiguity associated with keeping Modern History will likely be beneficial. Based on this, you should probably drop Modern History and keep Mathematics Extension 1.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you for answering my question! Certainly it does look like keeping Extension Maths would be the best approach forward and although I do like Modern History I just can't trust it to result in a good band. Thank you so much, I've honestly been thinking about this since 5 months ago and I couldn't really ask for my parent's input because they don't know much about the system. Thank you!😁😁😁

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for answering my question! Certainly it does look like keeping Extension Maths would be the best approach forward and although I do like Modern History I just can't trust it to result in a good band. Thank you so much, I've honestly been thinking about this since 5 months ago and I couldn't really ask for my parent's input because they don't know much about the system. Thank you!😁😁😁
No worries! Glad to know this was helpful! It definitely isn’t easy having to make decisions on your own and I can definitely relate to that. All the best! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)