UQ medicine (graduate) (1 Viewer)

seldom_seen

HSC
N/A
Dear forum members,

If there's a similar thread out there, then I apologise.

Apparently I might have to do another degree (or as per UQ a graduate diploma) to meet the UQ GPA threshold of 5/7. My original undergraduate degree is foreign and despite the grading scale I presented to the university, the conversion didn't translate as well as I thought it would. I guess UQ doesn't really follow the scales that you provide but has its own way of doing things, and they have every right to. I was wondering whether there's anyone here in the same boat, that's also considering doing a postgraduate degree or diploma (or has already done so successfully). If so, which programs do you recommend, seen as getting anything below a 6.5 isn't an option? Which programs would you stay away from? I already did my GAMSAT exam and luckily got a good score.

The reason I'm asking which programs you guys recommend is because I've never studied a course at an Australian institution before, seen as my family and I were abroad for most of my life. Now I'm back home and don't really know much about how difficult it is to obtain these marks and whether there is a huge difference between universities and courses. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Seldom

icycledough

HSC
Dear forum members,

If there's a similar thread out there, then I apologise.

Apparently I might have to do another degree (or as per UQ a graduate diploma) to meet the UQ GPA threshold of 5/7. My original undergraduate degree is foreign and despite the grading scale I presented to the university, the conversion didn't translate as well as I thought it would. I guess UQ doesn't really follow the scales that you provide but has its own way of doing things, and they have every right to. I was wondering whether there's anyone here in the same boat, that's also considering doing a postgraduate degree or diploma (or has already done so successfully). If so, which programs do you recommend, seen as getting anything below a 6.5 isn't an option? Which programs would you stay away from? I already did my GAMSAT exam and luckily got a good score.

The reason I'm asking which programs you guys recommend is because I've never studied a course at an Australian institution before, seen as my family and I were abroad for most of my life. Now I'm back home and don't really know much about how difficult it is to obtain these marks and whether there is a huge difference between universities and courses. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Seldom
Definitely best to ask this question on the MSO (Medical Students Online) forum, as that forum is literally created for concerns like yours mentioned above. Is UQ the only university you're considering to get into graduate medicine? If not, there are a handful of other universities (JMP, JPM, UNSW, JCU, Bond), which allow students who have started university to apply through the non-standard entry pathway.

Jojofelyx

HSC
Definitely best to ask this question on the MSO (Medical Students Online) forum, as that forum is literally created for concerns like yours mentioned above. Is UQ the only university you're considering to get into graduate medicine? If not, there are a handful of other universities (JMP, JPM, UNSW, JCU, Bond), which allow students who have started university to apply through the non-standard entry pathway.
I'd echo this message, MSO is the place to go for this.

seldom_seen

HSC
N/A
Hey! Thanks so much for your reply!

Well, seen as UQ is the only one I've found that would take a new postgraduate degree into account, it is the only way to do it without having to do another bachelor's degree. That's all.

Edit: I believe JMP also looks at your most recent degree, which may be a postgraduate coursework degree. So that one could be a contender.

seldom_seen

HSC
N/A
I'd echo this message, MSO is the place to go for this.
Thanks for your reply. I'll check that forum out as well! :)

Besides that, do you guys know whether it's doable to get mainly D's and HD's in a program like Public Health or another closely related postgraduate course? I assume it would be a lot harder to achieve in a field like IT...

icycledough

HSC
Thanks for your reply. I'll check that forum out as well! :)

Besides that, do you guys know whether it's doable to get mainly D's and HD's in a program like Public Health or another closely related postgraduate course? I assume it would be a lot harder to achieve in a field like IT...
Honestly depends on the person themselves and their work ethic throughout the entire year. It's hard to compare 2 degrees which are so different (like Public Health and something like IT), just because both can be difficult in their own respective merits.

seldom_seen

HSC
N/A
If you got a good GAMSAT score, then why don't you apply to USYD? They don't use GPA the same way other GEMSAS unis do
Hey! Thank you for the input mate. USyd does look at your undergraduate GPA, but they only use it as a hurdle requirement. Unfortunately mine did not meet the threshold when it was converted. Which is a shame. I would have loved to have been able to apply.

GrilledCheese

HSC
The pagingdr forum would be the other go to resource, it is more geared towards post grad Med compared to MSO.

GrilledCheese

HSC
Oh yes, MSO definately still had good info but I found pagingdr is more heavily focused on post grad. I found it a more comprehensive resource when I was applying for post grad Med.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)