Maths Ext 2 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Siwel

HSC
watch us all stress for no reason and it ends up getting relegated to q10 of the mc and a simple q11 or 12 combination q.
my trials perms and combs was q11a) literally 3 marks and it was like 1 person already chosen how can the rest be chosen if there was 10 and you want like 4 more

notme123

HSC
bro i saw it and instantly though, triangle inequality in 3d really? never seen that before maybe i just got really unlucky not every seeing it
i never think of the triangle inequality as a geometic result or something complex, i imagine it as |a| + |b| >= |a+b| because its way easier

Siwel

HSC
i never think of the triangle inequality as a geometic result or something complex, i imagine it as |a| + |b| >= |a+b| because its way easier
yeah thats what ive seen it as, just when they made it into 3d i just forgot everything about it lol

Siwel

HSC
even the atar notes guy said it was weird and didnt know where they pulled it from. tbf its in the complex number section
yeah but i feel as if its something maybe was more used in the old syllabus, cause ive rarely seen questions on the triangle inequality (100% could be wrong though)

ohnose

HSC
my estimate is 75 for e4. rui from atar notes said "This, however, has got to be the most draining MX2 paper I've done in a very long time. The only other time I recall of feeling so defeated was in 2018 or something where the chaotic Euclidean geometry question showed up" according to the raw marks database, in 2018, an e4 cutoff was exactly 72 raw but tbh i think more people did better in this exam than i originally thought so e4 might be higher like 75-77, possibly 80. a raw of 90 might then scale to a 95. would be amazing if it was closer to 2014 scaling, raw 90 scaled to a juicy 97.
Wasn't last year's cutoff like 78 raw though for a 90 (even though the exam was quite easy)? Unless I'm wrong and heard some wrong info through the grapevine:oops:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
about q13b) the integral one, if you did a trig sub and left limits in arccos(root whatever) and it came out as the right number i believe 136/5, do you reckon its still a viable full mark or was the other sub needed?
I used the wolframalpha ipad app "show steps" feature to make this:

1.png
2.png
3.png

The ipad wolframalpha app is better than the website for this feature - no need to pay (website makes you pay - forget it ! )

Siwel

HSC
I used the wolframalpha ipad app "show steps" feature to make this:

View attachment 33822
View attachment 33823
View attachment 33824

The ipad wolframalpha app is better than the website for this feature - no need to pay (website makes you pay - forget it ! )
yeah i can see how wolfram and others did it with that specific substitution (probably easier then how i did it) but was wondering if using a trig substitution that of 3sectheta and still getting 136/5 is still considered full marks given the weird limits of root 13 and 10

ohnose

HSC
yeah i can see how wolfram and others did it with that specific substitution (probably easier then how i did it) but was wondering if using a trig substitution that of 3sectheta and still getting 136/5 is still considered full marks given the weird limits of root 13 and 10
It's definitely a harder substitution to use but I mean if you managed to get it to work with no mistakes in your working, I can't see why they wouldn't give you the full marks (provided you did get the same answer).

There's always multiple ways to solve a problem my friend <3

Siwel

HSC
It's definitely a harder substitution to use but I mean if you managed to get it to work with no mistakes in your working, I can't see why they wouldn't give you the full marks (provided you did get the same answer).

There's always multiple ways to solve a problem my friend <3
yeah the limits were a pain but leaving them in arccos and then evaluating in the end it worked out to be a bunch of fractions and then 136/5

ohnose

HSC
Quick question regarding marking but say for example you attempted a lot of the harder questions and had done some working relevant to the question, will HSC markers give out single marks for that?

I know usually there is specific criteria (and usually one mark that says "or equivalent merit") but I was thinking it could be quite beneficial to many students if they at least managed to show some understanding of a problem by having an approach even if its incomplete or needs work.

For example, Question 16a from memory required the use of triangle inequality I think or something? If we tried to use it, wrote it out and made some comment about mod x y z, would we still get like a single mark or are they looking for something very specific

Any thoughts on this much appreciated :)

ohnose

HSC
yeah the limits were a pain but leaving them in arccos and then evaluating in the end it worked out to be a bunch of fractions and then 136/5
Haha that's sick! Kudos for maintaining focus I can imagine that it would've felt quite scary cause no one wants to make silly mistakes:oops:

Siwel

HSC
Quick question regarding marking but say for example you attempted a lot of the harder questions and had done some working relevant to the question, will HSC markers give out single marks for that?

I know usually there is specific criteria (and usually one mark that says "or equivalent merit") but I was thinking it could be quite beneficial to many students if they at least managed to show some understanding of a problem by having an approach even if its incomplete or needs work.

For example, Question 16a from memory required the use of triangle inequality I think or something? If we tried to use it, wrote it out and made some comment about mod x y z, would we still get like a single mark or are they looking for something very specific

Any thoughts on this much appreciated :)
i think it depends on what the state does (this could be completely wrong) but i remember hearing that if questions are answered less then expected by the examiners they change up what they thought was the marking criteria

notme123

HSC
do you think i would still get marks doing the same method but having a carried error for that integral, or would markers disregard it?

Chungus

HSC
my estimate is 75 for e4. rui from atar notes said "This, however, has got to be the most draining MX2 paper I've done in a very long time. The only other time I recall of feeling so defeated was in 2018 or something where the chaotic Euclidean geometry question showed up" according to the raw marks database, in 2018, an e4 cutoff was exactly 72 raw but tbh i think more people did better in this exam than i originally thought so e4 might be higher like 75-77, possibly 80. a raw of 90 might then scale to a 95. would be amazing if it was closer to 2014 scaling, raw 90 scaled to a juicy 97.
What about e3

Luke322

HSC
4u scales a bit worse than it used to with the new syllabus and all being easier though yeah an 80 raw for an e4 sounds pretty good.

notme123

HSC
So you think 75 will go to 90 but 60 will only go up by 10
is e3 70???? well then maybe 56 will be the e3 cutoff but even so the scaling diminishes significantly at the extremes

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Matrix solutions: https://www.matrix.edu.au/2021-hsc-maths-ext-2-exam-paper-solutions/

Other sites to keep an eye on are

https://www.itute.com/download-free-vce-maths-resources/free-maths-exams/

and

http://advancedmathematics.com.au (Terry Lee)

Historically Terry Lee used to be the first with solutions up.

Recently he has been beaten by a few others.

Itute are very slow to put them up - maybe a month or so - some say they take a wiser approach than rushing to be the first.

Itute also seem to be consistently the most complete too - even putting them up for Standard 1 - which is very rare.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)