Maths Ext 2 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

icycledough

HSC
i think it depends on what the state does (this could be completely wrong) but i remember hearing that if questions are answered less then expected by the examiners they change up what they thought was the marking criteria
If that were the case, markers may just make the marking criteria a lot more lenient for the very difficult questions. I think that's they encourage to show some attempt or working out rather than leave it blank. Markers want to give you marks rather than take them away, so give them an opportunity to do so in the first place.

Siwel

HSC
If that were the case, markers may just make the marking criteria a lot more lenient for the very difficult questions. I think that's they encourage to show some attempt or working out rather than leave it blank. Markers want to give you marks rather than take them away, so give them an opportunity to do so in the first place.
yeah when i meant less then expected was meant to say like answered differently/incorrect compared to what the examiners had thought in the first place, not left blank

JesusChriiii

HSC
Considering the e4 cutoff last year was 78, and this year's paper although was harder for sure, but more people became more familiar with the format of the questions and got more resources to practice, rather than people from last year who barely had any resources, i guess the cutoff will be lower but not significantly lower, so anywhere between 73-76 is possible. don't quote me tho just my guessing

notme123

HSC
Considering the e4 cutoff last year was 78, and this year's paper although was harder for sure, but more people became more familiar with the format of the questions and got more resources to practice, rather than people from last year who barely had any resources, i guess the cutoff will be lower but not significantly lower, so anywhere between 73-76 is possible. don't quote me tho just my guessing
ye but most of the resources did not match with that of this years hsc. i think the hsc exams are moving towards less just doing past papers to do good and more towards understanding intricacies in the content, which this years hsc definitely tired to provoke, 16c being the best example.

vishnay

God
HSC
i need the source for 78 raw 2020 = e4

i've heard it a million times but never seen it

jasonliii

HSC
N/A
tbh i think it wouldve been higher than a 78. In 2017, 77 was the cutoff, and im sure that paper was much harder than the 2020 one. rawmarks.info/mathematics/mathematics-extension-2

JesusChriiii

HSC

think someone in this thread asked people who bought their papers last year and concluded that.
I reckon its pretty precise tho, i only talked to one person who did ext.2 last year and bought the paper, she told me she got 70 raw and got 87 after alignment

triviajeon

HSC
think someone in this thread asked people who bought their papers last year and concluded that.
I reckon its pretty precise tho, i only talked to one person who did ext.2 last year and bought the paper, she told me she got 70 raw and got 87 after alignment
If you buy the paper, are you given a marked version of it or just your original answers? Since I know they scan it etc.

notme123

HSC
If you buy the paper, are you given a marked version of it or just your original answers? Since I know they scan it etc.
my friend bought back english and they got marks for their answers. but idk if its different w maths, you might be given just a mark for the overall q

icycledough

HSC

I think the issue is that you can't accurately just use last year's cutoff as a benchmark or threshold for this year's E4 benchmark. Some students may have perceived this year's exam on par or even slightly more difficult compared to last year's exam, although from what I've heard, the majority have agreed that this exam was much more difficult compared to last year's one. I know it can be stressful, but the best thing you can do is to focus on your upcoming exams and not to think about how scaling will affect your exam mark. If you can't control something, there's no point in worrying too much about it, which may just add further pressure onto you.

AlphaBetaThetaGamma

HSC
my estimate is 75 for e4. rui from atar notes said "This, however, has got to be the most draining MX2 paper I've done in a very long time. The only other time I recall of feeling so defeated was in 2018 or something where the chaotic Euclidean geometry question showed up" according to the raw marks database, in 2018, an e4 cutoff was exactly 72 raw but tbh i think more people did better in this exam than i originally thought so e4 might be higher like 75-77, possibly 80. a raw of 90 might then scale to a 95. would be amazing if it was closer to 2014 scaling, raw 90 scaled to a juicy 97.
Its only relative. Rui loves maths and does really well in math in Uni.

notme123

HSC
I think its hard to get really high marks like in the 90s but high 80s is doable/easier to achieve.
even a low 90 is doable. my raw mark i calculated ended up in the range from 87-90 depending on how many marks they give me for stuff. but a lot of the marks i lost were carried errors and easily avoidable. 94 is the boundary where beyond that you have to be prodigious

icycledough

HSC
I would say a lot of students in the top selective schools would get raw marks in the high 80s, even low 90s. Hence, why you see the 99s and 100s which make up most of the state ranks. It definitely is possible for students who may not go to the top schools to get these high raw marks, but not as prevalent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)