• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quote technique meanin (2 Viewers)

Akshara Patil

HSC
I would if I knew thy heart - tis figured in my tongue - Anne states the first part, to which Richard cunningly replies as given on the right - does this use irony?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps having a look at the quotes from a modern English perspective may allow us to determine whether irony can apply here:

Anne: "I wish I knew what was in your heart."
Richard: "I've told you"

Now, given our understanding of the quotes in modern English, one can infer that irony may indeed be a technique that is relevant in this context, since, despite Richard having already told Anne of what is/was in his heart, the latter is still doubtful, which is further demonstrated by the subsequent quote from Anne, being "I fear me both are false" (i.e. "I fear that your words and your heart are both false.").

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@jimmysmith560 oh ok - would this be a case of stichomythia thanks!
Recall the definition and application of stichomythia:

A technique where alternating lines, or half-lines, are given to alternating characters, voices, or entities. Passages of stichomythia generally occur during moments of high tension or conflict between characters.
Since there appears to be a conflict between Richard and Anne regarding Richard's true characteristics, you could probably establish a case of stichomythia here. You should probably confirm this with your teacher just to be safe. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)