Is it possible to achieve an ATAR of 96+ with these marks? (1 Viewer)

bronco_NarcO.021

HSC
Hello, to whoever is reading this,
I would like your honest opinion on the question above: Is it possible to achieve an ATAR of 96+ with these marks?
The subjects that I am currently doing include:
  • Economics
  • Geography
  • Maths Advanced/Extension 1
  • Physics
  • English Standard
And the marks/ranks so far that I have gotten for these mentioned subjects include:
  • Economics: 75% (Ranked 8th out of 12)
  • Geography: 80% (Ranked 8th out of 12)
  • Maths Advanced: 68% (Ranked 11th out of 11)
  • Maths Extension 1: 31% (Ranked 5th out of 5)
  • Physics: 93% (Ranked 3rd out of 6)
  • English Standard: 68% (This mark comes from my first English Advanced Assessment Mark, because I haven't done my English Standard Assessment yet)
The reason that I wish to get an ATAR of 96 is because I wish to do a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering/Master of Electrical Engineering at UNSW.
So what do you think from these marks? Can I still get this ATAR or if not, what I can do to help improve my chances of getting such a high ATAR?
(P.S: Also, on a side note, what universities do you think are good for engineering/IT courses other than UNSW?)

Thanks and much obliged,
bronco_NarcO.021

vishnay

God
HSC
Hello, to whoever is reading this,
I would like your honest opinion on the question above: Is it possible to achieve an ATAR of 96+ with these marks?
The subjects that I am currently doing include:
  • Economics
  • Geography
  • Maths Advanced/Extension 1
  • Physics
  • English Standard
And the marks/ranks so far that I have gotten for these mentioned subjects include:
  • Economics: 75% (Ranked 8th out of 12)
  • Geography: 80% (Ranked 8th out of 12)
  • Maths Advanced: 68% (Ranked 11th out of 11)
  • Maths Extension 1: 31% (Ranked 5th out of 5)
  • Physics: 93% (Ranked 3rd out of 6)
  • English Standard: 68% (This mark comes from my first English Advanced Assessment Mark, because I haven't done my English Standard Assessment yet)
The reason that I wish to get an ATAR of 96 is because I wish to do a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering/Master of Electrical Engineering at UNSW.
So what do you think from these marks? Can I still get this ATAR or if not, what I can do to help improve my chances of getting such a high ATAR?
(P.S: Also, on a side note, what universities do you think are good for engineering/IT courses other than UNSW?)

Thanks and much obliged,
bronco_NarcO.021
probably not but u can always start working harder

also b. elec eng is 90 lsr where did u get 96 from

bronco_NarcO.021

HSC
My bad, according to the UNSW website, it says the atar lsr requirement for Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)/Master of Engineering (Electrical Engineering) in 2021, was 94.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
An important piece of information is that, provided you do your best to perform favourably across your subjects, and are able to maintain such performance throughout year 12, you can definitely achieve your ATAR goal with your current subject combination. This leads us to the information that you have provided in terms of your current performance in your respective subjects. As mentioned above, it doesn't seem like your performance is consistent with your ATAR goal at this point in time. However, this is definitely not final, as you likely still have school-based assessment tasks/exams that are yet to be completed, not to mention HSC exams, which are worth 50% of your HSC mark (final mark) for each of your subjects. This means that you definitely have a good opportunity to improve your performance as you progress through year 12, hopefully maximising your chances of reaching your ATAR goal. Additionally, information as to recent number of band 6's/E4's achieved at your school in each of your subjects would be beneficial in terms of providing a more accurate perspective in relation to your current performance.

Regarding potentially good engineering degrees at institutions other than UNSW, and in addition to USyd's and UTS's respective Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) degrees, I suggest having a look at the Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours) WSU-UNSW Collaborative Program, which offers electrical as a major:

I hope this helps! :D

bronco_NarcO.021

HSC
Thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely keep that in mind as I progress throughout the rest of the year. In regards to the university program, I also appreciate that as well.

dannyo1

HSC
Please note that UNSW gives out copious amounts of bonus points - like +5 to your ATAR if you get Band 6's in relevant subject areas. For you that is both maths and Physics - bust your ass to get band 6's in these!!!!!!
I'll be honest, doing English standard shoots you in the foot a bit espescially when you're not doing 4U maths as a good counterbalance. There is an imperative for you to go well in standard purely because of how poorly it scales - get on it buddy.

Now, with the above in mind, you really only need an ATAR of 89 if you're going for this degree, bonus points considered.

So, here's what I would do in your shoes:
Geography is a fucking snooze. Memorise the content and bang out the essays - NESA pulled a cheeky one on us in the 2021 HSC, but if you look at every previous year the questions are literally just syllabus points with a command word and question mark, easy!!!! Grind for maths and physics, these scale well and will give you the greatest return on investment when bonus points are considered. English you really need to work on. Your best 2 units of english count towards that ATAR come hell or high water, and it has the potential to really drag you down.

Good luck my friend, it'll be over before you know it.

idkkdi

HSC
Please note that UNSW gives out copious amounts of bonus points - like +5 to your ATAR if you get Band 6's in relevant subject areas. For you that is both maths and Physics - bust your ass to get band 6's in these!!!!!!
I'll be honest, doing English standard shoots you in the foot a bit espescially when you're not doing 4U maths as a good counterbalance. There is an imperative for you to go well in standard purely because of how poorly it scales - get on it buddy.

Now, with the above in mind, you really only need an ATAR of 89 if you're going for this degree, bonus points considered.

So, here's what I would do in your shoes:
Geography is a fucking snooze. Memorise the content and bang out the essays - NESA pulled a cheeky one on us in the 2021 HSC, but if you look at every previous year the questions are literally just syllabus points with a command word and question mark, easy!!!! Grind for maths and physics, these scale well and will give you the greatest return on investment when bonus points are considered. English you really need to work on. Your best 2 units of english count towards that ATAR come hell or high water, and it has the potential to really drag you down.

Good luck my friend, it'll be over before you know it.
@bronco_NarcO.021 bonus points are the way to go

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Under UNSW's HSC Plus, the subjects from your subject selection for which you can have adjustment factors applied to your ATAR in terms of the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Electrical) / Master of Engineering (Electrical) are:
  • Mathematics Advanced
  • Mathematics Extension 1
  • Physics
A band 6 in Mathematics Advanced will grant you 5 bonus points, whereas a band 5 will grant you 3 bonus points.

A band E4 in Mathematics Extension 1 will grant you 5 bonus points, whereas a band E3 will grant you 1 bonus point.

Lastly, a band 6 in Physics will grant you 2 bonus points, whereas a band 5 will grant you 1 bonus point.

As was mentioned above, you can access information regarding adjustment factors on the relevant page from the UNSW website, where you can also check the academic requirements for other degrees/programs that you might be interested in:

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
If you got first in external any mark is possible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)