Subject Selection help lol (1 Viewer)

crysterial

HSC
idk if i'm writting this in the write place ANYWAY

I'm currently picking my subjects which need to be selected by the 13th of May, when leaving school I want to study Law at university and i've known since year 7 that it's going to be my career path LOL

Background info ig, top english and math class and recieve the highest marks in commerce and art my stage 5 electives

What im thinking of doing

100% doing
- Legal Studies
- Adv Eng
- Studies of Religion 1
- Visual Design (1 unit, dropping at the end of year 11)
- Visual Art (need some balance HA)
- Society and Culture

I'm stuck between doing Modern History , Business Studies , CaFS (basically i need to pick 2 of those and theres my 12 units)

I don't really wanna do math but if i was to id do Adv

I think it's really between Modern and Business but i just want advice and if you see any possible flaws idk speak it LMAO BYE

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you wish to choose between Modern History and Business Studies, I believe it would be beneficial to include an in-depth comparison of both subjects, which will hopefully enable you to make an informed decision:

Modern History:

The Modern History course provides students with opportunities to develop and apply their understanding of methods and issues involved in the investigation of modern history. Through various sources, students study a range of people, ideas, movements, events and developments that have shaped the modern world.

It is important to consider whether you have an interest in learning about history in general. You may wish to recall your experience of learning about history in Stage 5 to assist you with this. Interest in a particular subject can be an indicator of the quality of the commitment that you can display as part of your studies for that subject, and can therefore influence your performance positively. This brings us to another point, which is to consider your performance potential in Modern History, i.e. how well do you believe you can perform in this subject?

While scaling should not be a primary consideration with respect to subject selection (as mentioned, interest and performance potential should be prioritised), Modern History scales relatively well.

Business Studies:

The Business Studies course provides students with opportunities to develop an understanding of the manner in which theoretical and practical aspects of business combine. Students study contemporary business issues by examining case study material and apply their knowledge to issues encountered in the business environment.

In terms of whether you may be interested in taking Business Studies, you should assess your experience of Stage 5 Commerce. Additionally, I believe you should consider the relevance of this subject to your studies beyond year 12. While not to the extent of Legal Studies, Business Studies (the HSC course in particular) explores a number of laws relevant to a number of fields within the business world that may be consistent with your interest of studying law at university. Examples include:
  • The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Marketing)
  • The Corporations Act 2001 (Finance)
  • The Fair Work Act 2009 (Human Resources)
In terms of your performance potential, your favourable performance in Stage 5 Commerce could be a good sign when thinking about how well you think you can perform in Business Studies.

As mentioned above, scaling should not be a main factor when choosing subjects as the emphasis should be on your interest in taking a particular subject in addition to how well you believe you can perform in that subject. With that being said, Business Studies is a relatively low scaling subject.

I hope this helps! 😄

crysterial

HSC
If you wish to choose between Modern History and Business Studies, I believe it would be beneficial to include an in-depth comparison of both subjects, which will hopefully enable you to make an informed decision:

Modern History:

The Modern History course provides students with opportunities to develop and apply their understanding of methods and issues involved in the investigation of modern history. Through various sources, students study a range of people, ideas, movements, events and developments that have shaped the modern world.

It is important to consider whether you have an interest in learning about history in general. You may wish to recall your experience of learning about history in Stage 5 to assist you with this. Interest in a particular subject can be an indicator of the quality of the commitment that you can display as part of your studies for that subject, and can therefore influence your performance positively. This brings us to another point, which is to consider your performance potential in Modern History, i.e. how well do you believe you can perform in this subject?

While scaling should not be a primary consideration with respect to subject selection (as mentioned, interest and performance potential should be prioritised), Modern History scales relatively well.

Business Studies:

The Business Studies course provides students with opportunities to develop an understanding of the manner in which theoretical and practical aspects of business combine. Students study contemporary business issues by examining case study material and apply their knowledge to issues encountered in the business environment.

In terms of whether you may be interested in taking Business Studies, you should assess your experience of Stage 5 Commerce. Additionally, I believe you should consider the relevance of this subject to your studies beyond year 12. While not to the extent of Legal Studies, Business Studies (the HSC course in particular) explores a number of laws relevant to a number of fields within the business world that may be consistent with your interest of studying law at university. Examples include:
  • The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Marketing)
  • The Corporations Act 2001 (Finance)
  • The Fair Work Act 2009 (Human Resources)
In terms of your performance potential, your favourable performance in Stage 5 Commerce could be a good sign when thinking about how well you think you can perform in Business Studies.

As mentioned above, scaling should not be a main factor when choosing subjects as the emphasis should be on your interest in taking a particular subject in addition to how well you believe you can perform in that subject. With that being said, Business Studies is a relatively low scaling subject.

I hope this helps! 😄

AHHH thank you so much !!

with that being said i did do a bit of research into how scaling works and did learn that society and culture doesn't scale too well either
(art doesnt i know that also but i'm good at it anyway so idrc)
I've decided I'm not gonna go with CaFS becuase it was more to try break up so many Humanities subjects but it scales awfully too and wasn't a main priority

Math adv also seems to scale quite well and I don't want to base it off scaling but it might just be a good way to break it up

when I first thought of subject selections for year 12 i actually was thinking

eng adv
math adv
re1
visual art
legal
modern history

so now im thinking of going back to it ANYWAY

final thing, out of all the above subjects mentioned and the small idea you might know could i ask if you could give me what you think might be the best decision (if youre allowed to give that sort of direction)
A few things I did forget to mention
- Not a fan of australian history but I have enjoyed ww2 in Germany so far
- I attend a catholic school so RE is compulsory
- I want to head into the HSC year 12 with 11 units

crysterial

HSC

with that being said i did do a bit of research into how scaling works and did learn that society and culture doesn't scale too well either
I've decided I'm not gonna go with CaFS becuase it was more to try break up so many Humanities subjects but it scales awfully too and wasn't a main priority

Math adv also seems to scale quite well and I don't want to base it off scaling but it might just be a good way to break it up

eng adv
math adv
re1
visual art
legal
modern history

final thing, out of all the above subjects mentioned and the small idea you might know could i ask if you could give me what you think might be the best decision (if youre allowed to give that sort of direction)
adding on if i do modern history and do well i would probably consider doing history extension year 12
tbh gonna go back through old assessments/exams and reports to see how i have done in history in the past

NINKA12131

HSC

eng adv
math adv
re1
visual art
legal
modern history

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts on this. In terms of studying law in uni, you would be fine with any subject as law in university is vastly different from legal studies. In my opinion it's much better. Personally i think modern history compliments legal well in terms of essay writing/critical thinking. In saying that i didn't do business studies so I can't comment on it.

Math advance is good too but only if you think you are gonna be able to put in the time to study for it.

crysterial

HSC
Just wanted to share some of my thoughts on this. In terms of studying law in uni, you would be fine with any subject as law in university is vastly different from legal studies. In my opinion it's much better. Personally i think modern history compliments legal well in terms of essay writing/critical thinking. In saying that i didn't do business studies so I can't comment on it.

Math advance is good too but only if you think you are gonna be able to put in the time to study for it.
Do you mind if I ask what subjects you did for your HSC? I've heard modern history compliments it really well. And yeah that also makes me think because that is another subject of essay writing which means business could give be a break between it all but oh well. And I have heard and know quite a few people who ended up dropping math in year 12 because of the study time they had to dedicate to it which makes me unsure

NINKA12131

HSC
Do you mind if I ask what subjects you did for your HSC? I've heard modern history compliments it really well. And yeah that also makes me think because that is another subject of essay writing which means business could give be a break between it all but oh well. And I have heard and know quite a few people who ended up dropping math in year 12 because of the study time they had to dedicate to it which makes me unsure
I think if you like essay writing it will be fine. It all really depends on you. For the HSC i did modern, legal, math adv, eng adv, chem, his ext

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

eng adv
math adv
re1
visual art
legal
modern history

adding on if i do modern history and do well i would probably consider doing history extension year 12
tbh gonna go back through old assessments/exams and reports to see how i have done in history in the past
No worries!

If you believe that you are capable of performing well in Mathematics Advanced (which requires regular study and practice), then you should probably give it a try.

Regarding Modern History, the fact that you are not a fan of Australian history should not impact your interest in taking this subject, given that content within this subject extends to modern historical events of other regions/countries. I suggest having a look at the syllabus document for Modern History to familiarise yourself more with course content:

As NINKA12131 mentioned, it is not imperative to take Legal Studies or a subject that covers concepts similar to those of Legal Studies if you wish to study law at university. However, legal knowledge gained from subjects like Legal Studies and Business Studies is beneficial in the sense that it can, to an extent, familiarise you with the basics of the Australian legal framework, which is usually a nice addition to your general knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)