motivation (1 Viewer)

tgone

HSC
Does anyone have any good tips as to how to actually start studying? I've been quite good at it in the past, and my ranks are all quite good, but I'm struggling recently (I haven't really studied in the 4 weeks since trials - maybe a tiny bit) to have the motivation to start studying. I feel like I'm burnt out after trials - and even though my atar goal is quite ambitious (hopefully 99.90+, it seems achievable with my internal and trial marks - I'm ranked 1 for all subjects except 2 in adv english) I just haven't been able to start studying effectively - I just get home and feel unproductive. Any tips?

tgone

HSC
I would like to elaborate slightly - I have tried doing all the regular make timetables, set goals, taking breaks, but it feels like I've just done it all already for trials and other assessments and it feels monotonous now...

d1zzyohs

HSC
Hard to say. I took a 2 week break after trials, because I felt burnt out. Seems like you are very, very burnt out.
You have two options, and you need to think it through:
1. Start now, and hustle through the burn out. You will feel the pain, but if you really need the 99.90+, then this may have to be a sacrifice you make. NEVER, let your mental health spiral though. There's a difference in feeling tired and burnt; and to feeling suicidal.
2. Wait till the holidays. You will have two weeks (or at least my school does) before the HSC begins. English is our first exam; and its the one subject everyone's finished the content in, and that you can memorise easily. (Remember, these two weeks are empty days... 12 hour study days are possible..)

No matter how you feel mate, you are good enough. Don't let your academics get to your head too much - you already seem like an incredibly gifted student.

I'm feeling way better after I've gotten back into the rhythm of things; so I think that the loss of routine actually added to my burn out.

good luck mate, find your drive.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think I've said this before but I'll say it again.

Motivation is momentary and doesn't stick with you. You've got to develop a habit of continual revision. Do people ever get tired of eating breakfast every day? My general advice with burn out is to set a bare minimum standard of things to do each day. It sounds like you are in a good position in terms of knowing your content which already eases the load of revision.

So your revision could just be completing 1-2 past papers a day depending on which subject you feel like doing.

Idk about you but whenever I finished a past paper and marked it I felt a huge sense of relief and accomplishment. So if you can manage at least a paper a day, I feel like once HSC comes around you'll have the habit of doing past papers and that idea of needing "motivation" or feeling "burn out" will be a thing of the past.

Also like what @d1zzyohs has said. Know when to take a break and recognise when you're mental needs taking care of. No point achieving a 99 atar if you can't enjoy it after the HSC, feeling like you've sacrificed too much for it.

Vall

HSC
Are people actually doing 1-2 past papers are day rn? Like aren’t you still going to school

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Are people actually doing 1-2 past papers are day rn? Like aren’t you still going to school
I would say this is possible! But from experience, doing more past papers does not always equal more marks - its more so how much you gain from each paper I would say!

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I mean doing a past paper should take on average only 2 hours (might be shorter if the paper is easy). I’m assuming at this point content wise people should be wrapping up their understanding for each subject and should now have time to do the papers.

I would say this is possible! But from experience, doing more past papers does not always equal more marks - its more so how much you gain from each paper I would say!
You’ll also realise for some subjects like maths and phys that there will be those curveball questions that will make you think. By the time HSC comes around nothing should really surprise you in the exam if you’ve done proper revision.

In relation to the op, sounds like he knows his content = has more free time. To utilise it effectively, would be to be doing papers.

One last thing before I forget. Doing study sessions with the lads on call. It’s more fun if everyone is motivating each other to do well. Even though you are first rank wise, getting asked questions and knowing how to solve them will boost your own understanding.

tgone

HSC
Thanks everyone - this is actually quite helpful; I think I will start going to the library every day to do one or two past papers and some content revision.

One last thing before I forget. Doing study sessions with the lads on call. It’s more fun if everyone is motivating each other to do well. Even though you are first rank wise, getting asked questions and knowing how to solve them will boost your own understanding.
Definitely agree with this part - I think answering others' questions in a good concise way is an excellent way to develop learning and exam responses; and also helps expose areas that might not have as solid understanding. Thanks!

No matter how you feel mate, you are good enough. Don't let your academics get to your head too much - you already seem like an incredibly gifted student.

I'm feeling way better after I've gotten back into the rhythm of things; so I think that the loss of routine actually added to my burn out.
Thanks a lot - the rhythm comment really helps - I think if I just grind through for a few days the routine will fuel itself.

d1zzyohs

HSC
yeah, 1-2 past papers is definitely doable, and what i'm doing right now.
ideally, you should be doing papers at less than the time actually available, so that you have breathing room incase you get a killer exam.
study periods + from 5-9:30; i usually have about 5-6 hours of available study time every day; so usually a mx1 mx2 paper or eng paper mx2 or phys mx1 paper every day.

carrotsss

HSC
I’ve been doing 1-2 past papers a day on weekdays and I’m in prelim, I guess if I can do it, year 12s can?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)