What to expect at a selective school (1 Viewer)

quan1212

HSC
Hi, I am moving to North Sydney Boys next year from a private school and I am a bit nervous about how it will be at a selective school. Can anyone offer me any tips about succeeding and overall having a good time at a school like NSB? Is there information about any current/past students can offer?

Also I had some other questions like is there sport in year 11? I was thinking of using an iPad to take notes in class, is this a good idea?

Thanks!

lazyyy

HSC
im from a selective school and i can reassure you that we are not like boring nerds like how it is often assumed. a selective school environment is like any other student environment, with the exception of the fact that students generally care more about their academic performance and their future career plans (some people to the extreme, and some people not at all). like any other large environment, there should be a variety of social bubbles that you can select from, so just be yourself!

i dont remember the NSB selection process but since you have made it in after being chosen from a pool of high performing students, it is likely that you will be at least average or a high performing student once you join. in order to perform well or maintain your ranking, of course, you will just have to work hard and be consistent with a sustainable study routine, there's really nothing unique to it.

also with the ipad question, its not really a question you can ask generally as ipad note taking is just another form of note taking, each methods has its pros and cons while each individual has their own strengths and weaknesses. you should consider the benefits and drawbacks against your own preferences!

Vall

HSC
teachers might be on at you about writing on paper cause thats what you gotta do in the HSC exams.
EDIT: in reference to the ipad

quan1212

HSC
im from a selective school and i can reassure you that we are not like boring nerds like how it is often assumed. a selective school environment is like any other student environment, with the exception of the fact that students generally care more about their academic performance and their future career plans (some people to the extreme, and some people not at all). like any other large environment, there should be a variety of social bubbles that you can select from, so just be yourself!

i dont remember the NSB selection process but since you have made it in after being chosen from a pool of high performing students, it is likely that you will be at least average or a high performing student once you join. in order to perform well or maintain your ranking, of course, you will just have to work hard and be consistent with a sustainable study routine, there's really nothing unique to it.

also with the ipad question, its not really a question you can ask generally as ipad note taking is just another form of note taking, each methods has its pros and cons while each individual has their own strengths and weaknesses. you should consider the benefits and drawbacks against your own preferences!
wow thanks for all that information!

teachers might be on at you about writing on paper cause thats what you gotta do in the HSC exams.
EDIT: in reference to the ipad
yeah thats what im worried about. haha i think ive just been watching too many ipad note taking videos. i think ill stick with pen and paper and just use my ipad for journalling or smt.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hi, I am moving to North Sydney Boys next year from a private school and I am a bit nervous about how it will be at a selective school. Can anyone offer me any tips about succeeding and overall having a good time at a school like NSB? Is there information about any current/past students can offer?

Also I had some other questions like is there sport in year 11? I was thinking of using an iPad to take notes in class, is this a good idea?

Thanks!
nsb will be very competitive so make sure ur on top on ur study but if the private school u attend is in the high ranks and ur doing fairly well there i’m sure you’ll do well at nsb too :)
even if the private school ur attending now isn’t too great it just means you’ll have to work extremely hard to stay near the top of the cohort but regardless i’m sure you’ll do well seeing that you have been accepted into such a good school

asduiashdi

HSC
nsb will be very competitive so make sure ur on top on ur study but if the private school u attend is in the high ranks and ur doing fairly well there i’m sure you’ll do well at nsb too :)
even if the private school ur attending now isn’t too great it just means you’ll have to work extremely hard to stay near the top of the cohort but regardless i’m sure you’ll do well seeing that you have been accepted into such a good school
thanks for the encouragement! my private school is ranked ~100 so not the greatest. ive heard that theres actually a high teacher turnover rate at nsb so hopefully that doesnt affect me too much. i mainly transferred for the competitive environment anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)