Tips for Ruse exam? Trying to get into James Ruse for Year 10 (1 Viewer)

jkdsghaweofhb

HSC
N/A
Hey there,
Has anyone done the James Ruse test for Year 10 (year 9 going into year 10)? If so, could you please give me some tips as to how to do well? Also, does anyone know if people get accepted into James Ruse in Year 10?
Thanks in advance

shixuans

HSC
never done the exam myself - just know that they won’t have places for too many people (only if someone has left the school or a transfer hasn’t decided to come)

they’ll have 20 or so placements nxt yr (going into y11) as opposed to maybe around 5 this yr (if lucky)

if you wanna dm me, maybe i can connect u with some transfers that i know of?

jkdsghaweofhb

HSC
N/A
never done the exam myself - just know that they won’t have places for too many people (only if someone has left the school or a transfer hasn’t decided to come)

they’ll have 20 or so placements nxt yr (going into y11) as opposed to maybe around 5 this yr (if lucky)

if you wanna dm me, maybe i can connect u with some transfers that i know of?
Thank you very much

Deem_Skills

HSC
What was the test like? Was it IQ based or content based
I did the test for year 11 entry. Ruse does edutest (same with NSG i think). The numerical reasoning, the verbal reasoning and some of the reading comp was like an IQ test. The mathematics was mostly content based (like stuff you do in year 10 math classes) except you had on average 36s for a question AND no calculator. Not sure what my take is on writing.

Heard HAST is quite IQ based tho even though i havent doen ti

xiiaomeii

HSC
N/A
I did the test for year 11 entry. Ruse does edutest (same with NSG i think). The numerical reasoning, the verbal reasoning and some of the reading comp was like an IQ test. The mathematics was mostly content based (like stuff you do in year 10 math classes) except you had on average 36s for a question AND no calculator. Not sure what my take is on writing.

Heard HAST is quite IQ based tho even though i havent doen ti
was the maths basically like quadratics and geometry etc? like the australian curriculum mathematics? was the english and numerical reasoning also based on stuff you learn in class? i think i'll take the test in year 10 and i just want to be prepared as soon as possible

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hey there,
Has anyone done the James Ruse test for Year 10 (year 9 going into year 10)? If so, could you please give me some tips as to how to do well? Also, does anyone know if people get accepted into James Ruse in Year 10?
Thanks in advance
Hi!
I wish you the best of luck! Few of my friends go to ruse and one of my classmates got into ruse this year! For Y10 last year, they took in in one girl and one boy but it depends on each year I'm guessing. I haven't done the James Ruse test re-selective test before but some of my friends took to the NSG one and said it was more difficult than the HAST one, so make sure you do a lot of practice questions from different sources. James Ruse also looks at your extra-curricular activities so make sure you did a lot of them last/this year because if someone got full marks on the edutest and their report and did no extra-curriculars and someone got above average marks with a lot of extra curricular activities and awards, most likely the second person will get in.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hi!
I wish you the best of luck! Few of my friends go to ruse and one of my classmates got into ruse this year! For Y10 last year, they took in in one girl and one boy but it depends on each year I'm guessing. I haven't done the James Ruse test re-selective test before but some of my friends took to the NSG one and said it was more difficult than the HAST one, so make sure you do a lot of practice questions from different sources. James Ruse also looks at your extra-curricular activities so make sure you did a lot of them last/this year because if someone got full marks on the edutest and their report and did no extra-curriculars and someone got above average marks with a lot of extra curricular activities and awards, most likely the second person will get in.
I think the edu test is more based on what you learn in school so it should be easier than the HAST one which is more so based on IQ. The only differentiating factor that might make people think that the Edutest is harder is the very strict time stamps. The HAST test has less questions per sub sections and you are granted more time whereas the Edutest is the complete opposite. I think to do well in the Edutest you just have to practice being fast yet accurate at the same time.

I actually completed the HAST last year and although I haven’t done the Edutest before several people told me that the maths and science section in the HAST is more difficult than the maths section in the Edutest. I’m not sure about the other sections regarding which test is harder though.

kkk579

hello
HSC
James Ruse also looks at your extra-curricular activities so make sure you did a lot of them last/this year because if someone got full marks on the edutest and their report and did no extra-curriculars and someone got above average marks with a lot of extra curricular activities and awards, most likely the second person will get in.
Nah Ruse is all about academics they’d defs take the person with stronger academics over someone with strong extracurriculars. However what you said would probably apply for the other lower ranked selective schools like SB(since sport and other extracurriculars is pretty important to them).

moonsuyoung

HSC
Nah Ruse is all about academics they’d defs take the person with stronger academics over someone with strong extracurriculars. However what you said would probably apply for the other lower ranked selective schools like SB(since sport and other extracurriculars is pretty important to them).
Wait but my friend who got in says they are trying to take in people with good academics and extracurriculars because they want to decrease the image of "always studying," I'm pretty sure.

moonsuyoung

HSC
I think the edu test is more based on what you learn in school so it should be easier than the HAST one which is more so based on IQ. The only differentiating factor that might make people think that the Edutest is harder is the very strict time stamps. The HAST test has less questions per sub sections and you are granted more time whereas the Edutest is the complete opposite. I think to do well in the Edutest you just have to practice being fast yet accurate at the same time.

I actually completed the HAST last year and although I haven’t done the Edutest before several people told me that the maths and science section in the HAST is more difficult than the maths section in the Edutest. I’m not sure about the other sections regarding which test is harder though.
Yea! Maybe that's why my friends said it was difficult because they didn't have enough time to finish some sections! :eek2:

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hi!
Do you go to Sydney Girls?

advsychamp1

HSC
Hey guys, I'm in Normanhurst Boys Year seven, looking to get into Baulko in the Year 8 transfer. I know that we need to pass the edutest but I'm not sure about the preparation aspects of it. If anyone knows anything on how to prepare for each subject of the test, please feel to let me know ASAP, since the tests is up and coming in three months.

Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)