Is it worth doing english ext? (1 Viewer)

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
Hello all!

Recently I have been recommended by my school to do English Ext 1 for year 11. Is it worth doing it? does it help with eng adv?

I personally never really enjoyed the content in english but i perform alright in it (my rank is roughly 50/200). I mainly just struggle with creative writing and having my analysis flow in essay writing. I am kinda only considering it in hopes that it will improve my english lol

Cheers!

zaddiaone

HSC
I did extension English in year 11 and dropped it in year 12 what I am going to say is

a) the texts studied are very different to advanced English

b) the content is quite alright but with extension the level of writing and vocabulary would be extensive than English adv

c) do it if you’re interested in it, I highly recommend it

airora

HSC
also dropped eng ext in year 12! I didn't mind it content-wise but (as someone who takes a disproportionate amount of time overthinking, planning and rewriting essays) it ultimately took too much time away from my other subjects. Despite being worth one unit, it probably took as much time (or more) as a 2-unit subject. Would still recommend it for year 11 as a taster, unless you have another subject that you would prefer instead

HSC
i'm currently doing y11 ext eng and i plan to drop it at the end of term 3. to some extent it does help you with advanced english, you get more "assessment practice" which is the main reason i took it. however a bunch of the approaches taken are much more in depth, and in some cases, largely irrelevant to adv english so it's good to keep that in mind.

idkkdi

HSC
Hello all!

Recently I have been recommended by my school to do English Ext 1 for year 11. Is it worth doing it? does it help with eng adv?

I personally never really enjoyed the content in english but i perform alright in it (my rank is roughly 50/200). I mainly just struggle with creative writing and having my analysis flow in essay writing. I am kinda only considering it in hopes that it will improve my english lol

Cheers!
i found it useful. would recommend

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
I dropped english extension at the start of year 12 as well - just personal opinion: whilst it helped in advanced, I found spending more time on advanced by itself was beneficial. In addition, the texts were difficult and so were the tasks when compared with advanced + those who performed well in extension did not always perform so well in advanced correspondingly. But of course if one likes it and can put the effort, the subject will serve well!

Ksalu

HSC
how much does creative writing matter in english ext? Due to subject lines, I might be stuck with english ext (instead of the subjects i want)

raspberriesandpears

HSC
i do ext english and love it (although obviously i'm an english girlie, and it helps that i topped in year 11)
- assessments will differ school to school i believe - in year 11 we had a discursive, an essay, and an irp, the latter being the only assessment i think every school does.
- extension 1 english, especially in year 11, is very focused on social, historical, political context etc + context of the author. most of the work you do is evaluating certain points of the text and how they relate to this context.
- i think it's worth doing for year 11, i love it.
- what are your prescribed texts?

Ksalu

HSC
i do ext english and love it (although obviously i'm an english girlie, and it helps that i topped in year 11)
- assessments will differ school to school i believe - in year 11 we had a discursive, an essay, and an irp, the latter being the only assessment i think every school does.
- extension 1 english, especially in year 11, is very focused on social, historical, political context etc + context of the author. most of the work you do is evaluating certain points of the text and how they relate to this context.
- i think it's worth doing for year 11, i love it.
- what are your prescribed texts?
my prescribed texts are brave new world, utopia and blade runner :)
Thanks for ur inputs

Was it hard to balance out both extensions? I heard from mates who are graduating this year and those who have already graduated that managing both is really stressful and hard

aulinia

HSC
my prescribed texts are brave new world, utopia and blade runner :)
Thanks for ur inputs

Was it hard to balance out both extensions? I heard from mates who are graduating this year and those who have already graduated that managing both is really stressful and hard
I mean i dont do EE2 (did EE1 in 11), but i have a few friends taking on EE2 and the major work this year and some from last year. It definitely is heavy, but if you have a passion for English and excel, it shouldn’t be an issue as long as you stay consistent and organised (which you should be doing for the rest of your subjects anyway). A major work is going to be a lot of work, which is why it’s important to continually work at it throughout the year!! Im doing two major works this year so thats my bit of advice haha

Ksalu

HSC
I mean i dont do EE2 (did EE1 in 11), but i have a few friends taking on EE2 and the major work this year and some from last year. It definitely is heavy, but if you have a passion for English and excel, it shouldn’t be an issue as long as you stay consistent and organised (which you should be doing for the rest of your subjects anyway). A major work is going to be a lot of work, which is why it’s important to continually work at it throughout the year!! Im doing two major works this year so thats my bit of advice haha
I meant english and maths extension. My bad lol but thanks for the input

carrotsss

HSC
I have a friend who does both and she’s found it pretty stressful, but it’s definitely possible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)