Should I drop to standard math? (1 Viewer)

dumbcurry

HSC
I'm in year 11 and am studying Adv Math, Adv English, Biology, Economics, Business Studies and Design and Technology. I recently got my first test back for math adv. I got 28% and scored slightly below the average. I feel like dropping to standard will be better for me as I feel like I can perform far better and have a high rank. However, I am still worried about scaling. I want to study business at university, and some business majors require adv math prerequisite knowledge such as calculus. Should I drop to standard math doing a bridging course after school, or stick it out in Advanced Math?

cossine

HSC
I'm in year 11 and am studying Adv Math, Adv English, Biology, Economics, Business Studies and Design and Technology. I recently got my first test back for math adv. I got 28% and scored slightly below the average. I feel like dropping to standard will be better for me as I feel like I can perform far better and have a high rank. However, I am still worried about scaling. I want to study business at university, and some business majors require adv math prerequisite knowledge such as calculus. Should I drop to standard math doing a bridging course after school, or stick it out in Advanced Math?
Even if you drop to standard that does not mean you will do well. Study hard, use the textbook (E.g. Terry Lee), know what your theorem, definitions are and how to apply them.

popsmokeswife

HSC
Definently consider it. For me the adv class and teacher was really good but i just wasnt performing so i dropped and ended up doing wayyy better in standard even though i had a shitty class and teacher lmao. Keep in mind if your getting like 95 u shouldnt be to worried ab scalling. U also have very content heavy subjects and u think u can perform well in standard definently do it, maybe do like a standard past paper to see if the content is achievable for u

dumbcurry

HSC
Even if you drop to standard that does not mean you will do well. Study hard, use the textbook (E.g. Terry Lee), know what your theorem, definitions are and how to apply them.
Do you think it's worth dropping (I will study hard of course regardless of if I drop or not)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
it's only the first task, so i'd suggest working on improving by the time you have your next assessment. in my opinion the adv math prerequisite/assumed knowledge would be reason enough to keep it, because you're doing the course in school (presumably for free if you're in public education) and it saves you so much more time and money to continue adv and not do a bridging course instead.

iirc i think the first assessment task for maths adv usually involves algebra and functions - i believe that falls into common content with standard so i don't think you'd fare well in standard at your current level either if your test was on those topics. use the holidays to improve on what you're getting wrong, and like the above comments have said use textbooks to try and get your maths back on track

dumbcurry

HSC
Definently consider it. For me the adv class and teacher was really good but i just wasnt performing so i dropped and ended up doing wayyy better in standard even though i had a shitty class and teacher lmao. Keep in mind if your getting like 95 u shouldnt be to worried ab scalling. U also have very content heavy subjects and u think u can perform well in standard definently do it, maybe do like a standard past paper to see if the content is achievable for u
Yeah I really like my class and teacher as well, but I'm struggling to understand the content. Thanks for your feedback!

dumbcurry

HSC
it's only the first task, so i'd suggest working on improving by the time you have your next assessment. in my opinion the adv math prerequisite/assumed knowledge would be reason enough to keep it, because you're doing the course in school (presumably for free if you're in public education) and it saves you so much more time and money to continue adv and not do a bridging course instead.

iirc i think the first assessment task for maths adv usually involves algebra and functions - i believe that falls into common content with standard so i don't think you'd fare well in standard at your current level either if your test was on those topics. use the holidays to improve on what you're getting wrong, and like the above comments have said use textbooks to try and get your maths back on track
Do you believe that a bridging course is worth it? I have found my classmate's standard content easier to understand and apply, I could postpone the stress of adv math level content to after hsc.

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Honestly both
If you find content hard, have you considered a tutor? Matrix education is perfect to keep on top of content, especially maths adv (they also have online courses, and trust me, they are worth it for the price.)

dumbcurry

HSC
If you find content hard, have you considered a tutor? Matrix education is perfect to keep on top of content, especially maths adv (they also have online courses, and trust me, they are worth it for the price.)
Im struggling even with tutoring :(

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
What do you do currently? Maybe it might be worth trying a different approach to studying etc

dumbcurry

HSC
What do you do currently? Maybe it might be worth trying a different approach to studying etc
I usually revise the lesson's topics after learning it in class, and before exams I do as many practice questions and exams as I can

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Do you believe that a bridging course is worth it? I have found my classmate's standard content easier to understand and apply, I could postpone the stress of adv math level content to after hsc.
why do that though with a course over the span of not even two weeks, when you have this year and the next to complete the same course for free?
the content may be 'easier to apply' but the common content for the two courses means that advanced and standard will have the same qns from topics that fall under the common content in the hsc. and arguably i think it would be more stressful to cram all that two years' worth of content into 10 or so days in a bridging course than to just do it now at a much more leisurely pace, provided that maths standard doesn't have calculus and some stats topics (which is the reason as to why unis have made maths adv prereqs/assumed knowledge in the first place)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
try doing extension 2, maybe that'll be easier

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
dumbcurry: maybe you need good guidance. You may have worked hard; but if you have been approaching it the wrong way, you'd not do well. No guarantee you will do well in Standard either if you drop. Luckily you are at beginning of Yr 11. You still have some time to seek remedy.

Suggest you find a good 1-on-1 maths tutor. He can diagnose your problems and hopefully prescribe a good remedy. Of course it is not easy to say who is good. It's like trying to find a good Travel Insurance policy; I don't know which company is good and which not so good. Of course you ca read reviews.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)