• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dr Du vs Private tutoring (2 Viewers)

s97127

HSC
I understand and agree with your point but there is another scenario: if I was a disciplined student who is willing to spend hours solving a question, why should I pay $2000/term for 4u course at dr du while I can pay $70/week for lessons from a tutor who has gone to dr du before? I will have access to dr du resources at a cheaper rate and help me with very difficult questions.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Honestly I see no point doing Dr Du unless you go to Ruse or you want a really competitive environment. Some of the questions there are copied form UNSW worksheets and at times they can be a little random such as learning the cross product or doing uni type Qs but one thing that can be said is that you'll be very ahead of your peers.

I just don't see a reason to break the bank, 1.2-3k per term I believe, for this since you can utilise online resources to kickstart yourself however this opinion holds no weight since I haven't tried it out. If I'd want a tutor I'd go for private since at times its more cheaper as well as you'll be able to receive more attention and help since its small classes or it could be one-to-one.

Self study is a great skill and I'd highly suggest people try studying themself for a bit but if you need a tutor there's no shame in rolling out the bucks esp. if your parents can afford it and they think its the best for you.

Anyways in university its all self-study. Its a hail mary if you get a decent or good professor but you'll find most lectures are not the same quality as say online videos or study notes.

If you're solely dependent on tutoring for your studies, I wish you all the best when you rock up to university and you're expected to learn all of 4U and more in 10 weeks by yourself with little to no guidance. Lectures are very bare-bones and designed in a way such that you can only complete very basic to low intermediate questions, to get harder questions you really have to have a strong grasp on a subject and be comfortable with going outside the course.

Literally for COMP1511 (Intro to programming), we had one of the worst lecturers I've ever seen. The sound quality was extremely poor and the camera tracking was awful to a point you were better off taking a 2hr nap than try to learn. He was also always going on about other courses than teaching the course and he was so dull I STOPPED watching lectures all together after that. My tutor literally warned this guy was shoddy and I followed his advice to study off the internet and I copped a 99 on my first assignment with no lectures for 1 week straight.

I've basically only watched the first 3 week lectures for all my courses and the rest has been pure self study. Way more effective. Less time consuming.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
"The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability."
totally not ripped of the 3u trial enhancemnets
> the car speeding at 120km per hr heading in your direction with no sign of stopping

1682346112159.png

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
there was a fire alarm the other day while i was getting copyrighted hsc resources and my first thought was that the tutoring companies had sent some mercenary after me
Prolly matrix education ngl those mfs on another level

s97127

HSC
Honestly I see no point doing Dr Du unless you go to Ruse or you want a really competitive environment. Some of the questions there are copied form UNSW worksheets and at times they can be a little random such as learning the cross product or doing uni type Qs but one thing that can be said is that you'll be very ahead of your peers.

I just don't see a reason to break the bank, 1.2-3k per term I believe, for this since you can utilise online resources to kickstart yourself however this opinion holds no weight since I haven't tried it out. If I'd want a tutor I'd go for private since at times its more cheaper as well as you'll be able to receive more attention and help since its small classes or it could be one-to-one.
Dr. Du charges $1656 for mx2 and $1422 for mx1 per term. I bet by the time I sit for my HSC exam in 2026, it's gonna be like $2000 per term or something. It's not just kids from selective schools that go there, but also (Asian) students from private schools like Sydney Grammar.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Dr. Du charges $1656 for mx2 and $1422 for mx1 per term. I bet by the time I sit for my HSC exam in 2026, it's gonna be like $2000 per term or something. It's not just kids from selective schools that go there, but also (Asian) students from private schools like Sydney Grammar.
Oh hell no 💀 u gotta drop almost 2 grand per term for a tutoring service yea no idgaf abt the service unless i get enlightenment im good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)