Post hsc depression (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
why don't you just do adv maths/cs at unsw
dont like unsw trimester + commute is weird for me (already live 1hr from central), also adv math + cs is a 5 year degree, whereas if i just do the degree at uts, i get 3years of undergraduate with basically every topic i want to study anyway, then i can decide if i want to do honours (which i would likely do at usyd/unsw, just for the research rep) or masters since im not quite decided on which i want to do / the feasibility of each

only reason i would go to unsw/usyd is if i wanted to study pure math since both unis have good classes in that, but im finding that my interests lie somewhere inbetween data science, pure and applied math, and the uts degree is just good for that

unsw also gave 5k scholarship, uts gave 15k, not like a crazy factor at play but its nice to not have to pay for commuting or books and all

idkkdi

HSC
dont like unsw trimester + commute is weird for me (already live 1hr from central), also adv math + cs is a 5 year degree, whereas if i just do the degree at uts, i get 3years of undergraduate with basically every topic i want to study anyway, then i can decide if i want to do honours (which i would likely do at usyd/unsw, just for the research rep) or masters since im not quite decided on which i want to do / the feasibility of each

only reason i would go to unsw/usyd is if i wanted to study pure math since both unis have good classes in that, but im finding that my interests lie somewhere inbetween data science, pure and applied math, and the uts degree is just good for that

unsw also gave 5k scholarship, uts gave 15k, not like a crazy factor at play but its nice to not have to pay for commuting or books and all
any cs/data sci/applied maths/stats/pure maths unsw/usyd vs uts course should have a sizeable difference in difficulty. while course names might seem similar, that's like saying integration is tested in 2u and 4u maths.

anyways, just from hearsay, the 1st yr uts maths courses are not comparable in difficulty and are much easier. also, i havent seen much representation if any from uts in quant trading.

just my 2c, but I doubt you would be challenged by maths courses at UTS given that you 99'd mx1 and 95'd mx2. there's probs a way to bsc double major or ditch honours to do a shorter degree if that's a concern.

liamkk112

HSC
any cs/data sci/applied maths/stats/pure maths unsw/usyd vs uts course should have a sizeable difference in difficulty. while course names might seem similar, that's like saying integration is tested in 2u and 4u maths.

anyways, just from hearsay, the 1st yr uts maths courses are not comparable in difficulty and are much easier. also, i havent seen much representation if any from uts in quant trading.

just my 2c, but I doubt you would be challenged by maths courses at UTS given that you 99'd mx1 and 95'd mx2. there's probs a way to bsc double major or ditch honours to do a shorter degree if that's a concern.
i have also looked at past examinations from both uts and unsw (at least for first year courses, aka "mathematics 1" or similar) as well as complex analysis, and imo unsw seems to have some slightly harder questions, but overall its not a crazy super big difficulty difference; in first year both had some simple questions that were just computations, some harder questions, a small amount of matrix stuff. only noticable thing i saw is that unsw had a little bit more geometry with vectors than uts but thats not going to change the difficulty an insane amount. im not sure about later courses eg real analysis, but i really cannot say for the first year that unsw had immensly harder exams than uts.

in terms of representation from uts in quant trading, a simple search of linkedin for master of quantiative finance shows multiple senior positions and many quant roles at various respected companies, including commonwealth bank, anz, deloitte, and asx, just looking at the first few results. im not saying that unsw and usyd people dont have any quant roles but uts definetly has a very respected program with their masters in quantiative finance, which of course does trickle down into reputation from graduates from bachelor degrees.

honestly i cant really see the huge disadvantage from studying at uts, there seems to be ample opportunities, the commute is easy for me, the subjects and curriculum match my interests, no trimesters where curriculum is compressed, and from what i can tell equally challenging subjects to usyd and unsw. i do appreciate your input though, i wouldn't want to be in a position where im not being challenged or end up stuck after graduating, but from my research it just doesn't seem to be that way.

Bronx_Tips

HSC
Yo am I the only one who was happy with their atar but now feels empty? Like I just have nothing to do and idk it just feels off especially that I don’t have social media. Like I have alr started studying for uni because everything just seems so broken. How are you guys passing your time ?
WHY DONT U HAVE SOCIAL MEDIA? WHAT DO U DO ALL DAY STARE AT THE CEILING?? Ur that millennial type gen z

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
WHY DONT U HAVE SOCIAL MEDIA? WHAT DO U DO ALL DAY STARE AT THE CEILING?? Ur that millennial type gen z
theres actually alot of teenagers that dont have social media (around 10%)
i think its something that should be applauded, cause social media is completely useless unless its like whatsapp

liamkk112

HSC
uts also has trimesters kinda
not rlly, its basically autumn and spring session which basically divides year in half and gives about 5 months for each subject, unsw divides year in 3 and gives barely 4 months, which to me is absurd for some subjects. i just dont want to be mega stressed coz ima be taking 4 heavy subjects simultaenously

scaryshark09

HSC
what do you use insta for anyway in year 7?

Bronx_Tips

HSC
u look like the type to study all day and have no life so NO WONDER

scaryshark09

HSC
but what exactly do you use it for? i haven't seen a reason to download it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)