Post hsc depression (2 Viewers)

idkkdi

HSC
i have also looked at past examinations from both uts and unsw (at least for first year courses, aka "mathematics 1" or similar) as well as complex analysis, and imo unsw seems to have some slightly harder questions, but overall its not a crazy super big difficulty difference; in first year both had some simple questions that were just computations, some harder questions, a small amount of matrix stuff. only noticable thing i saw is that unsw had a little bit more geometry with vectors than uts but thats not going to change the difficulty an insane amount. im not sure about later courses eg real analysis, but i really cannot say for the first year that unsw had immensly harder exams than uts.

in terms of representation from uts in quant trading, a simple search of linkedin for master of quantiative finance shows multiple senior positions and many quant roles at various respected companies, including commonwealth bank, anz, deloitte, and asx, just looking at the first few results. im not saying that unsw and usyd people dont have any quant roles but uts definetly has a very respected program with their masters in quantiative finance, which of course does trickle down into reputation from graduates from bachelor degrees.

honestly i cant really see the huge disadvantage from studying at uts, there seems to be ample opportunities, the commute is easy for me, the subjects and curriculum match my interests, no trimesters where curriculum is compressed, and from what i can tell equally challenging subjects to usyd and unsw. i do appreciate your input though, i wouldn't want to be in a position where im not being challenged or end up stuck after graduating, but from my research it just doesn't seem to be that way.
are you looking at the normal maths courses or advanced first year maths, i.e. math1141 and math1241, and math2621 for complex analysis. advanced maths in 1st yr at unsw has over 500 students a term iirc, and normal maths is generally not advised for those who have done 4u maths and decently well.

'commonwealth bank, anz, deloitte, and asx' - this is the lower tier of quant finance. upper tier is the 'quant trading' companies which pay 1st yr grads 200k+, e.g. optiver, in which uts should have almost no representation, if any at all.

Last edited:

liamkk112

HSC
are you looking at the normal maths courses or advanced first year maths, i.e. math1141 and math1241, and math2621 for complex analysis. advanced maths in 1st yr at unsw has over 500 students a term iirc, and normal maths is generally not advised for those who have done 4u maths and decently well.

'commonwealth bank, anz, deloitte, and asx' - this is the lower tier of quant finance. upper tier is the 'quant trading' companies which pay 1st yr grads 200k+, e.g. optiver.
i didn't realise that they were the "lower tier" of quant finance, but honestly im not too bothered if i was working at any of these companies, especially banks as they seem like a very interesting environment to work in, and they would also pay great salary. quant finance isnt really my end goal in studying math, not like im studying it just to get into quant roles but it seems like a career with good prospects that the door is always open for.

im pretty sure i was looking at the advanced first year math classes (1141?) and yes they were slightly harder than uts, but nothing too crazy, again just slightly more linear algebra and geometry concepts. i think i will be aptly challenged at uts, especially because i enjoy applied mathematics as well as pure, so the fact that uts' first year math courses are more applied to engineering contexts i think is quite fun

idkkdi

HSC
i didn't realise that they were the "lower tier" of quant finance, but honestly im not too bothered if i was working at any of these companies, especially banks as they seem like a very interesting environment to work in, and they would also pay great salary. quant finance isnt really my end goal in studying math, not like im studying it just to get into quant roles but it seems like a career with good prospects that the door is always open for.

im pretty sure i was looking at the advanced first year math classes (1141?) and yes they were slightly harder than uts, but nothing too crazy, again just slightly more linear algebra and geometry concepts. i think i will be aptly challenged at uts, especially because i enjoy applied mathematics as well as pure, so the fact that uts' first year math courses are more applied to engineering contexts i think is quite fun
math1141 has had a very hard final the past couple years, and from a brief glance at the subject descriptions in the uts handbook, i think there is a lot less content covered per maths course and in much less rigour. the exams from what i have seen are also much easier.

it seems that you are set on the uts course, but i would still recommend against it.

carrotsss

HSC
coming up to the hsc, like pretty much the whole day lol, so from 9-8 on some days (not including breaks), legit like 9-11 hours sometimes which is really unhealthy lmaooo. afterschool probably like 3 hours ish so prob from 5:30-8:30. unfortunately though im not really smart, so i really had to push myself throughout these years to learn and do the best i can, which at least ended well for me in my results.
how tf did you actually manage that damn that’s so impressive, before the hsc there where some days when I did nothing, I got carried so hard by trying early in the year

liamkk112

HSC
how tf did you actually manage that damn that’s so impressive, before the hsc there where some days when I did nothing, I got carried so hard by trying early in the year
there was also some days where i did nothing lol, but idrk how tf i managed it sometimes 😭 i was just sitting there and doing math and physics papers nonstop (ofc i neglected english lmao)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yo am I the only one who was happy with their atar but now feels empty? Like I just have nothing to do and idk it just feels off especially that I don’t have social media. Like I have alr started studying for uni because everything just seems so broken. How are you guys passing your time ?
go hang out with friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)