• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English (2 Viewers)

C_master

HSC
When practicing random unseen questions/essays etc etc would it be more beneficial to type it up or write it? I feel like typing it up on a doc for example is much easier as I can edit it as I go along but at the same time I don't want to lose my writing skills since the HSC is writing by hand anyways.

I know this a 'depends' question but Im curious to know how people who top english practice for stuff like these

Im dreading the fact that English Advanced might fuck me up for the HSC 💀

Whatmathsdoineed

HSC
This approach makes 0 sense…

Your typing speed is faster than your handwriting speed, so you are overestimating what you can produce in the exam within a certain time

“I can edit as I go along” - this isn’t a hand-in assignment, can’t you just do this on paper within the timed conditions?

Asturo2009

HSC
It is better to do on paper! (if you don’t have your essay/ quotes memorised, maybe for the earlier weeks before trials to have them on the laptop screen as you write the response.) The only time I would type anything out was when I was very short on time and wanted to expose myself to a lot of questions but I could not write a full essay. So I had a document with many questions and I would type under each a quick thesis. For trials, I was a bit behind for paper 2 and I couldn’t get as very many essays in for practice so I would also type my mini thesis (first sentence of each para) in connection to the question.

Hope this helps!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
When practicing random unseen questions/essays etc etc would it be more beneficial to type it up or write it? I feel like typing it up on a doc for example is much easier as I can edit it as I go along but at the same time I don't want to lose my writing skills since the HSC is writing by hand anyways.

I know this a 'depends' question but Im curious to know how people who top english practice for stuff like these

for unseen texts / short answer, it's always more beneficial to write it out. if you're getting a lot of consistent feedback it's a lot easier to type it out for sure but definitely try to slowly move into handwriting it. in trials and hsc you'll have to handwrite these sections out anyways so you'll make it easier on yourself if you consistently handwrite - you can get accustomed to writing faster if you do it over an extended period of time

Pipi108

HSC
N/A

just practice writing shit, work up the hand muscles and builds up your familiarity with your points and quotes, dont even bother memorising your essay because if you know your points and quotes well enough, as well as the structure, you can bullshit anything during the test. Never memorised a single essay and still ended up with B6 adv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)