should i do jap continuers next yr??? (2 Viewers)

zyra

HSC
i'm thinking of doing japanese continuers next year as a year 11 elective, but i'm unsure about it because i'm afraid the content will be too difficult or i will struggle with the oral or listening components.... is it difficult? i currently do it as a year 10 elective, which i find relatively easy and not too difficult. in an exam with a comprehension composent i scored 90%, but i thought that was quite easy and not challenging...

however, i was looking at the hsc papers for jap continuers and it looks really hard.... would i be able to cope?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i'm thinking of doing japanese continuers next year as a year 11 elective, but i'm unsure about it because i'm afraid the content will be too difficult or i will struggle with the oral or listening components.... is it difficult? i currently do it as a year 10 elective, which i find relatively easy and not too difficult. in an exam with a comprehension composent i scored 90%, but i thought that was quite easy and not challenging...

however, i was looking at the hsc papers for jap continuers and it looks really hard.... would i be able to cope?
if you're interested in learning the language then you should go for it. as someone who did japanese continuers the subject is fun if you're interested and it is not hard to do well in it *as long* as you stay on top of your work (admittedly, i fell off for japanese for a bit in 2021-22 but while i was able to lock in and get myself a band 6 in the end it was a bit of work catching up because i had neglected it a lot). since it's a language subject, you need to make sure your foundations (y9-10 japanese) are decently strong since year 11-12 japanese just builds upon that, with each subsequent topic building upon the previous one, all accumulating together to form the language and your ability to express and communicate and understand expression and communication. there is a bit of a jump between y10 and y11 japanese but i found it to be alright if you keep up consistent study with the language (this applies to all languages tbh, consistent study => guaranteed improvement). if you practise listening and speaking enough (with listening exercises from your textbook + immersion) and consistently with other people (classmates, getting teacher feedback etc) you will also be fine. source: i got 50% for my y11 prelim for japanese. then i locked in enough and practised a lot of speaking to get around 18/20 for my final speaking task before the hsc.

tl;dr a bit of effort as all languages do but as long as you are interested, you stay on top of your work and remain consistent in your study you will be fine 👍

zyra

HSC
if you're interested in learning the language then you should go for it. as someone who did japanese continuers the subject is fun if you're interested and it is not hard to do well in it *as long* as you stay on top of your work (admittedly, i fell off for japanese for a bit in 2021-22 but while i was able to lock in and get myself a band 6 in the end it was a bit of work catching up because i had neglected it a lot). since it's a language subject, you need to make sure your foundations (y9-10 japanese) are decently strong since year 11-12 japanese just builds upon that, with each subsequent topic building upon the previous one, all accumulating together to form the language and your ability to express and communicate and understand expression and communication. there is a bit of a jump between y10 and y11 japanese but i found it to be alright if you keep up consistent study with the language (this applies to all languages tbh, consistent study => guaranteed improvement). if you practise listening and speaking enough (with listening exercises from your textbook + immersion) and consistently with other people (classmates, getting teacher feedback etc) you will also be fine. source: i got 50% for my y11 prelim for japanese. then i locked in enough and practised a lot of speaking to get around 18/20 for my final speaking task before the hsc.

tl;dr a bit of effort as all languages do but as long as you are interested, you stay on top of your work and remain consistent in your study you will be fine 👍
ohh i see, thank you so much!! this was very helpful ☺

Pipi108

HSC
N/A

konichiwaaa senpai dessss, as someone who went to language school for 4 years before hsc: मैंने एक जार में मल त्याग दिया

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)