is ext 2 maths really worth it (1 Viewer)

Armon

HSC
? And yet a good proportion of said students you're referring to- have tuition and therefore infinitely more access to help and resources assuming from the fact they believe something as simple as having a 'positive attitude' will correlate to a band 6? From the stand point of students who do not do tuition for 4u, it is much harder to achieve a band 6. Your 'observation' is a generalisation of a sample quantity. Does not reflect the majority.
40% of the state gets e4 in 4u and the majority of the rest get an e3 that will correlate to a >90 atar contribution. I had no tutoring, went to a rank 550 school, and had a 4u teacher who hadn't taught the course this syllabus and had me teach it to him, and even still I self learnt all of 4u and got a pretty solid e4 mark with a 99.95 atar contribution. You do not need tutoring for 4u, and 4u is still at the end of the day, a HSC course that is accessible to almost everyone. A positive mindset is literally all you need. If you go in it to win it, youll get an e4 or at worst a very high e3 that will still probably be a 99 atar contribution.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
40% of the state gets e4 in 4u and the majority of the rest get an e3 that will correlate to a >90 atar contribution. I had no tutoring, went to a rank 550 school, and had a 4u teacher who hadn't taught the course this syllabus and had me teach it to him, and even still I self learnt all of 4u and got a pretty solid e4 mark with a 99.95 atar contribution. You do not need tutoring for 4u, and 4u is still at the end of the day, a HSC course that is accessible to almost everyone. A positive mindset is literally all you need. If you go in it to win it, youll get an e4 or at worst a very high e3 that will still probably be a 99 atar contribution.
That's given the fact that these students were given the opportunity to do the course since they've shown some level of competency in ext1? There's a grand total of 3000 students who did e2 last yr, there's around 80000 students doing the hsc each year. and only 1000 of these students band 6ed e2. This is a sample of the very capable students from the e1 cohort. I'm not saying you shouldn't take the subject... I'm simply saying that if you're gonna do e2 solely for the benefits of scaling and therefore intend to not put as much effort into it- implying you wouldn't get the best marks, then there is a fair chance you'll get screwed from your rank and your atar contribution would be lower than what you would receive from a decent mark in advanced or e1. From experience, a positive mindset will only get you so far. And realistically, if one intends to do a subject for scaling and not because they genuinely want to do the subject, you are not coming into class with a 'positive mindset'.

Armon

HSC
That's given the fact that these students were given the opportunity to do the course since they've shown some level of competency in ext1? There's a grand total of 3000 students who did e2 last yr, there's around 80000 students doing the hsc each year. and only 1000 of these students band 6ed e2. This is a sample of the very capable students from the e1 cohort. I'm not saying you shouldn't take the subject... I'm simply saying that if you're gonna do e2 solely for the benefits of scaling and therefore intend to not put as much effort into it- implying you wouldn't get the best marks, then there is a fair chance you'll get screwed from your rank and your atar contribution would be lower than what you would receive from a decent mark in advanced or e1. From experience, a positive mindset will only get you so far. And realistically, if one intends to do a subject for scaling and not because they genuinely want to do the subject, you are not coming into class with a 'positive mindset'.
this reeks of cope. if youre capable of doing 3u, youre capable of doing 4u and the benefit will help you. you dont need to get an e4 for the scaling to be better than advanced, you only need like a 75 hsc mark or like 49 raw is going to be good enough to outdo adv for the most part. If youre going to get a mark in advanced that will be any good, like a 98 or smth, you were more than capable of doing 4u and getting a better mark.

liamkk112

HSC
yea i second this

that’s why i just recommend adv/ext 1 if you’re not doing ext 2 just because u like maths or u are willing to put in the hours for it, advanced still has pretty insane scaling anyway tbh and it’s much more achievable for the majority of students

now if you’re willing to put in the effort then ext 2 is a great subject and u will be aptly rewarded for taking it. armon is also right in that u can do well in the subject if u don’t go to tutoring (i didn’t) but you’re gonna need to be motivated and if you’re just gonna go in because “ez e4” you’re not really gonna have that motivation

i’d say that if you’re doing well in ext 1 / really enjoy it then at least pick up ext 2 for a bit to try it, but if you’re doing that chances are you’re going to be the type of person who wants to do ext 2 -> more motivation to succeed -> e4. whereas if you’re doing well in ext 1 but u don’t really care for math that much, might as well just keep going with adv math / ext 1 and you’ll get a band 6 anyway which as i said before low band 6 is already pretty much max atar contribution

wollongong warrior

HSC
Imho e3-e4 in ext 2 is highly attainable even without tutoring
That's like doing well in multiple choice, get most of q11-12 correct (which is just textbook problems, maybe even q13 and 14 for that matter) and scaling does the rest
~70% raw correlates to an e5 so you don't even need to touch q15-16, where ext 2 actually gets hard :haha:
If a student can handle e1 then they can most certainly handle e2

Last edited:

Pipi108

HSC
N/A
everyone keeps telling me that the scaling for extension 2 maths is insane and you should do it regardless of whether or not you like it cause it scales that well

also can someone explain why it’s so good to do it scaling and like marks wise

i’m not horrible at maths but it’s definitely not my strongest subject so should i still consider extension 2 maths.

everyone keeps saying to do subjects that you like but if we don’t consider that is extension 2 something you should consider if you are good at maths. i don’t think i’m one of those people who get less motivated to do a subject just because i like it less but yeah
Maths extension 2 is like a fine horse, you must stroke it, you must groom it, and you must ride it.

Canoeboat

HSC
everyone keeps telling me that the scaling for extension 2 maths is insane and you should do it regardless of whether or not you like it cause it scales that well

also can someone explain why it’s so good to do it scaling and like marks wise

i’m not horrible at maths but it’s definitely not my strongest subject so should i still consider extension 2 maths.

everyone keeps saying to do subjects that you like but if we don’t consider that is extension 2 something you should consider if you are good at maths. i don’t think i’m one of those people who get less motivated to do a subject just because i like it less but yeah
do it bru, drop it if u become ass at it. if u even get the opportunity to do it, JUST TAKE IT. dont be a downy because u can drop it later. just edge in the bathrooms after a hard math session and you will be motivated again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)