Medicine Rural access scheme (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Does any1 know the relative proportions of undergrad places that are given to rural students? I heard monash gives 65 places to students who are considered rural (ie if u lived in a rural area for 5 yrs consec)

and whats the diff between a bonded and a non bonded student?

And idk what exactly is gonna happen in the hsc so like im gonna estimate probably around th 94-95 range is where I'd be sitting, do yall think thats enough- like maybe if it is not would an alright ucat score be able to cancel out the atar weighting by an alright margin?

liamkk112

HSC
Does any1 know the relative proportions of undergrad places that are given to rural students? I heard monash gives 65 places to students who are considered rural (ie if u lived in a rural area for 5 yrs consec)
for which unis?
unis like une, newcastle, csu etc (the rural ones) pretty much make it 100x easier for students to get into med, reduced atar requirements is a big one (wsu, csu, une have 91.5 atar entry and if u meet that threshold then u make it to the interview) and im pretty sure they cherry pick so its pretty much all rural students coz theres a shortage of doctors in rural areas, so tbh if i was a rural student id wanna go to one of those

other city based unis might lower the entry requirements to get an interview but bc of all the city gunners it will be much harder to get a spot there, unsw claims like 30% of their med students are from rural areas so idk if other unis are similar but that could be something to go off of

and whats the diff between a bonded and a non bonded student?
in context of med bonded student means ur forced to work in a certain area for 3 years, essentially to address the shortage of doctors in rural areas, but in exchange for the government paying for some of ur tuition, if you're not bonded you don't have the obligation to work in an area for 3 years, but the government will also pay for some of ur tuition (csp)

in both cases you defer to hecs-help, essentially "student loans" that u pay off through tax, its not so bad and much better than getting a real student loan

now afaik most med schools have a certain amount of spots allocated to csp (non-bonded) and a certain amount of spots allocated to bonded, eg wsu has 100 domestic spots in med supposedly and only a certain % of that is csp, so if you're not a "top applicant" you might be forced to be a bonded student to have a spot in their program

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)