medical centre work exp y10 (1 Viewer)

HSC
curious, would having done work experience (yr10) at a medical centre with qualified doctors and stuff make medical schools more likely to consider you? idk like experience wise? would it also be reasonable to mention it as a factor that made you want to pursue medicine?/ would it be a factor that could potentially scale larger?

amatterra

HSC
You can definitely include it in your resume stuff like that, and you can definitely say that it's a factor that made you want to pursue medicine. I mean you could say like " I've always been interested in medicine, and when I did work experience as a year 10 at a medical centre I thoroughly enjoyed it and decided to pursue medicine then" stuff like that yk.

Regarding scaling, I don't know much about that so yea

forgot to mention, that doing the work experience shows medical schools that you have a real interest in med.

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
it doesnt make a difference till interviews, they choose from ur atar/gpa + ucat/gamsat + rural scheme if relevant. only uni i can think of that might take it into consideration is jcu for their written application but even then, i think that's just for dent.

u can def mention it in ur interviews tho, could make a difference when they decide to give u an offer to study or not, but unis don't know anything about u till the interviews themselves. unis don't look at resumes for med.

HSC
it doesnt make a difference till interviews, they choose from ur atar/gpa + ucat/gamsat + rural scheme if relevant. only uni i can think of that might take it into consideration is jcu for their written application but even then, i think that's just for dent.

u can def mention it in ur interviews tho, could make a difference when they decide to give u an offer to study or not, but unis don't know anything about u till the interviews themselves. unis don't look at resumes for med.
are interviews a large part of getting an offer?

HSC
u can only get an offer after excelling in your interview and other criteria such as ucat
but theoretically, mentioning even briefly that ive had a bit of experience in a clinical environment could be a small factor that may help me excel in an interview after ucat+atar and everything right? showing my dedication or certainty?

iloveeggs

HSC
curious, would having done work experience (yr10) at a medical centre with qualified doctors and stuff make medical schools more likely to consider you? idk like experience wise? would it also be reasonable to mention it as a factor that made you want to pursue medicine?/ would it be a factor that could potentially scale larger?
uh probably not but it would be something cool to mention in an interview if you qualify in terms of atar, ucat, prerequisites etc. this will not give you an advantage over any other applicants though

one reason why is bc a lot of medical professionals don't take on y10 work experience for patient confidentiality reasons and lack of training on the student's part. so even if you did do work experience in a clinical setting chances are you didn't do any hands on clinical work bc it requires training and qualifications that you don't have. so this doesnt mean too much in terms of your med application. cool thing to mention and all but not that important in the grand scheme of things

iloveeggs

HSC
are you asking bc you got medical work experience lined up or are you thinking about it?

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
but theoretically, mentioning even briefly that ive had a bit of experience in a clinical environment could be a small factor that may help me excel in an interview after ucat+atar and everything right? showing my dedication or certainty?
yep! like i said, only once u get to the interview stage.
even tho ur experience was in yr 10, which is 2 yrs before ur earliest interview, u can still argue that this is what started ur fondness for patient care as u grew up. u still got time before any interviews tho so relaxxx 😍 unis arent looking for if uve done some med experience or not, they're mostly looking for ur empathetic and problem solving skills.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
yep! like i said, only once u get to the interview stage.
even tho ur experience was in yr 10, which is 2 yrs before ur earliest interview, u can still argue that this is what started ur fondness for patient care as u grew up. u still got time before any interviews tho so relaxxx 😍 unis arent looking for if uve done some med experience or not, they're mostly looking for ur empathetic and problem solving skills.
Thats not what I've heard from interview tutors... Where did you get this information from?

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
uh probably not but it would be something cool to mention in an interview if you qualify in terms of atar, ucat, prerequisites etc. this will not give you an advantage over any other applicants though

one reason why is bc a lot of medical professionals don't take on y10 work experience for patient confidentiality reasons and lack of training on the student's part. so even if you did do work experience in a clinical setting chances are you didn't do any hands on clinical work bc it requires training and qualifications that you don't have. so this doesnt mean too much in terms of your med application. cool thing to mention and all but not that important in the grand scheme of things
there are programs run in rural hospitals if you have the holidays to maybe go to country. IMO you need some form of anecdotal repertoire coming into these interviews. It's definately not as simple as 'oh you sound really empathetic, you're in' - that's literally why there is a system of MMIs.

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
there are programs run in rural hospitals if you have the holidays to maybe go to country. IMO you need some form of anecdotal repertoire coming into these interviews. It's definately not as simple as 'oh you sound really empathetic, you're in' - that's literally why there is a system of MMIs.
Fyi not every interview is MMI style. they don't offer u a place based on if uve worked in a hospital or not. most of the questions they ask arent even medical related. some scenario questions ask how ud respond to ur friend who just cheated on their exam, or "are you a leader or a follower." they don't ask about ur medical expertise. you don't NEED to have worked in a clinic or hospital to get in, actually most ppl i know who've gotten in have zero experience in a healthcare setting.

Charlie Lu

HSC
No it's definitely not necessary. Your tutor is very outdated.

Charlie Lu

HSC
Note for anyone aspiring to do medicine, if you are seeking tuition, be sure to find one that has done it somewhat recently or has experience doing interviews. I've seen time and time again, students fall into the pitfall of tutoring for medicine interviews and get absolutely demolished when witnessing the real thing because they envisioned the experience to be similar to what it was back in 2013 or earlier. The same could be said about ucat tutoring and it's absolutely absurd how much they charge (they know students are desperate).

Please be careful.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
ig if any1 is botehred there is also an online workexp thingo available:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)