medical centre work exp y10 (1 Viewer)

HSC
are you asking bc you got medical work experience lined up or are you thinking about it?
ive got it in a hospital and i know someone else who did the same thing there abt 4 yrs and got in to med, so i was just wondering if it was really worth going to there instead of somewhere else. im just trying to get prepared beforehand lmao so i dont regret not doing something that could have helped yk? i also have the option of going to a law firm so i was just debating between the two.

iloveeggs

HSC
ive got it in a hospital and i know someone else who did the same thing there abt 4 yrs and got in to med, so i was just wondering if it was really worth going to there instead of somewhere else. im just trying to get prepared beforehand lmao so i dont regret not doing something that could have helped yk? i also have the option of going to a law firm so i was just debating between the two.
ohhh nice. ngl i can't make a decision for you but you should be aware of a few things:
  • you likely won't be in the room for most if not all consultations with patients bc that would violate patient confidentiality stuff. instead you'll be doing more stuff relating to assisting nurses, cleaning, organizing etc, basically any of the non-medical assistance. the hospital will try to get you involved where they can and stuff but that would be only abt 20% of your time there, speaking from the experiences of a lot of kids in my grade. doctors don't always have the time to do their work + look out for you, especially bc you are not medically trained. you can even expect to be treated as a volunteer staff member as opposed to a work experience student - as in they will try to get the max amount of work out of you they could. i knew ppl working 8-10 hours days 💀👍
  • if you don't want to do a hospital but still smth medical i would highly highly recommend a vet. i was in the same boat as you and i chose to try for vets instead of doctors and i felt that it was really really rewarding. vets do a lot of the same sort of things that doctors do (surgery, dental, pediatrics, geriatrics, general check ups, immunisation, radiology, blood work etc.). bc it was for the animals i could attend most if not all consultations (with verbal consent from owners, most of them say yes), and i found that i was doing a lot more hands on work as in i would see the physical state of the animal and the diagnosis process etc. super rewarding and i learnt loads.
  • a lot of medical stuff including vet hospitals will have rough hours (early starts, long shifts), not a lot of break time etc. i was up at 5 travelling 2 hours one way to get there and i was on my feet a majority of the time i was there. i was beyond exhausted and i didn't have the energy to study afterwards. if you go to gps/radiology maybe it will be more chill but not hospitals or vet clinic.
you don't have to work experience related to what you want to do in the future. its not necessary. if you do, okay cool. if you don't, still cool. medicine especially, is only looking for your academic merit and problem solving skills at this stage, and also wants to know whether or not you are empathetic, friendly etc. if you are doing UNDERGRAD med, that means they don't expect any skilled medical work (treating/diagnosing patients, shadowing doctors) from you, bc those are things you will do later in the course.

if they were to pick you out of 1000 other applicant your work experience from yr 10 wont be a defining factor. do work experience for YOU, not for a med interview you may or may not get (not to say that you won't, but don't you think you're thinking too far in advance? y10 won't mean much for uni applications

hope that helps you decide on what you want to do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)