Tips for ADHD-ers doing their prelim studies? (1 Viewer)

watermelonenjoyer

HSC
This is for a niche audience, but if you have any tips please feel free to add,,,

I recently got diagnosed with ADD, and am currently receiving no support from my school. I find it incredibly hard to stay on task and focus on what I need to do. I've tried pretty much every trick in the book, from the Pomodoro method, making my tasks a game, snacks, reward-driven tasks and so may more. I feel like I'm at my last straw. Everything seems impossible and I have so much to get done before school goes back😭. Anything is appreciated!!!

vajayjay

HSC
This is for a niche audience, but if you have any tips please feel free to add,,,

I recently got diagnosed with ADD, and am currently receiving no support from my school. I find it incredibly hard to stay on task and focus on what I need to do. I've tried pretty much every trick in the book, from the Pomodoro method, making my tasks a game, snacks, reward-driven tasks and so may more. I feel like I'm at my last straw. Everything seems impossible and I have so much to get done before school goes back😭. Anything is appreciated!!!
can you please explain the green pfp trend that you have? I see it all over tiktok where people have that green background and black text but idk where it came from

elliott07

🌙
HSC

hey! fellow adhder here,

One thing that really helped me was having a lamp besides my desk I got one of those chicken lamps from Bunnings and whenever I am switched on with studying I turn it on, once I find myself distracted I turn it off and go out do something else (NOT ON MY PHONE OR TECHNOLOGY!!) go walk ur pet, get some snacks do a hobby thing etc… then come back to your work when you are ready and turn on the lamp, then repeat!! Eventually you’ll have an internal study lamp that you can use that keeps you on track with your focus

if you can’t get yourself to study another thing is setting yourself a 5 min timer say your gonna do deep work for only 5 minutes, eventually you will get into a flow state where you keep studying.

Lastly i HIGHLY recommend meditating before you study as it gets your mind in a calmer clearer state and puts your brain into almost an alpha wave state. I do a candlelight meditation you can use a real one or a YouTube video and just turn the lights off for 5 minutes and just honestly stare into it until you feel your mind clearer and your surroundings almost disappear when you do it, then you go straight to work and u can absorb everything like a sponge!!!

one more thing!! when studying do NOT listen to music with lyrics. I highly reccomend finding a good ambient mix on YouTube like ambient soundscapes they really lock you into a flow state!! or piano music if that’s your taste. There’s a girl called Minnz Piano on Apple Music/spotify she makes piano remakes of popular albums.

hope this helps!! =) sorry if it’s too long

Last edited:

spiderfan44

HSC

im in year 12 but didnt really figure out how to study properly to before prelims. i originally wasnt studying much at all but im now im studying 4-6 hours a day with asd + adhd.

RULES

-maintain a routine!!! study everyday after school. dont skip days, or you will fall out of that routine and stop studying.
-set the time you will study each day and stick to that EVERYDAY! for example start studying at 5pm and finish at 7pm everyday. dont push the time back, once its 5pm sit down at your desk and start. dont stop studying until you reach the time youve set that you can stop, however if you feel like you can study past that, then you can keep studying.
-study in the same place everyday. ideally a desk, dont study on your bed.

Starting to Study

Initially its quite hard to start studying and maintain a routine, heres some tips.

-Set a small amount of time to study initially, for example study only one hour a day, then as you go up that time until its your desired time
-If you really dont feel like you can study, start the routine but do another a task. for example: sit down at 5pm at your desk and read a book until 7pm. slowly transition into studying. make sure the task you do is somewhat productive and not something such as doomscrolling
-as you get stronger in routine, you can start to modify it a bit, such as decreasing the amount of time you study one day. however its best you only start doing this once youre strong in the routine.

Personal Tips

-if you are unmedicated currently for adhd and you feel as if it would help you, discuss it with your health professional
-delete tiktok, on android you can install apps that block instagram reels and youtube shorts. this short form content can make symptoms of adhd worsen
-put on something doesnt require visual attention such as a podcast or a youtube video which doesnt require you to watch it.

foxisaro

HSC

For me when I really can't do work, body doubling is rlly rlly helpful!! Whether it's over call or in person, if I'm surrounded by other people who are studying I find myself wanting to study and do work, partially because it makes me feel bad LOL. But it's been huge for me when I just need to lock in.

Recently, what's REALLY been working for me has been writing down the tasks I want to get down in the next few days along with the approximate amount of time it'll take me. Then, everyday I assign myself 1 or 2 larger priority tasks (at least an hour) to complete within the entire day, but I also write down smaller tasks I can choose to do during the day. The smaller tasks are mainly there so if I get stuck or find myself getting distracted, I can switch to doing those tasks for a break and I'm still being productive + when I complete one, it'll will give me a little reward boost. I pick a specific time to start studying and then set a timer for the approx amount of time the task I'm starting will take me (although I will say for tasks that take over an hour, I recommend just setting a 1h timer and resetting when it goes off), but it's NOT supposed to be a restriction, it's there to help you start and keep track of time if you get distracted. Make sure the timer is in full view the entire time, so a physical timer is good but also on microsoft clock app(idk abt macs) you can pop out timers and they'll just stay above everything else. Also, it doesn't really help for me personally, but you can definitely split the larger priority tasks into smaller ones and just have small tasks because it tends to make it more manageable and helps a lot of people transition into and start studying/doing the tasks!

I've also heard that having a specific place that you've designated as a study area (usually if i really need to lock in, i go to a library) or a specific "thing" that signals you're studying, like the lamp which Elliot suggested. I've also seen someone online once talk about wearing different shoes? But yeah something like that can help just because it kinda forces you to start, which is usually the hardest part!

Hope this helps and good luck<3!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)