Doing the HAST (YEAR 11 ENTRY) (1 Viewer)

enlargedthroat

HSC
If anyone has done HAST for entry into YR 11 for either Girraween, Sydney Tech, or Fort Street, could you please tell me about the main components of it of any other information you remember?

Thanks.

HSC
If anyone has done HAST for entry into YR 11 for either Girraween, Sydney Tech, or Fort Street, could you please tell me about the main components of it of any other information you remember?

Thanks.
LMAOOO why is there a period at the end of "thanks" 😭

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The HAST is the same across all schools that use it as part of their admission process. It consists of four sections:
  • Mathematical and scientific reasoning - A set of multiple-choice questions that assess your mathematical/scientific ability. As such, questions in this section will require you to interpret and analyse mathematical and scientific information.
  • Abstract reasoning - A set of multiple-choice questions that assess your ability to solve problems from information in the form of abstract diagrams. Examples include pattern questions.
  • Reading comprehension - A set of multiple-choice questions that assess your ability to understand and interpret ideas in different reading contexts. Examples of texts included in this section include poetry, maps and diagrams.
  • Written expression - This is the only section that is not multiple-choice. It is essentially a writing task that assesses your ability to express your thoughts and feelings in written English. There are different types of writing that you may be asked to adopt and different audiences to whom you may be asked to direct your writing.
You can study for the HAST in two main ways. First, you should revise the content that you learned in year 10 across English, Mathematics and Science. This will support your preparations by ensuring that you have the right level of knowledge required for the HAST. Second, you should complete practice material covering all four sections. This is important because it will familiarise you with the structure of the HAST as well as the nature of the questions. Subsequently, you can identify areas of improvement and gradually address them.

I hope this helps! :D

LMAOOO why is there a period at the end of "thanks" 😭
Hello Balladeer. :)

enlargedthroat

HSC
The HAST is the same across all schools that use it as part of their admission process. It consists of four sections:
  • Mathematical and scientific reasoning - A set of multiple-choice questions that assess your mathematical/scientific ability. As such, questions in this section will require you to interpret and analyse mathematical and scientific information.
  • Abstract reasoning - A set of multiple-choice questions that assess your ability to solve problems from information in the form of abstract diagrams. Examples include pattern questions.
  • Reading comprehension - A set of multiple-choice questions that assess your ability to understand and interpret ideas in different reading contexts. Examples of texts included in this section include poetry, maps and diagrams.
  • Written expression - This is the only section that is not multiple-choice. It is essentially a writing task that assesses your ability to express your thoughts and feelings in written English. There are different types of writing that you may be asked to adopt and different audiences to whom you may be asked to direct your writing.
You can study for the HAST in two main ways. First, you should revise the content that you learned in year 10 across English, Mathematics and Science. This will support your preparations by ensuring that you have the right level of knowledge required for the HAST. Second, you should complete practice material covering all four sections. This is important because it will familiarise you with the structure of the HAST as well as the nature of the questions. Subsequently, you can identify areas of improvement and gradually address them.

I hope this helps! :D

Hello Balladeer. :)
I see, thankyou.

Although in the Mathematical and scientific reasoning, will there be early Year 11 content or Year 10 content? Do you think it would be necessary for me to learn a bit of Year 11 content just in case? Also, will I be able to find out somewhere the specifics about the 4 different sections? I've looked on multiple sites to try and find specific topics and none give me an answer.

Thankyou for the help!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I see, thankyou.

Although in the Mathematical and scientific reasoning, will there be early Year 11 content or Year 10 content? Do you think it would be necessary for me to learn a bit of Year 11 content just in case? Also, will I be able to find out somewhere the specifics about the 4 different sections? I've looked on multiple sites to try and find specific topics and none give me an answer.

Thankyou for the help!
No worries!

I doubt that the HAST would include questions based on year 11 content. It is simply unreasonable and unrealistic to expect applicants to be familiar with content beyond their year group. Instead, it is much more likely to feature questions based on year 10 content, with the questions themselves being designed to be more challenging. With that being said, there is nothing stopping you from having a look at year 11 content of relevant subjects if you have time. While this may not be very beneficial in preparation for the HAST, it would familiarise you with some of the subjects that you are thinking of taking in year 11 to an extent.

In terms of sample questions, most HAST preparation resources (whether from ACER or other sources) are paid. If you know someone who sat the HAST, perhaps you could ask them to provide you with the material they used to prepare.

HSC
At least try and help? I'm just being formal since I've never used this site before.
mbbb im also doing HAST for yr 11 selective entry, personally im just using practice abstract reasoning sources from like GCSE and UCAT and ive found versions of the practice booklet online but im pretty sure regarding the practice booklet, the questions in the actual exams will be much harder so just keep that in mind. i could dm you some of the sources and info on wtvr else im using if you want??

enlargedthroat

HSC
No worries!

I doubt that the HAST would include questions based on year 11 content. It is simply unreasonable and unrealistic to expect applicants to be familiar with content beyond their year group. Instead, it is much more likely to feature questions based on year 10 content, with the questions themselves being designed to be more challenging. With that being said, there is nothing stopping you from having a look at year 11 content of relevant subjects if you have time. While this may not be very beneficial in preparation for the HAST, it would familiarise you with some of the subjects that you are thinking of taking in year 11 to an extent.

In terms of sample questions, most HAST preparation resources (whether from ACER or other sources) are paid. If you know someone who sat the HAST, perhaps you could ask them to provide you with the material they used to prepare.
Thankyou, this is very helpful.

enlargedthroat

HSC
mbbb im also doing HAST for yr 11 selective entry, personally im just using practice abstract reasoning sources from like GCSE and UCAT and ive found versions of the practice booklet online but im pretty sure regarding the practice booklet, the questions in the actual exams will be much harder so just keep that in mind. i could dm you some of the sources and info on wtvr else im using if you want??
I would appreciate if you sent me those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)