How to get better at maths (1 Viewer)

mewtwo12

HSC
I am in year 11 atm and I used to be good at maths until I got to high school and now I haven't gotten an A since ( Idk how I fell off so bad)

I have tried redoing the entire textbook/chapters before the exam but I still am not getting good results ( got a High C in Term 1 ).
I currently do adv maths but my school doesnt have standard maths so I cannot drop down.

Do you guys have any tips on getting better at the subjects and yes I have done past papers in the past but for some reason in examinations I just can't apply the concepts/theory learnt in class.

funnytomato

HSC
Doing textbook chapters or past paper is not the goal but improving your understanding and proficiency is (e.g. for any question do you really know the rationale behind it so you can adapt to different variations of it, and for a standard textbook level question are you spending more than the expected time on it etc). So the key thing is to identify where the gaps are and AFTER building a solid understanding commit to practising it.

If you have not performed too well since high school chances are that there would be some knowledge gap or debt to catch up on. Hypothetically as an example it is one thing you know the quadratic formula but when using it you would need to know how to simplify surds which the teacher may assume everyone is familiar with. Or even some people in late high school years still struggle with long division and multiplication or fraction or negative arithmetic. The various gaps in the foundation knowledge keep building up to affect both the theoretical understanding and also of course exam performance.

cossine

HSC
I am in year 11 atm and I used to be good at maths until I got to high school and now I haven't gotten an A since ( Idk how I fell off so bad)

I have tried redoing the entire textbook/chapters before the exam but I still am not getting good results ( got a High C in Term 1 ).
I currently do adv maths but my school doesnt have standard maths so I cannot drop down.

Do you guys have any tips on getting better at the subjects and yes I have done past papers in the past but for some reason in examinations I just can't apply the concepts/theory learnt in class.
Always ask yourself what are the key definitions, axioms and theorems.

Unfortunately concepts can be applied in various ways so just knowing definitions, axioms and theorems is not enough. So the best way would be to practice various questions and take note if any trick or key insight was used in a particular way.

spiderfan44

HSC
do u find it takes u longer to understand concepts? u may not fully understand or have forgotten the core concepts you were taught early on that carries on to later math. khan academy is pretty helpful in that regard w fundamentals

mewtwo12

HSC
I find it easy to learn maths like if you teach me something I will easily be able to do it, I just find it hard adapting it to exam-style questions if you get what I mean. Like maybe it is because I am underprepared? But I can always do the classwork in class, I just find the exams hard for some reason

spiderfan44

HSC
I find it easy to learn maths like if you teach me something I will easily be able to do it, I just find it hard adapting it to exam-style questions if you get what I mean. Like maybe it is because I am underprepared? But I can always do the classwork in class, I just find the exams hard for some reason
is it an anxiety thing or you just dont know

mewtwo12

HSC
I have no idea but like one of my teachers said its to do w my exam techniques?? I don't really know what he meant by that...

anonymoushehe

HSC
I have no idea but like one of my teachers said its to do w my exam techniques?? I don't really know what he meant by that...
I use to have that issue but you honestly just got to do as much practise questions as possible and I always asked my teacher why for literally everything they did in class like why we use certain formulas, how they’re derived, what’s the point of learning this and stuff. Also doing Classwork is probably not enough, it’s also best to do more questions at home and u can find them online - and what I also did was that whenever we finished a topic I wouldn’t just not touch it until exams came up, I’d try to at least do a couple of questions from each topic we already did each day even tho we were doing smth else at school so I’m still familiar and comfortable until tests and exams come up

Canoeboat

HSC

sit at your desk and edge to the textbook

mewtwo12

HSC
I use to have that issue but you honestly just got to do as much practise questions as possible and I always asked my teacher why for literally everything they did in class like why we use certain formulas, how they’re derived, what’s the point of learning this and stuff. Also doing Classwork is probably not enough, it’s also best to do more questions at home and u can find them online - and what I also did was that whenever we finished a topic I wouldn’t just not touch it until exams came up, I’d try to at least do a couple of questions from each topic we already did each day even tho we were doing smth else at school so I’m still familiar and comfortable until tests and exams come up
I have prelims coming up, would you be able to give me some tips on how I should revise for the entire syllabus?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Maybe instead of doing exams rn do topic question compilations like smarter math or excel topic by topic to get more exposure to hsc/exam-style questions without the pressure of exam conditions
Also what do you mean when you say “easily be able to do it” since ifl if you can easily solve the questions you should find exams easy

mewtwo12

HSC
Maybe instead of doing exams rn do topic question compilations like smarter math or excel topic by topic to get more exposure to hsc/exam-style questions without the pressure of exam conditions
Also what do you mean when you say “easily be able to do it” since ifl if you can easily solve the questions you should find exams easy
As in during class when we are learning a concept, I can do it with ease and like I know whats going on but then in examinations it just gets too confusing esp with word problems.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC

Textbook and classwork questions are fundamental question- i.e. not a good comparison to past papers which test students after content was learrnt. Past papers analyse how you can use that theory and your ability to apply these concepts into different contexts. Your struggle could mean one of two things. One, very little focus. two, consistently trying to 'rotely' answer the question by trying ot apply the same method of example questions you have learnt during class. On another note, Std maths can set you back in uni if you intend to do something stem related.

Last edited:

mewtwo12

HSC
Textbook and classwork questions are fundamental question- i.e. not a good comparison to past papers which test students after content was learrnt. Past papers analyse how you can use that theory and your ability to apply these concepts into different contexts. Your struggle could mean one of two things. One, very little focus. two, consistently try to 'rotely' answer the question by trying ot apply the same method through example questions you have learnt during class. On another note, Std maths can set you back in uni if you intend to do something stem related.
I do adv maths, not standard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)