reading recommendations (2 Viewers)

amatterra

HSC
I wanna improve my writing and vocab and all that so anyone got any reading recommendations other than shakespeare?

(serious) PLEASE im desperate to improve my terrible writing

vajayjay

HSC
Read professional readings on your text. You can plagarise good ideas / sentences and you'll start incorporating the language.

theaeneid

HSC
N/A
I wanna improve my writing and vocab and all that so anyone got any reading recommendations other than shakespeare?

(serious) PLEASE im desperate to improve my terrible writing
Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita and I think Calvino's oeuvre offers a pretty strong exemplar for good writing

jane1820

HSC
ill give my opinion on some text ive already read and this is the recommended list for a year 10 student:
  • 1984 by George Orwells (traumatising, no character development, the ‘plot’ is in part 3, a lot of *scenes* - i mean the plot is love affair but no smut (not detailed at all), makes u think deeper abt the world)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (started reading)
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (too hard to interpret so it will be perfect to improve writing i guess)
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelly (20 pages of frankenstein’s description of living in the woods, ending made me cry (literally first and only book that made me cry))
  • The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (couldnt finish bc it was overdue (library) but its interesting, independent child, how women are treated, respect, a whole new pov)
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (my sister said its psychological so might be hard to interpret)

amatterra

HSC
Read professional readings on your text. You can plagarise good ideas / sentences and you'll start incorporating the language.
Sorry I don't understand what you mean by "on your text", sorryyy could you explain, please?

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
ill give my opinion on some text ive already read and this is the recommended list for a year 10 student:
  • 1984 by George Orwells (traumatising, no character development, the ‘plot’ is in part 3, a lot of *scenes* - i mean the plot is love affair but no smut (not detailed at all), makes u think deeper abt the world)
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (too hard to interpret so it will be perfect to improve writing i guess)
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelly (20 pages of frankenstein’s description of living in the woods, ending made me cry (literally first and only book that made me cry))
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (couldnt finish bc it was overdue (library) but its interesting, independent child, how women are treated, respect, a whole new pov)
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (my sister said its psychological so might be hard to interpret)
I LOVEDDD HANDMAIDS TALE, i did it in y11 and it was the only book i actually read and enjoyed that i was forced to read for school

hellowellohehe

HSC
im a jane austen book hater

amatterra

HSC
what do you mean by *scenes*?

jane1820

HSC
But its like:
winston and julia immediately got in bed and fell asleep (literally no smut so all good but u can always skip it)

arcadian

HSC
I would recommend reading the paper every morning + a healthy dose of opinion pieces to get the nonfiction juices going early on especially from the nyt and the atlantic. it is so important to stay politically, culturally and socially engaged and informed beyond the realm of institutionalised english, because it will also help you form critical thinking skills that come in clutch for senior humanities and english.

amatterra

HSC
I would recommend reading the paper every morning + a healthy dose of opinion pieces to get the nonfiction juices going early on especially from the nyt and the atlantic. it is so important to stay politically, culturally and socially engaged and informed beyond the realm of institutionalised english, because it will also help you form critical thinking skills that come in clutch for senior humanities and english.
Ohh thank you! I will follow your advice, a really good one too. I appreciate it! 😊

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)