Extremely Concerned About My ATAR - Alternative Pathways? (1 Viewer)

imsocooked

HSC
I know I only have myself to blame for my poor work ethic, but I'm extremely worried that I won't even be able to receive an ATAR of 60, which is required of me to get into the art course I want (I've been looking at Flinder's Bachelor of Creative Arts degree). My internal rankings are abysmal, and all my marks are insanely below average - I failed most if not all of my subjects. My course marks and rankings are as follows:

English Advanced: 35% | 65/66
English Extension 1: 54% | 6/9
Investigating Science: 47% | 12/17
Mathematics Standard 2: 39% | 52/74
Society and Culture: 18% | 29/30
Accelerated Biology (Completed in Year 11): 44% | 26/37
(For Acc Bio, I ended up getting 60 on the HSC)

I think there's nothing I can do at this point. The subjects I chose aren't even applicable to art as I believed that I'd never be able to make a career of it and should pick more 'useful' subjects, but ironically, it only messed things up even more. All my friends are art students so aside from English, I've been by myself in class for the past two years and have no passion or drive for what I'm studying. I know I'm being insanely dramatic, but I feel like my entire life is over and I'll amount to nothing. I'm doing trials at the minute, and I spent the whole holidays worrying and panicking instead of studying. Even if I ace the HSC, which I doubt I would, my internal rankings and assessment marks will drag me so far back that it wouldn't matter anyways. I'll most likely mess up my trials, so all I can do is just study hard for the HSC, but as I stated earlier, that probably won't be enough. I have my Investigating Science HSC Trial tomorrow and I have not prepared at all. If I really cannot achieve an ATAR of 60, is there any alternative pathways I can take that would get me into an art course? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and abandon the notion of going to Uni?

v.tex

HSC
You’ll be fine, there’s always another way. I’m not an expert in this but I know Unis need u more than they need u

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I know I only have myself to blame for my poor work ethic, but I'm extremely worried that I won't even be able to receive an ATAR of 60, which is required of me to get into the art course I want (I've been looking at Flinder's Bachelor of Creative Arts degree). My internal rankings are abysmal, and all my marks are insanely below average - I failed most if not all of my subjects. My course marks and rankings are as follows:

English Advanced: 35% | 65/66
English Extension 1: 54% | 6/9
Investigating Science: 47% | 12/17
Mathematics Standard 2: 39% | 52/74
Society and Culture: 18% | 29/30
Accelerated Biology (Completed in Year 11): 44% | 26/37
(For Acc Bio, I ended up getting 60 on the HSC)

I think there's nothing I can do at this point. The subjects I chose aren't even applicable to art as I believed that I'd never be able to make a career of it and should pick more 'useful' subjects, but ironically, it only messed things up even more. All my friends are art students so aside from English, I've been by myself in class for the past two years and have no passion or drive for what I'm studying. I know I'm being insanely dramatic, but I feel like my entire life is over and I'll amount to nothing. I'm doing trials at the minute, and I spent the whole holidays worrying and panicking instead of studying. Even if I ace the HSC, which I doubt I would, my internal rankings and assessment marks will drag me so far back that it wouldn't matter anyways. I'll most likely mess up my trials, so all I can do is just study hard for the HSC, but as I stated earlier, that probably won't be enough. I have my Investigating Science HSC Trial tomorrow and I have not prepared at all. If I really cannot achieve an ATAR of 60, is there any alternative pathways I can take that would get me into an art course? Or am I just going to have to suck it up and abandon the notion of going to Uni?
don't worry for now - just focus on doing your best, study hard, and maximise your rank. i looked at flinders and their lowest selection rank that was accepted into their course this year was 60.05, meaning that that's the lowest guaranteed atar that would guarantee your admission, but you could get quite a few additional bonus factors added to your selection rank.

there are a lot of alternative pathways to uni even if you don't get in right out of university. two ways to get into your dream degree at flinders is by either obtaining a cert 3 or 4 at TAFE, then apply for university as a VET student and get a recognition of prior learning; another is by applying for a diploma in creative arts(? or creative industries) at flinders university academy (which is one of their alternate pathways that allow you to transfer into the second year of your dream degree). if you're open to going to other unis, a lot of unis esp in nsw hand out early entry like candy, keep an eye out for early entry offers and the schools recommendation scheme (SRS) on uac

Last edited:

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry OP, you have Open Universities Australia; enrol in some units of OUA and then transfer to curtin for the BA, and then you can use your WAM to transfer to Flinders:

Best of luck!

Armon

HSC
Early entry applications are still open, apply. You're free cash to them, they'll accept you even if your marks arent great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)