Chem help (1 Viewer)

jilly12

HSC
I was doing this question and I kept getting 0.51V which I concluded as spontaneous but the answer said -0.51V does anyone know where I went wrong? Cause the book said the half-reaction with the higher standard potential goes as written and the other is reversed. (Sorry I cant show my working out its on my iPad and I'm writing this on my computer). If someone could show me their working out it would really be helpful. Thanks. 1721571269443.png

wizzkids

HSC
All electrode potentials are defined as reduction potentials. The reduction potential of Cu2+ to Cu(s) Eo is 0.34 V and the reduction potential of Hg2+ to Hg(l) Eo is 0.85V. The reaction is non-spontaneous, mercury metal will not displace copper ions from a solution of copper sulfate. Here is the working.
reaction.png

jilly12

HSC
All electrode potentials are defined as reduction potentials. The reduction potential of Cu2+ to Cu(s) Eo is 0.34 V and the reduction potential of Hg2+ to Hg(l) Eo is 0.85V. The reaction is non-spontaneous, mercury metal will not displace copper ions from a solution of copper sulfate. Here is the working.
View attachment 43694
Thank you, also Can I ask how you figured out the net reaction first, would you not need to find the half-reactions beforehand? Is there another strategy or method?

wizzkids

HSC
Thank you, also Can I ask how you figured out the net reaction first, would you not need to find the half-reactions beforehand? Is there another strategy or method?
The net reaction is like a hypothesis- I'm asking this question at the beginning with a chemical equation, "Can mercury be oxidised to mercury 2+ ions and copper 2+ ions be reduced to copper in a spontaneous reaction?" The answer is, "No."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)