I'm so done for, fucked up internals and trials. (1 Viewer)

neuvie

HSC
it's the second week of trials for me and it's been going awful. my goal atar is 85+ but I've just screwed up my whole year. i go to a school ranked around 220-230 and here are my latest ranks.
maths adv 40/54
chem 9/36
food tech 16/21
phys 20/27
eng adv 61/61
sci ext 5/6
my english trial went so bad, I'm guessing less than 50/100 and chem didn't go as good as it should've, maybe 60/100. did maths today and finished it but i feel like i did it wrong so 55/100. that's the trial mark i estimate for myself which is really bad and my internals are just so done for.
i really want to drop sci ext since the major project is due in 2 weeks but i haven't started, yet to tell my parents about it.
however my ranks are just so bad and i haven't really studied/put in my all this year and i find that physics is my worst subject as i don't understand any of the theory content or calculations. I'm really bad at writing cohesive responses in general for all subjects and i don't feel that i can get better in 2 months by the day of paper 1 eng hsc exam. I've started by doing practice maths questions as i find it's easiest to improve in, just that i make minor mistakes. i still need to go back and revise on chem and food tech but i think it'll be ok, chem is ok but i don't know about food tech.
given my context would it still be possible to get an 85+ atar? i feel like my internal mark will be 20-30 given my horrid ranks, and i feel like my only redemption is to strictly get 100 on all exams which is obv not possible at all. at least band 6 everything but i don't feel i can do it, maybe band 5 chem and maths at most but that'll have me at an estimated 59 atar or so.
sorry for the long post but i guess my main question is whether it's still possible to get an 85+ atar? i want to go to uts and do food science+tech or any other relevant course at uts since its reputable but the reqs are relatively high. so i really need that high atar at least by my standards, because a low atar will really be the end of the world for me. I'm just doing so laughably bad. any advice or answers are greatly appreciated and you're all welcome to ask me additional questions about my learning etc I'll try to answer as soon as i can.
thank you so much everyone

wildwestworm

HSC
I think I found my people 😭 I failed math standard twice, barely passed it last term - getting very average/below average grades rn. Let's see how my trials go, I did study a lot more this time so I have a little more hope😅

I am kinda glad I have a lower ATAR goal, but my current grades are still pretty mid idk if I could even achieve it. I think our best bet is to study really hard and get the max for externals, they're worth a lot and it could significantly boost up your ATAR. I will be honest, I'm not 100% sure an 85+ ATAR is achievable for you but that does not mean it's over. There are so many pathways into different degrees, you will be more than okay.

What I learned to do is not overthink it. I was panicking as well but now I'm just doing the best I can and studying hard so that even if I don't get my ideal ATAR, I at least know I tried my best and I didn't just overthink and doubt myself the whole time. What's done is done, we can't really undo our bad marks. My main advice would be to just get to work right now and make the most out of this time. Good luck, I'm rooting for you🎉

BTW UTS has adjustment factors if you do well in subjects relevant to your degree. You're doing a lot of relevant subjects so I'm sure it would boost up your selection rank as long as you get band 5/6.

Last edited:

jn3238291

HSC
I think I found my people 😭 I failed math standard twice, barely passed it last term - getting very average/below average grades rn. Let's see how my trials go, I did study a lot more this time so I have a little more hope😅

I am kinda glad I have a lower ATAR goal, but my current grades are still pretty mid idk if I could even achieve it. I think our best bet is to study really hard and get the max for externals, they're worth a lot and it could significantly boost up your ATAR. I will be honest, I'm not 100% sure an 85+ ATAR is achievable for you but that does not mean it's over. There are so many pathways into different degrees, you will be more than okay.

What I learned to do is not overthink it. I was panicking as well but now I'm just doing the best I can and studying hard so that even if I don't get my ideal ATAR, I at least know I tried my best and I didn't just overthink and doubt myself the whole time. What's done is done, we can't really undo our bad marks. My main advice would be to just get to work right now and make the most out of this time. Good luck, I'm rooting for you🎉

BTW UTS has adjustment factors if you do well in subjects relevant to your degree. You're doing a lot of relevant subjects so I'm sure it would boost up your selection rank as long as you get band 5/6.

it's the second week of trials for me and it's been going awful. my goal atar is 85+ but I've just screwed up my whole year. i go to a school ranked around 220-230 and here are my latest ranks.
maths adv 40/54
chem 9/36
food tech 16/21
phys 20/27
eng adv 61/61
sci ext 5/6
my english trial went so bad, I'm guessing less than 50/100 and chem didn't go as good as it should've, maybe 60/100. did maths today and finished it but i feel like i did it wrong so 55/100. that's the trial mark i estimate for myself which is really bad and my internals are just so done for.
i really want to drop sci ext since the major project is due in 2 weeks but i haven't started, yet to tell my parents about it.
however my ranks are just so bad and i haven't really studied/put in my all this year and i find that physics is my worst subject as i don't understand any of the theory content or calculations. I'm really bad at writing cohesive responses in general for all subjects and i don't feel that i can get better in 2 months by the day of paper 1 eng hsc exam. I've started by doing practice maths questions as i find it's easiest to improve in, just that i make minor mistakes. i still need to go back and revise on chem and food tech but i think it'll be ok, chem is ok but i don't know about food tech.
given my context would it still be possible to get an 85+ atar? i feel like my internal mark will be 20-30 given my horrid ranks, and i feel like my only redemption is to strictly get 100 on all exams which is obv not possible at all. at least band 6 everything but i don't feel i can do it, maybe band 5 chem and maths at most but that'll have me at an estimated 59 atar or so.
sorry for the long post but i guess my main question is whether it's still possible to get an 85+ atar? i want to go to uts and do food science+tech or any other relevant course at uts since its reputable but the reqs are relatively high. so i really need that high atar at least by my standards, because a low atar will really be the end of the world for me. I'm just doing so laughably bad. any advice or answers are greatly appreciated and you're all welcome to ask me additional questions about my learning etc I'll try to answer as soon as i can.

Personally I believe you could get an 85 My brother had a predicted atar of 73-77 and ended up with 91. Yes we were all surprised and didn't expect but there might be hope if you seriously clutch up in the hsc. he went to a high ranked school so maybe that really helped but I believe you could push 85, always other options if you don't. Id keep that chem rank as it will help a lot. Try to also focus on your low rank subjects like eng adv, phys and math, major improvements in these will significantly help your atar.

Goodluck!

neuvie

HSC
Its alr buddy im getting cooked aswell 40% maths std everything else is mid. all we can do is pray and hope for straight band 6's in the HSC. Cram hard with them past papers.
good luck to you too, hope you get into the uni and course that you want! its somewhat less bad that theres others in the same situation as me

neuvie

HSC

thank you very much for your reply! yeah studying hard seems to be the only option but im not an organised person so i dont really know how to get around with cramming, all the times ive tried i just end up failing my test. my physics trial is tomorrow and i skimmed through some past papers but i understand nothing. just feeling so lost and mixed up because all the knowledge im missing is coming back tobite me in the ass..

i really need a good atar and to get into uni straight away since im already enough of a disappointment to my parents and ill be so so so done for if i even mention the possibility of pathways. wsu has relatively mid/low requirements but they see it as a bad place, they wanted me to go to unsw but they lost hope now so its uts or nothing. at the very very least 80 but thats still challenging, at the same time i cant spend my time complaining but i just cant help it. good luck to you too for your exams!

neuvie

HSC
thank you for your reply! ill be sure to go back and revise, ive somewhat started with maths but physics is just always in the back of my head and its making me lose so much concentration, just the thought of all my subjects. hopefully ill be as lucky as your brother and if i do remember this thread then ill be sure to tell my atar, however bad it is 😔

spiderfan44

HSC
maths adv 40/54
chem 9/36
food tech 16/21
phys 20/27
eng adv 61/61
sci ext 5/6
if you need help with food tech or any tips feel free to hit me up

neuvie

HSC
if you need help with food tech or any tips feel free to hit me up
which subjects do you do?
for me in food tech, i feel the subject is mostly about businesses and stuff although no maths. i didnt really take notes so i dont have much material to revise but im planning on going through notes i find online. i was expecting it to involve much more chemistry and biology but the teacher only goes through it at a very basic level (ie just identifying and brief description). i have not checked past papers yet since im fixated a lot more on physics but food tech is also one of the subjects that i just know im going to do bad in.
my 3 internal assessments for food tech went really bad (18/30 for first and second one, havent got marks back for 3rd one even after an ENTIRE term) just because i "didnt meet criteria" or "missed out on a whole section" even though i directly followed the instructions on the assessment notification. but now that i only have my trial this friday, and hsc (unfortunately physics AND food tech hsc on the same day...) im not confident with written answer either. in prelim i did much worse than i expected (~44/77) since the teacher only mentioned aus food guidelines once and never went into detail about it so here i am knowing that im missing out on a lot of information since the teacher's slides are so bad.

spiderfan44

HSC
which subjects do you do?
for me in food tech, i feel the subject is mostly about businesses and stuff although no maths. i didnt really take notes so i dont have much material to revise but im planning on going through notes i find online. i was expecting it to involve much more chemistry and biology but the teacher only goes through it at a very basic level (ie just identifying and brief description). i have not checked past papers yet since im fixated a lot more on physics but food tech is also one of the subjects that i just know im going to do bad in.
my 3 internal assessments for food tech went really bad (18/30 for first and second one, havent got marks back for 3rd one even after an ENTIRE term) just because i "didnt meet criteria" or "missed out on a whole section" even though i directly followed the instructions on the assessment notification. but now that i only have my trial this friday, and hsc (unfortunately physics AND food tech hsc on the same day...) im not confident with written answer either. in prelim i did much worse than i expected (~44/77) since the teacher only mentioned aus food guidelines once and never went into detail about it so here i am knowing that im missing out on a lot of information since the teacher's slides are so bad.
my teacher also does slides, and they arent that great. what i do instead is i look at the food technology syllabus, ill take notes using my textbook on whatevers in the syllabus dotpoints. anything in the syllabus is fair game for hsc, so just go based on that. ive asked my teacher if i can take notes in class instead of doing her wookbook, and shes fine with that. with food tech it has really really awful scaling so id say you should put some more focus into it bcuz it will drag you down HARD. doing your own notes helps way more with retention, when push comes to shove im able to do one heading each day (the bold part in the syllabus), if you lock in youll be able to get down those notes if you work hard.

food tech is more of a subject based on memorising a lot of things at the sort of surface level and being able to explain why its done, rather than developing a more indepth understanding like in science subjects

neuvie

HSC
my teacher also does slides, and they arent that great. what i do instead is i look at the food technology syllabus, ill take notes using my textbook on whatevers in the syllabus dotpoints. anything in the syllabus is fair game for hsc, so just go based on that. ive asked my teacher if i can take notes in class instead of doing her wookbook, and shes fine with that. with food tech it has really really awful scaling so id say you should put some more focus into it bcuz it will drag you down HARD. doing your own notes helps way more with retention, when push comes to shove im able to do one heading each day (the bold part in the syllabus), if you lock in youll be able to get down those notes if you work hard.

food tech is more of a subject based on memorising a lot of things at the sort of surface level and being able to explain why its done, rather than developing a more indepth understanding like in science subjects
ahh i see
for us our teacher gets us to write notes on our laptop but i havent really been paying attention lately :(
right now i have to at the very least start getting a grasp on my phys topics and all, but my food tech trial is also soon so its a lot to process. thank you very much for your tips! ill try and follow them, and good luck on your food tech hsc too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)