• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are your thoughts on the NSW education system? (13 Viewers)

arcadian

HSC
its unfair to reduce atar cutoffs for uni entry bc that's just a bandaid solution. the issue at the very root is that the quality of teaching and culture of learning is very poor. why would you mitigate when you can just fix it from the bottom? less effort for govt ig bc the threshold of success is lower

Bastani

HSC
its unfair to reduce atar cutoffs for uni entry bc that's just a bandaid solution. the issue at the very root is that the quality of teaching and culture of learning is very poor. why would you mitigate when you can just fix it from the bottom? less effort for govt ig bc the threshold of success is lower
Nah i think that rural students should have the same cutoffs as urban students to make it fair

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
and the top 80 schools are literally all in a city???? there are only three country schools in the top 100, and like 15 in the top 200, and those country schools are either private or selective. my old school in the country was literally so bad we weren't even ranked lmao
exactlyyyy. my school is like 400+ i think. its so hard to find the ranking bc we‘re that bad. and while yes my subjects aren’t even enough for people in the city, people in the city would hardly even be able to choose my subjects because their schools generally don’t let them choose them. country schools do.

Bastani

HSC
exactlyyyy. my school is like 400+ i think. its so hard to find the ranking bc we‘re that bad. and while yes my subjects aren’t even enough for people in the city, people in the city would hardly even be able to choose my subjects because their schools generally don’t let them choose them. country schools do.
georges st pierre

HSC
and the top 80 schools are literally all in a city???? there are only three country schools in the top 100, and like 15 in the top 200, and those country schools are either private or selective. my old school in the country was literally so bad we weren't even ranked lmao
There are plenty of shitty schools in the city that have the same or even worse resources than rural schools. The difference is that they don't get an insanely lopsided advantage when it comes to University admissions. If you got to a school that averages 0 band 6s and can't rank 1st for everything & get the insanely low cut of 91 atar for Med, maybe you shouldn't be doing it.

Bastani

HSC
There are plenty of shitty schools in the city that have the same or even worse resources than rural schools. The difference is that they don't get an insanely lopsided advantage when it comes to University admissions. If you got to a school that averages 0 band 6s and can't rank 1st for everything & get the insanely low cut of 91 atar for Med, maybe you shouldn't be doing it.
onion

beanbug

HSC
you're right, there are heaps of schools in the city that are under resourced. in my original post, i said that the hsc gives disadvantaged students more of a disadvantage, which includes people going to these schools in the city so my apologies if my wording was unclear. however, unis also have entry schemes for underrepresented schools too which includes schools in metro areas.
uni entries aren't moderated by nesa. if the unis didnt have lower entry requirements it would be more difficult (not saying that it can't be done or hasn't been done before) for regional and rural students to get the required atar for entry.

jonolad69

HSC
wasn't my point, jackass.

you literally have to rank top 3 in every subject for 90+ in a top 200 school (objectively harder than top 1 in a shitty rural school top 400 you're against maybe 5 people who actually maybe study - if you can't rank 1st there then you're just an idiot)

i was actually responding to the dumbass comment saying "strength of the cohort". which only applies to MAYBE the top 80 schools in NSW, otherwise it's a struggle to get 90+

Bastani

HSC

you literally have to rank top 3 in every subject for 90+ in a top 200 school (objectively harder than top 1 in a shitty rural school top 400 you're against maybe 5 people who actually maybe study - if you can't rank 1st there then you're just an idiot)

i was actually responding to the dumbass comment saying "strength of the cohort". which only applies to MAYBE the top 80 schools in NSW, otherwise it's a struggle to get 90+
why you so mad bruh relax its not that deep

beanbug

HSC

i dont think we're having a very productive conversation here. hsc is never going to be easy full stop, but metro students do have resources and opportunities some rural students dream of. sure, the lower atar cutoff makes it easier for rural students to get into uni but the unis have decided on that atar cutoff for a reason. i would like to hear more about why you think these metro schools don't have a stronger cohort than regional/rural schools. also, just wondering, have you gone to a regional/rural school??

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
imo I think the cutoff for rural should be in the 95-96.5 or maybe even 97 range to make the compensation more fair.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
i dont think we're having a very productive conversation here. hsc is never going to be easy full stop, but metro students do have resources and opportunities some rural students dream of. sure, the lower atar cutoff makes it easier for rural students to get into uni but the unis have decided on that atar cutoff for a reason. i would like to hear more about why you think these metro schools don't have a stronger cohort than regional/rural schools. also, just wondering, have you gone to a regional/rural school??
I wouldn't say resources thing plays a huge part. People aren't simply going to provide you resources (this applies for any disadvantaged school). If you can forage around the internet, you are bound to find stuff that is useful. Also note that resources are available on this site, THSC, studco, acehhsc, and if you have connections on here, you can purchase resources from students (Iirc I've bought some here for like $30 and they got me through in a rural school relatively fine), etc. In addition, tutoring companies have scholarship programs as well if you do want to take that extra step (online course I believe are also in their contracts). The REAL problem is the favouration and more lenient marking in rural schools (something i've noticed was pretty prevalent in the 2 i've been to). As a result, I think its justified that rural students are given lower cutoffs, but not as low as 91 because that is beyond unfair for the urban student. Most likely the reason why the cutoff is low is due to lack of doctors in rural areas. Only problem is that lots of students don't get bonded for some reason, which is just... not it. My tutor got bonded as an urban student with 99.5... and there are some that didn't get bonded with much lower cutoffs.

beanbug

HSC
imo I think the cutoff for rural should be in the 95-96.5 or maybe even 97 range to make the compensation more fair.
i can for sure understand that! would i would personally use that range for regional students and lower it a bit for rural/remote since there is a huge difference between the schooling in the two places

...xD

HSC
No matter how bad nesa is, the Australian education system is still tons better than just say most Asian countries. Heard loads of cases where something unexpected happened on that one exam day and poof, no matter how hard you tried for those 13 years, you're doomed.

nzs

HSC
When I lived in the rural countryside, I attended a terrible primary school, probably the worst out there 😭 There was like 80 people all together in the whole school, maybe 10 in my entire grade and we always merged with the year below us. There was like 10 teachers I think and a principal, did I learn anything? No lol maybe that's why I'm so dumb now. (at least ik how to milk a cow) There was no high school in that suburb, the school I attended was 40 minutes away and it was also a private school my parents could barely afford.. So anyway we leased a house in western syd and now thank god I'm not suffering anymore. We didn't have any wifi, local cafe/restaurant, library or nothing. Our school budget was probably used on the farm animals cause we weren't provided anything, I don't even remember being taught properly with a book or anything it was just our teachers' words and helping w nurturing the animals. It's different if you live in the city or suburban areas, and why is this all about medicine, maybe cause the median population lives suburban and the minority is rural. The majority of med applicants are not rural and don't get as many subject choices/opportunities as other schools do. Try living isolated and attending rural for a day you'll understand I still have ptsd

enoilgam

HSC
Do you like it? What could be improved? What do you think abt selective, public, and private schools? And compared to other countries do you think we have a better education system? opinions on anything else...
Same issue that is wrong with every other education system around the world - its a 19th century solution for a 21st century problem. Modern schooling more or less hasn't changed in over 100 years. Back when this system was designed, it was very hard to access information, so having schooling greatly improved a population's knowledge. Nowadays we are kind of stuck with a system that isnt fit for purpose, information in the world is freely available. The problem is the format of schooling cant change because it essentially functions as daycare to enable parents to work. Whereas in the past, economic success depended on schools to educate people for the workforce, it now basically serves to allow adult parents to work. So the format cant change and we are left with a badly outdated system which isnt giving people the right skills for the workforce.

funny123

HSC
It's simply fact. Urban students are significantly more disadvantaged in the journey to medicine.
Urban students are not more disadvantaged than rural students when getting into medicine lol. If it was that easy than everyone would get 99s rurally. That's why when people get 99s rurally they are considered anomalies.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)