• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 trials (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
with the ruse q3

Suppose John found a raven, and it was black. Which of the following must be false?

(A) "There exist non-black ravens as well as black ravens "
(B) “There exist non-black ravens.”
(C) “All ravens are black.”
(D) None of the above.

i put it into math-gpt and look what it came up with:

To determine which statement must be false, we should analyze each one in the context of John finding a black raven.
(A) “There exist non-black ravens as well as black ravens.”
  • This statement is possible because it simply states that both black and non-black ravens exist. Finding a black raven does not contradict this statement.
(B) “There exist non-black ravens.”
  • This statement is also possible because it only claims that non-black ravens exist. Finding a black raven does not imply the non-existence of non-black ravens.
(C) “All ravens are black.”
  • This is a universal statement that asserts all ravens are black. If true, it means there are no non-black ravens. Finding a black raven does not contradict this statement, but it does not prove it either. However, for this statement to be false, there should be at least one non-black raven.
(D) “None of the above.”
  • This option states that none of the previous statements must be false. Given the options A, B, and C discussed above, only one of them can potentially be definitively false if contradictory evidence (e.g., finding a non-black raven) is provided.
Given the context of John finding a black raven, the statement that must be false will be “All ravens are black” if and only if we come across a non-black raven. However, with just the information of John finding one black raven without knowing the existence of non-black ravens, none of these statements can be definitively proved to be false without additional information.
So the correct answer is:
C “All ravens are black.” if we assume the possibility of the existence of at least one non-black raven.

——————
So do you agree?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
and what would a multi-dimensional truth table for this look like? it would be so complicated you could never draw it

instead of just true and false we would have maybe, might be, must be, etc, - and perception of truth, eg., i saw the white raven but John didn’t so my perception of truth is different to John’s, or can our perception of truth actually change the truth? and time-dependent truths, like things that were once true but not true anymore, or something that has never been true, but might be true in the future, like would the answer change if John one day sees a white raven? - or even supposing all ravens are in fact black, would they all be black in the future? maybe not.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
also how far back do your trials go? for calculus-based maths courses, current syllabus goes back to 2020, and standard back to 2019 - but there are heaps of question in older papers that are still relevant too.

my ones go back as far as 1956 for trials and 1916 for hsc/lc

like this one:

- from fort street 1956 trial Q2ai

fijifrotter

HSC
you want to put up trials from 2024?

here are some to get started

Mathematics Extension 2

hurlstone ; zeta maths ( solutions ) ; james ruse ( better version of q13 ) ; baulkham hills

Mathematics Extension 1

epping boys

Mathematics Advanced

gosford ( solutions ) ; st scholastica

Standard Maths 2

Ascham, Blacktown Boys, Gosford, Hurlstone and Killara in a zip

English Advanced

North Sydney Boys in post #14

EDIT: this thread is getting a bit complicated now so i'm going to try and summarise it like i did last year - and that one ended up with more than 100 trials! I'll add more to this post as more become available
do you happen to have anymore 2u math papers

bruhmoment.

HSC
might be a good time to have the reminder

Also whenever you try to upload on resources section you are greeted with this

WARNING: Teachers and publishers browse this site as well. Do NOT plagiarise. Do NOT upload copyrighted content. You will get caught.

Ironic you asked for legal studies!
wait what happens if i private message people cssa or independent papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)