• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whyd i lose a mark for this? (2 Viewers)

iloveeggs

HSC
you probably lost the mark bc you manipulated the equation before proving. when you are given a show or prove question you have to take 1 side and manipulate that side only to produce the other side

iloveeggs

HSC
bc its a one marker i think they expect you to prove that arcsinx is an odd function by drawing a rough graph of it

kkk579

hello
HSC
you probably lost the mark bc you manipulated the equation before proving. when you are given a show or prove question you have to take 1 side and manipulate that side only to produce the other side
but how else would u do it - this is ngo and sons taught it so i js did the same thing

iloveeggs

HSC
just draw a rough version. i was a bit extra with the f(x) stuff, you could just skip that too and just do the graph, say arcsinx is odd and go straight to the answer

Attachments

kkk579

hello
HSC
just draw a rough version. i was a bit extra with the f(x) stuff, you could just skip that too and just do the graph, say arcsinx is odd and go straight to the answer
Yeah this makes sense too but idk i just did it the way my tutor did 🤷‍♀️

iloveeggs

HSC
Yeah this makes sense too but idk i just did it the way my tutor did 🤷‍♀️
are you sure they told you to do that? bc thats crazy and not acceptable in the hsc

you literally never manipulate an identity or equation you are supposed to prove, you only use one side and do stuff to it to equate it to the other side. that's like you rewriting the question in a way you know how to answer it

iloveeggs

HSC
let me try to do it your way that makes more sense

iloveeggs

HSC
i used the same identity as you, i just didnt edit the initial equation they gave us and proves from lhs to rhs

Attachments

iloveeggs

HSC
hopefully that helped, you can use the identity your tutor gave you but you can never change the question

kkk579

hello
HSC
hopefully that helped, you can use the identity your tutor gave you but you can never change the question
yeah ur proof makes sense thanks!
but f(f inverse (x)) is just an identity u learn in functions so its not like made up by my tutor or anything, what I meant was like i copied the exact proof my tutor wrote because the question was the exact same. i just didnt use the triangle method and used sin(-x)=-sinx but the concept of moving the sin over is used the same17268210047141113747363869208081.jpg

iloveeggs

HSC
yeah ur proof makes sense thanks!
but f(f inverse (x)) is just an identity u learn in functions so its not like made up by my tutor or anything, what I meant was like i copied the exact proof my tutor wrote because the question was the exact same. i just didnt use the triangle method and used sin(-x)=-sinx but the concept of moving the sin over is used the same
okay so this image that you have attached here just showed only proves that -x=sin(-arcsinx). technically speaking you can solve it this way and then say arcsin(-x)=-arcsin(x) but youll get no marks for it in the hsc realistically if its a 1 marker, maybe a pity mark if its a 2 marker. here is the reason:

the only reason they arrived at -x=sin(-arcsinx) is bc they are taking the thing you are required to prove which is arcsin(-x)=-arcsin(x) and then taking the arcsin over to the other side. that is the only way they know found that identity, they didnt use any other identities to get there. you are not allowed to manipulate the equation that you are supposed to prove. if they asked you to solve an equation you would do that, but not proving. this is one of the worst ways to answer this question bc it shows the marker you dont know how to prove it as it is (which is what they want from you).

here is a part of the syllabus for inverse trig for e1
1726822589960.png

you can use -x=sin(-arcsinx) to solve the rest of it IF AND ONLY IF you prove -x=sin(-arcsinx) using other identities like sin(arcsinx)=x shown in that syllabus dot point AND then sub it in in some sort of way and still show a clear RHS to LHS proof. refer to the second picture i sent

i dont understand why you are clinging to this method tho. why are so adamant about doing it using that way? clearly you have to memorise the stupid triangle or whatever. the graph is the easier way to do it, it doesnt even have to be that detailed

Last edited:

kkk579

hello
HSC
okay so this image that you have attached here just showed only proves that -x=sin(-arcsinx). technically speaking you can solve it this way and then say arcsin(-x)=-arcsin(x) but youll get no marks for it in the hsc realistically if its a 1 marker, maybe a pity mark if its a 2 marker. here is the reason:

the only reason they arrived at -x=sin(-arcsinx) is bc they are taking the thing you are required to prove which is arcsin(-x)=-arcsin(x) and then taking the arcsin over to the other side. that is the only way they know found that identity, they didnt use any other identities to get there. you are not allowed to manipulate the equation that you are supposed to prove. if they asked you to solve an equation you would do that, but not proving. this is one of the worst ways to answer this question bc it shows the marker you dont know how to prove it as it is (which is what they want from you).

here is a part of the syllabus for inverse trig for e1
View attachment 44298

you can use -x=sin(-arcsinx) to solve the rest of it IF AND ONLY IF you prove -x=sin(-arcsinx) using other identities like sin(arcsinx)=x shown in that syllabus dot point AND then sub it in in some sort of way and still show a clear RHS to LHS proof. refer to the second picture i sent

i dont understand why you are clinging to this method tho. why are so adamant about doing it using that way? clearly you have to memorise the stupid triangle or whatever. the graph is the easier way to do it, it doesnt even have to be that detailed
im clinging to this method so i can guilt trip the teacher into giving me the mark 😍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)