• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

which of my subjects would you recommend focusing on early the most? (and how would you study them) (1 Viewer)

isho-3

HSC
i'm trying to study early for at least most of my subjects before hsc (one of them i probs won't find materials for online) but i'm absolute shit at prioritizing and i don't know where to start for some of them. i think i know which ones i'm putting on the backburner for when i get too bored of the higher-priority subjects, but i don't know which ones i might find more rewarding later on to study the material early for. i'm also trying to take into account what i'm planning to have in

here are my current 14 units (6x2u + 2x1u): english adv. + ext.1, math advanced + ext.1, biology, chinese continuers, drama, entertainment (vet). sure this might change before prelims, but i'd like to have an idea of what to do now.

my current plan is to drop bio later on (dunno whether before prelims or afterwards, depends on trying it later) to make space for eng ext.2 if i can, and even if i'm barred from taking it i'm still most likely going to drop it just so i dont have to do a full 14 units later on. this means chinese continuers i'm doing because i've been taught chinese at a likely higher level than the hsc is offering beforehand (mandatory language in an old school), and i'm pretty confident that i'll be able to relearn the material quick. i'm doing english ext1 bc i genuinely like english and (as previously stated) am aiming to go for ext2 in y12, and i'm doing math ext1 bc i'm very confident in maths so far and it's an all-round good choice for a backup unit just in case things go south with drama/ent(vet). those 2 i picked because i've got a good impression of the content so far and like the idea of possibly working in theatre later on if my current passions don't translate into something worth doing as a job, but i know that drama & vet subjects scale pretty shit & i'm certainly not one of the best in my drama class, so i'm not banking my atar on either of them.

so ideally i'll have 13 units (5x2u + 3x1u) during y12: english adv. + ext.1 + ext.2, math adv. + ext.1, chinese continuers, drama, entertainment (vet).

advice is appreciated, especially if you're currently doing/have finished any of these subjects, bc i really don't know what to expect. like, i have an approximation of what content will be discussed but i've got no idea how to apply that into actually studying for the subject. if you don't mind sharing, i'd also like to hear about your guys' personal experience with these subjects in terms of how you liked it?? maybe it'll get me more psyched to study. idk

thanks!

zzz5428

HSC
Looking at your current units, you should probably prioritise English Adv, Maths Ext 1, Maths Adv, English Ext 1, English Ext 2, Chinese and Drama/Entertainment in that order.

English Adv ->Always counted in your HSC
Maths Ext 1 + Maths Adv -> Very high scaling + easy as you have mentioned you are confident. This could be pushed lower tbh if you can perform well without a great amount of preperation
English Ext 1 and 2-> Very time consuming for the amount of units its worth (especially 4u eng) but scaling is alright so you might want to prioritise this over maths depending on performance
Chinese Continuers -> Languages are high scaling and you probably have experience with it so not much practice needed
Drama/Entertainment -> Unfortunately not very high scaling compared to the other subjects but you do have a passion for it so that should alleviate some of the effort. Also it will be very unlikely that these subjects will be your contribute to your ATAR.

Demons

HSC
i'm trying to study early for at least most of my subjects before hsc (one of them i probs won't find materials for online) but i'm absolute shit at prioritizing and i don't know where to start for some of them. i think i know which ones i'm putting on the backburner for when i get too bored of the higher-priority subjects, but i don't know which ones i might find more rewarding later on to study the material early for. i'm also trying to take into account what i'm planning to have in

here are my current 14 units (6x2u + 2x1u): english adv. + ext.1, math advanced + ext.1, biology, chinese continuers, drama, entertainment (vet). sure this might change before prelims, but i'd like to have an idea of what to do now.

my current plan is to drop bio later on (dunno whether before prelims or afterwards, depends on trying it later) to make space for eng ext.2 if i can, and even if i'm barred from taking it i'm still most likely going to drop it just so i dont have to do a full 14 units later on. this means chinese continuers i'm doing because i've been taught chinese at a likely higher level than the hsc is offering beforehand (mandatory language in an old school), and i'm pretty confident that i'll be able to relearn the material quick. i'm doing english ext1 bc i genuinely like english and (as previously stated) am aiming to go for ext2 in y12, and i'm doing math ext1 bc i'm very confident in maths so far and it's an all-round good choice for a backup unit just in case things go south with drama/ent(vet). those 2 i picked because i've got a good impression of the content so far and like the idea of possibly working in theatre later on if my current passions don't translate into something worth doing as a job, but i know that drama & vet subjects scale pretty shit & i'm certainly not one of the best in my drama class, so i'm not banking my atar on either of them.

so ideally i'll have 13 units (5x2u + 3x1u) during y12: english adv. + ext.1 + ext.2, math adv. + ext.1, chinese continuers, drama, entertainment (vet).

advice is appreciated, especially if you're currently doing/have finished any of these subjects, bc i really don't know what to expect. like, i have an approximation of what content will be discussed but i've got no idea how to apply that into actually studying for the subject. if you don't mind sharing, i'd also like to hear about your guys' personal experience with these subjects in terms of how you liked it?? maybe it'll get me more psyched to study. idk

thanks!
I would tell you one thing, start planning your individual project for drama from now and try finish it early so that you have more time to focus on the group project and build your content knowledge cause the low scaling in this mixed with the poor time management is a recipe for disaster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)