• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

time management in exams (1 Viewer)

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC
ive always had an issue with spending a lot more time on answering questions in an exam than most of my peers (e.g. when some ppl finish with like 20 min to spare i will only just finish). the reason i have been fine with it so far is that i am very accurate in terms of not losing marks on the all of the questions i do attempt, to the point where in some scenarios i have even left a few questions blank on a test and still gotten above average marks. so what that means for me is that unless i have a responsse prepared for a subject like english i lowkey work slow in exams and stuff like that

my issue is that if i work quickly through questions i make a lot more mistakes than i can fix in my checking time, so i am more inclined to take my time and do them all as correct as possible and take my chances on finishing the paper or having time left over. but then again im not happy with leaving questions blank or having less time left over than my peers bc that means im disadvantaging myself in terms of accessing top marks

so how do you actually speed up and have time left over in exams while still having decent accuracy? is it just practise papers or is there smth else that helps?

ShhQuietPlease

Co-founder @ Zeta Education
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't think about the pink elephant. I can almost bet you thought of the pink elephant.

I wish I could tell you (and all my students) to not think about time. However, that'll just make you more conscious of the time and stress you out. I had the same problem too when I was in HSC. Staring at the clock and putting myself under the pressure of having to solve x marks in y minutes. Breath. HSC is already stressful enough.

My advice to myself and others was to keep practicing under the same conditions. Your brain does wonderful things when exposed to stress. It adapts and soon you learn to breath, your body exits out of fight or flight mode and diverts energy to critical think and solving.

However, it's not going to happen overnight. So keep practicing under exam conditions and trust that one day it'll get easier.

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC
Don't think about the pink elephant. I can almost bet you thought of the pink elephant.

I wish I could tell you (and all my students) to not think about time. However, that'll just make you more conscious of the time and stress you out. I had the same problem too when I was in HSC. Staring at the clock and putting myself under the pressure of having to solve x marks in y minutes. Breath. HSC is already stressful enough.

My advice to myself and others was to keep practicing under the same conditions. Your brain does wonderful things when exposed to stress. It adapts and soon you learn to breath, your body exits out of fight or flight mode and diverts energy to critical think and solving.

However, it's not going to happen overnight. So keep practicing under exam conditions and trust that one day it'll get easier.
thanks!

Solarised

HSC
ive always had an issue with spending a lot more time on answering questions in an exam than most of my peers (e.g. when some ppl finish with like 20 min to spare i will only just finish). the reason i have been fine with it so far is that i am very accurate in terms of not losing marks on the all of the questions i do attempt, to the point where in some scenarios i have even left a few questions blank on a test and still gotten above average marks. so what that means for me is that unless i have a responsse prepared for a subject like english i lowkey work slow in exams and stuff like that

my issue is that if i work quickly through questions i make a lot more mistakes than i can fix in my checking time, so i am more inclined to take my time and do them all as correct as possible and take my chances on finishing the paper or having time left over. but then again im not happy with leaving questions blank or having less time left over than my peers bc that means im disadvantaging myself in terms of accessing top marks

so how do you actually speed up and have time left over in exams while still having decent accuracy? is it just practise papers or is there smth else that helps?
Blitz through multiple choice and do not ponder over any of the answers most of the time you just doubted yourself, and if you doubt yourself in an exam, its means your not prepared and will increase your stress. Don't look around at others who have finished early and focus upon yourself. In short answers don't write more than you have too the amount of lines provided is enough. For essays, plan as you go something that's easy to learn but hard to master, this saves you bout 10 mins per essay. But the most important thing is don't look at the clock or others around you, this not only wastes time but increases your anxiety leading to forgetfulness. Hopefully we all do well in exams gl 👍

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC
Blitz through multiple choice and do not ponder over any of the answers most of the time you just doubted yourself, and if you doubt yourself in an exam, its means your not prepared and will increase your stress. Don't look around at others who have finished early and focus upon yourself. In short answers don't write more than you have too the amount of lines provided is enough. For essays, plan as you go something that's easy to learn but hard to master, this saves you bout 10 mins per essay. But the most important thing is don't look at the clock or others around you, this not only wastes time but increases your anxiety leading to forgetfulness. Hopefully we all do well in exams gl 👍
thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)